Flea and tick question

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Thanks, Everyone, for all the loving posts. It's been really quiet here except for the whinig/crying my greyhound is doing (even in his sleep). We are trying to get through one day at a time the best we can. Your compassion really helps and is much appreciated. Again, please accept my apologies for hijacking the thread (not sure if I got the lingo right).
No problem. We will all need to hijack one of these threads at some point, unfortunately. You need support when that loss occurs. And that is one beautiful dog. Thanks for posting the picture.

I could almost handle my own grief better than another pet's grief. Might you consider getting the greyhound another companion? I never had two dogs at once, so I don't really know if that's a viable option. Our neighbor had two goldens, and when one died the other was inconsolable. They got another golden, and it seemed to do the trick.

Our golden's best friend, a Rottie, died this spring. He still runs up to any Rottie he sees on the dog beach, thinking it's Sampson. One sniff and he knows it's someone different.

Okay, so now I have hijacked the thread. Sorry!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Thanks, Everyone, for all the loving posts. It's been really quiet here except for the whinig/crying my greyhound is doing (even in his sleep). We are trying to get through one day at a time the best we can. Your compassion really helps and is much appreciated.
When I lose a pet, I feel for a while like my heart has been ripped out. And my remaining dog grieves with me. Dogs are such wonderful creatures and offer unconditional love no matter what. It helps me if I set up a little "memorial area" with some pictures, a candle, the Rainbow Bridge poem, cards from friends. It somehow makes me feel better to honour my pet, and I find that rituals help me say goodbye.

When we lose a pet, we usually wait a few months before even considering getting another. I've always felt it was a respectful thing to do, but I don't feel that way any longer. We had to sadly euthanize Brutus in March of 2009 because of a brain tumour. A week later, we heard about LolliPop, a rescue, who had already had four homes in three years. She needed a forever home. We adopted her. It helped ease the pain. It helped Biggins to have a new playmate. And I know Brutus is sitting in that great dog house in the sky and smiling.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

CFrance, I hear what you are saying but another permanent dog for us isn't possible at this time because besides our greyboy we still have 2 borzoi. We will be at our 3 dog limit when we move to TV. I think Bravo's grief is like ours, specifically for his lost buddy and even having 2 other brothers isn't helping. We have always been an active greyhound foster family and had to give that up this past year due to Mellow's health issues. I am hoping that when we can handle it in a month or so maybe, we will foster again. That might help all of us AND do something to help a dog find a forever home (not ours). A win-win for all of us.
Bare, I love your memorial idea and did that here. I put the cards I got, his collar,a baggie of hair, and some pictures together. It is a sad yet beautiful place to keep for a while as we grieve. Thank you
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM

I can to TV from Connecticut in February 2012 and within a month my Havanese was allergic to the grass and her paws were rust colored from constant licking. The vet at Buffalo Ridge told me I have to wash her paws down with warm water and Selsun Blue shampoo. Well it's a pain in the neck to do everytime we go out but its works and so worth it.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM

I lived in TV for 6 1/2 yrs and NEVER has a flea problem or a flea on my dog.....untill...... I moved just outside of TV... I am infested with them
2 weeks and still tring to get rid of them!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Default Flea problem in The Villages

We moved to TV 5 months ago. We continued to use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks. However, a few days ago we found fleas on BOTH our dogs and we had given one Frontline on Oct. 1st and the other one on Oct. 9th. We called our vet and were told Frontline Plus DOES NOT WORK in Florida and to give both dogs a bath to get any Frontline off. We already had a package of Heartgard Plus for the beagle so vet gave us "Comfortis" to use along with the Heartgard Plus for the fleas and ticks. The new snoodle we just adopted came with a 6 month supply of "Trifexis" which is for heartworm, fleas and ticks which vet said would work good in Florida but the adoption agency had given us a package of Frontline to use on her the first month
and then go to the Comfortis. If Frontline does not work here why would a Florida adoption agency give us Frontline? Needless to say we have been frantically washing everything in the house with Mule Team Borax which we read will kill fleas and eggs and we sprinkled it thruout home on carpets and left on overnight and vacuumed up this morning. What a nightmare. Has anyone else heard Frontline does not work here?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.