Getting your dog to take medication...

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts
Default Getting your dog to take medication...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Thanks to everyone for your kind words, and I hope you get better real soon Steve. We missed you!!!

I good time was had by all, and those in attendance were, tainsley, Susan G., schismax from CT, Golfingnut, Buzzy, JustJim, The Foxmeadows, (Sharon and Bob),Old Coach Ed and Lila,(Eweissenbach), The lovely Barefoot, (smarter than the average Bear), Maxwell01, (Lee and Larry), Sandra aka RetiredSFW, Eileen, (eilenny2tv, skyguys79's wife), Maureen Smith, (mojoe) and myself, (2BNTV).

I want to thank everyone who took the time to attend this event, and I finally got to meet "barefoot" after corresponding for about two years. I finally got to meet Lila, Ed's wife, lovely couple.

As you can see it's early Saturday morrning, but the day, (Friday), went by so fast. I used think a week in TV, went by in a flash, but it's been seven months and I feel like I blinked and viola!!, it's gone. Thus, it's Saturday morning, and Friday is a memory.

Hugs to all,

Joe

BTW - back to you "Baileysmom". I hope you had a great time in California.

Good to see that you all had a good time. It was my dog's follow up exam at the Vet to his 1-21-14 heart failure yesterday afternoon (2-21-14) and he has been quite a pill about taking his medications. I thought about stopping by on the way back but the skies were quite dark and I was with a rather frazzled pooch.

I know Barefoot and Fireboy from Doggie Doo Run Run. Nice people.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Good to see that you all had a good time. It was my dog's follow up exam at the Vet to his 1-21-14 heart failure yesterday afternoon (2-21-14) and he has been quite a pill about taking his medications. I thought about stopping by on the way back but the skies were quite dark and I was with a rather frazzled pooch.

I know Barefoot and Fireboy from Doggie Doo Run Run. Nice people.
Tal, thank you for your kind comment. I'm very concerned to hear about Scout's heart problems. I wondered why we hadn't seen you lately at the Dog Park. Great strides have been made in veterinarian care. I hope Scout co-operates in taking his medication and stays well.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-22-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Tal, thank you for your kind comment. I'm very concerned to hear about Scout's heart problems. I wondered why we hadn't seen you lately at the Dog Park. Great strides have been made in veterinarian care. I hope Scout co-operates in taking his medication and stays well.
Thanks. The vet wanted Sport to only stay at Doggie Doo Run Run for very short visits of ten minutes or less. Scout is the blind 15 year old or so Shih Tzu owned by Ron. Maybe, it is the Ron Jon effect? Some people call me-- Jon-- Ron and Ron, Jon. I guess Ron Jon's is some famous surf shop. http://www.ronjonsurfshop.com/

Coincidentally, Fireboy was dropping off some blankets for the pets at Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital while I was waiting to pick up Sport after his all day at the vet on January 21, 2014.

Sport is hanging in there but not sure how long he will be around. Hopefully, a good long while and we are getting very creative on getting his pills down but it is still something of a morning and evening battle. I did not know trying to outwit a Chihuahua/Terrier would be so tough? All he seems to think about is his family; hunting (digging) for gophers, moles, and voles at the dog park; gecko chasing; watching sports programs on TV (anything with balls); and sleeping. He is not the keen on food unlike all the other dogs we have had.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Dancing Thyme

Tal, have you tried those "pillow packs" I think they are called? Schnauzers are also very stubborn and I have found these packs to be very helpful. I hope Sport's health improves, you never know with these kids. Have you gone to the vet hospital in Gainesville? They were incredible for Sam's liver cancer, and thank God, he's still going strong. Hope all goes well for you and Sport.

Gracie, we had 55 at one Crispers meeting a few years ago. It was a fun day, someday soon I will need to start attending again.

Glad you all had a good time!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Tal, have you tried those "pillow packs" I think they are called? Schnauzers are also very stubborn and I have found these packs to be very helpful. I hope Sport's health improves, you never know with these kids. Have you gone to the vet hospital in Gainesville? They were incredible for Sam's liver cancer, and thank God, he's still going strong. Hope all goes well for you and Sport.

Gracie, we had 55 at one Crispers meeting a few years ago. It was a fun day, someday soon I will need to start attending again.

Glad you all had a good time!
I use a lot of pill pockets. And the vets at Buffalo Ridge seem to be quite good.

I turn 55 tomorrow-- birthday 2-24-59.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
I use a lot of pill pockets. And the vets at Buffalo Ridge seem to be quite good.

I turn 55 tomorrow-- birthday 2-24-59.
Tal,,, your legal~!!!!!!!! Have a great birthday, are we having a celebration???

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 02-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Tal,,, your legal~!!!!!!!! Have a great birthday, are we having a celebration???

No. But maybe Sport will give me a birthday present and take his pills without any fuss and muss.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks. The vet wanted Sport to only stay at Doggie Doo Run Run for very short visits of ten minutes or less. Scout is the blind 15 year old or so Shih Tzu owned by Ron. Maybe, it is the Ron Jon effect? Some people call me-- Jon-- Ron and Ron, Jon. I guess Ron Jon's is some famous surf shop. Deprecated Browser Error

Sport is hanging in there but not sure how long he will be around. Hopefully, a good long while and we are getting very creative on getting his pills down but it is still something of a morning and evening battle. I did not know trying to outwit a Chihuahua/Terrier would be so tough? All he seems to think about is his family; hunting (digging) for gophers, moles, and voles at the dog park; gecko chasing; watching sports programs on TV (anything with balls); and sleeping. He is not the keen on food unlike all the other dogs we have had.
Tal: Have you tried disguising the pills in peanut butter. Dogs love peanut butter and to gulp the pills with it.

I hope Scout gets better.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Tal: Have you tried disguising the pills in peanut butter. Dogs love peanut butter and to gulp the pills with it.

I hope Scout gets better.
The vet's office people suggested peanut butter too for Sport but as much as he loves it, it seems to give him the runs. Ice cream used to work but he does not like it more than the idea of eating the pills. Most of the time, he knows there is a pill in something. I just have to over balance his desire to eat it with his dislike of having to take pills.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
The vet's office people suggested peanut butter too for Sport but as much as he loves it, it seems to give him the runs. Ice cream used to work but he does not like it more than the idea of eating the pills. Most of the time, he knows there is a pill in something. I just have to over balance his desire to eat it with his dislike of having to take pills.
Dogs are so smart about pills. My dogs always eat the pill pockets and then spit out the pill.

Tal, you're such a nice guy (everyone at the Dog Park says the same thing). Happy Birthday, and best of luck to you and to Sport.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,559 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Happy Birthday Tal. You have always been someone to be depended on for good information on this forum for all of the time I have been reading it.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I wish you every good thing, but most of all for Scout to be better.

I hope to meet you one of these days soon.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Sage

Happy Birthday! And happy healthy day to Scout.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Have you tried the toast trick yet? You toast a slice of regular white bread and break it into pieces. Next take an crust end piece and push the pill in between the two toasted sides. Give the dog a piece or two first without the pill to whet his appetite, then give the piece with the pill. Put just a touch of peanut butter on it if necessary providing that little won't affect the runs problem and don't forget to praise Sport and reward him with the rest of the toast if he takes the one with the pill in it. Let us know if that works!
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I find the cheapest beanie weenies to put our dog's thyroid pills in. He even watches me put the pills in them. Good luck pilling a cat. They are the worse.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Happy birthday, Tal, and good luck with Sport. I tried all those tricks with Crosby's allergy pill. Finally disgusted, I just threw it in his morning breakfast bowl along with all the other food. He doesn't even realize he's eating it.

He is a golden, however... they're not the brightest lights on the block!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.