Feral Cat ?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post

Most counties, such as Sumter, have leash laws that apply to all domestic animals allowed in the home. Sumter Code 4-10 states the animal must be confined on the owners propery at all times or under control or on a leash when off the owners property, otherwise a citation will be issued for the animal running free.

Our Villages Deed Restrictions state "when not within the confines of the home, shall be restrained by a leash."
The Sumter County leash laws apply to dogs-not cats. Quoting from sumtercountyfl.gov/FAQ.aspx?QID-the Sumter County, FL - Official Website
"1. What are the leash laws in Sumter County?
County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property."

Something to note, also, is that not ALL Village Deed Restrictions make any notation regarding leashing of pets.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Come on.....common sense dictates this applies to all pets even though cats are not specified. If you had a pet lion, would it be okay to let it run loose?

Also, county leash laws superceed any deed restrictions since the village lies within a county.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM

If the Sumter County law applied to cats, it would state so specifically. Laws are not written to be ambiguous. Marion County's law specifically states dogs and cats.
And, no, I personally do not believe an owner should allow its cat to roam freely, but I do wish people would stop spreading erroneous information.
(p.s. referring to "common sense" makes no sense and implies a very negative conotation regarding someone else's ideas and opinions-I'm sure you did not mean to be that rude.)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

See thread on "Barking Dog." Cats are a nuisance and interfere with Quiet Enjoyment of your property.

I'm glad Marion mentions cats.

The fact remains, whether you consider it erroneous info or not, someone other than the owner of the animal, should not have to put up with it doing its business on your property, digging up your flower beds, seeking shelter in your garage and knocking things off shelving.

Follow the Golden Rule and it will come to light for you.

And yes, this was not meant to be rude.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 PM

Sounds like you've not had very good experience with cats. So I can see your point of view about leashing animals.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
Sounds like you've not had very good experience with cats. So I can see your point of view about leashing animals.
I am very allergic to cats and frankly, don't particularly like them. I think anyone who wants to have a pet cat should be permitted to have one, if your covenances permit it. I assume that means the pet owner will be responsible for the pet cat and take care of the pet cat, and keep the cat at their own home. When they are running loose in my yard and elsewhere, no one is taking care of them.
I also think I should be allowed to not have a cat around if I prefer not to, in my yard and home.
Please don't suggest what I should do or not do to a wild, feral, or loose cat should he be in my yard or my garage. I don't know how to tell the difference between a pet and a feral cat, and I don't want either one. Part of taking care of a pet cat is spaying them, so a large possibly pregnant cat does not have a responsible owner. There is more to cat ownership than feeding it. Keep your cats in the house and this problem ceases to exist.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyc6 View Post
I am very allergic to cats and frankly, don't particularly like them. I think anyone who wants to have a pet cat should be permitted to have one, if your covenances permit it. I assume that means the pet owner will be responsible for the pet cat and take care of the pet cat, and keep the cat at their own home. When they are running loose in my yard and elsewhere, no one is taking care of them.
I also think I should be allowed to not have a cat around if I prefer not to, in my yard and home.
Please don't suggest what I should do or not do to a wild, feral, or loose cat should he be in my yard or my garage. I don't know how to tell the difference between a pet and a feral cat, and I don't want either one. Part of taking care of a pet cat is spaying them, so a large possibly pregnant cat does not have a responsible owner. There is more to cat ownership than feeding it. Keep your cats in the house and this problem ceases to exist.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:50 PM

Is it the cat's fault that they have been abandoned? If it was in someone's garage it was probably looking for a safe warm place. I don't understand why some people don't like animals. God's creatures.
TNR is the best thing to control feral cat populations. Plus not letting ignorant people adopt pets unless they spay or neuter. Wish there was a enforceable law.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megardn View Post
Is it the cat's fault that they have been abandoned? If it was in someone's garage it was probably looking for a safe warm place. I don't understand why some people don't like animals. God's creatures.
TNR is the best thing to control feral cat populations. Plus not letting ignorant people adopt pets unless they spay or neuter. Wish there was a enforceable law.

We have taken in a few feral cats, taken them to the vet, got them healthy/fixed and found good homes for them. Although wild at first, they all eventually became loving good family pets. We often still hear from the owners. All animals stray or not are usually just looking for something to eat and a safe place. Right outside your door it life and death in a search for food every single day. I too just don't understand people who hate animals especially ones at risk.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

I don't hate animals or kids. Just don't want any more.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Default Do your neighbors still want to adopt the black cat?

I have been feeding a small black male cat for the last 7 nights. He is about a year or so old - very thin, tiny paws, tiny muzzle. So small that at first I thought he was a female or a kitten, but he is full grown. He is very hungry but also wants to be petted and wants to play. He lets me pick him up without biting or clawing, but is scared and struggles to get back down. If your neighbors still want a cat, I would be glad to pay for him to be neutered and get his shots. It would be best if he could get accustomed to a new home first, I think, rather than taken from the vet directly to a strange home. However, I would be glad to deposit the money with a vet so they would know it was paid for when he was used to his new owners. I would adopt him but I already have 3 cats, including 2 rescues, and this house is just not big enough for another cat. My neighbors say they have seen him around for weeks, so he could be the same cat you found. We live in Bonita just north of 466A. My phone is 352-750-1499. Thank you! Suuzen Anderson
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.