Re: Pet Limit

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Default Re: Pet Limit

Can anyone tell me if small birds, (cockatiels and parakeets) count in the 2 pet limit. Seems to me like they shouldn't as they are in cages and don't go out and bother people. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, Barbara
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Sage

I believe the bylaw "rule" is two domestic animals. And I sure wouldn't count birds as part of that. I was told by a Village agent that the purpose of the bylaw is to make sure people are not breeding animals. And to minimize the nuisance factor.

I don't see how indoor cats or birds or gerbils would ever be a nuisance. Unless your birds sing really, really loudly after 9PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Thanks Barefoot. I agree. And the birds don't sing loudly after 9. Although one of them, Loopy, can really turn your head with a wolf whistle. He had it in his repertoire when we rescued him but i must admit that getting a wolf whistle at this point is my life doesn't hurt!
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Sage

Ouma,

As you know, I had cockatiels too for many many years. (sweet little guys). They both screamed out the wolf whistle constantly in fact I think that was the first thing that came out of their beaks!

I was shattered to learn that the wolf whistle is a natural mating call of cockatiels. Sure burst my bubble. I took it as a compliment. LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Nonie, if that's their mating call and they whistled when they saw you, I'd say that's QUITE a compliment. Just think, the birds preferred you over their own species.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Sage

Red, your hysterical!

You got it all wrong, they took one look at me and kept screaming!!! Thats why they were banished from our home! They kept screaming, and screaming, and screaming :and screaming and.................

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 PM

I really didn't know that about the mating call and cockatiels. I just talked with Loopy and all he did was chuckle. And then whistled. I took it as a compliment like Red said!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Default Re: Pet Limit part 2

Is there a noise curfew on pets? eg...barking dogs etc? Any regulations about leaving them in your back yard if you are away from the home? Thank you !
Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Sage

Don't know what the actual rules are but I'd be hesitant to leave a dog that barks alone very much. I know some friends that have a pup. He barked in the house when they were away. The neighbors complained. He now has to wear a barkless collar or they will have to find him a new home outside of TV per Neighborhood Watch.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Hi! We are dog lovers not dog owners at this time. In some 55+ areas, there is a noise curfew including barking dogs, day or night and we're just investigating some questions that other residents have raised. Some retirement areas have restrictions on dog ownership if they weigh over 22lbs as well as breeds. Does that mean Bowser might have to be put on a diet at some point if he gains a few pounds? Barking dogs can be a dreadful nuisance no matter what time of day and it's good to hear there are guidelines in place to handle those matters. Thanks to all that responded!!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Sage

Definitely no limit on size here. I've seen one of the most beautiful bull mastiffs (brindle) here that I've ever seen. Also a couple of truly sweet-natured Great Danes (yeah, I know, redundant). There's plenty of labs, retrievers and standard poodles, too. Haven't seen any pitbulls, though (and I do like the breed -- if they're not bred for fighting they are truly wonderful dogs). Have seen one chow-chow (now that's an inherently mean dog!) and a couple of charpeis (another not-so-friendly breed). So dogs of all sizes are welcome although the smaller breeds are more popular.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 AM

I have a Amazon parrot, and was told by my sales agent that he is considered and exotic pet no classified as domestic. Or, was she trying to sell a house?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Veteran member

My female Guppy had babies and now I have to answer to the :cop:'s
Handie :joke:
Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Sage

Handie, don't worry about it -- momma and/or poppa guppy will eat all their babies in no time flat.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
Handie, don't worry about it -- momma and/or poppa guppy will eat all their babies in no time flat.
Dee, what a cheery thought; oh well, nature can be cruel.

Marlene, re a noise curfew for pets, just wondering who would tell the dogs what time to stop barking. My dogs haven't learned how to tell time yet. Seriously, most people go to bed early in TV and I think their dogs also go to bed early.

I live in a Courtyard Villa with lots of doggies nearby. I've never heard dogs barking at night! Actually, I've never heard them bark at all during the day unless someone knocks on the door.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.