How did you transport cats to TV from out of state?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Gold member

Wait a second here. If you’re talking about a couple of small kitties, why not take them aboard with you. I think you would have several options. If the carrier could fit under the seat, that would be fine. Worst case, book a seat for them and make sure it’s between you and your spouse. Big deal $150 maybe but less than those other options in my opinion.

Not sure why this is being made so complicated?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Transporting Pets on Commercial Airlines

Most people never hear about the hundreds of pets that are harmed or killed due to shipping on commercial airlines. Yes, they breathe the same atmosphere as humans, but the atmosphere in cargo holds is neither heated nor air conditioned. If the airline claims those areas are temperature controlled, it is not a temperature to which your would feel comfortable subjecting your pet. As cargo, during plane changes, sometimes the animals are left outdoors in extreme weather until loaded onto the next plane. If it is raining, they are drenched, the bedding is drenched and then the wet animal and bedding is loaded into the next cargo hold.

Being in the animal care industry for a number of years, we have heard many horror stories, not only from industry publications but also from our clients. Sometimes, the trip affects the animals mentally and emotionally; some animals never recover.

Please, if you cannot place your pet under your airline seat, then drive.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think our kitties would yell out if we took them on the airplane with us. They are really getting used to the cartrip from Ohio to Central Florida. Remember, wear something the same shade as your kitties. Stress makes them shed. You will look like you are wearing fur yourself when you stop and go in somewhere.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Sage

Cats?

I go by the old adage. If you really love them set them free and see if they can find you.

OK just kidding but you can probably tell that I hate, yes I said hate, cats.

Good luck with yours though
Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Cats?

I go by the old adage. If you really love them set them free and see if they can find you.

OK just kidding but you can probably tell that I hate, I said hate, cats.

You should hope that the local kitties didn't hear you. If they did I would recommend that you sleep with one eye open!

Hey GG, please join in on this one.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum member

I knew you were going to ruffle some feathers when you made that remark Russ.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Sage

We travel twice a year with our cat and two dogs .. a 26 hour trip to Canada from TV. In the past, we've tried a cat carrier which she hates. Also we've tried sedating the cat, which worked OK, but now she doesn't need it at all. She never liked being confined in the cat carrier. She prefers to be free. Now we put a harness on her and attach the leash so she can't jump out of the car when we stop. Of course we provide her with water and a litter box.

She loves the freedom and lies down with the dogs and sleeps the trip away. But please don't forget, when travelling with animals .... ALWAYS fasten an ID tag to the harness or collar with your cell phone number and your vet's number.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Cats?

SAY WHAT????

Russell. You have just broken my heart.

Years ago, my grandmother said to me when I was a teen, "Find a man for yourself who works hard and saves his money and is kind to his mother and cats."

I did.

She was right.

Sweetie is just wonderful!!

She never told me about the men who didn't like cats.

I just told our Mikey what you said and he is very upset. He was planning to sit on you and then show you his tricks.

Oh Russ. Who would think that it would come to this???.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-15-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

It's a Karma thing.

http://www.zazzle.com/people_who_hat...50415476494064
Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I just told our Mikey what you said and he is very upset. He was planning to sit on you and then show you his tricks.

I'm OK with a quick visit but I'm so allergic to cat dander that I need to be careful. But I'll let Mikey show me what he's got.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Not Funny

Quote:
Cats?

I cannot understand why someone would sign on to a forum where people discuss and share their love and concern for their pets and spew their venom for cats. Oh I know, it was only a joke. I for one did not find it funny, it disgusts me.

Last edited by duffysmom; 08-15-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm OK with a quick visit but I'm so allergic to cat dander that I need to be careful. But I'll let Mikey show me what he's got.
I'm sorry you're so allergic, Russ. My son also has allergy problems with cats and wouldn't you know, when he married, his wife had 2 cats that came with her. Now they only have one, and son has developed some tolerance for the beastie. Wouldn't you know, that cat was soooo attracted to my son. Ashes would sleep on Jim's head at night, head for his clothing left on a chair.
My father never liked cats...he was "attacked" by his aunt's cat when young and never forgot. Again, every time he was in a home that had a cat, the cat would head right over to him...all the time!
Do you find that happens to you, too?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Sage

Russ is a good guy.

Mikey is better after I explained Russ's allergies.

Cat dander is a powerful allergen. Our daughter's fiance' is allergic and so is my grandson who dearly loves cats. My brother was so allergic he had conjunctival edema. (The whites of his eyes became swollen)

It is not something to take lightly.

I am sorry you don't like kitties Russ, but you have a good reason.

The G's (even Mikey) will like you and your lovely wife.

We can sit in the garage and have a beer.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Sage

Hey Duffysmom - CHILL! It's not venom. Venom would be calling out someone who is obviously (and said so) joking.

What's wrong with me saying I hate cats? I also hate snakes. And I'm not that thrilled with people who let their dog urinate on other people's property.

When did it become so PC that you had to love domestic animals? I owned a cat once and developed such a severe allergy over time that I had to check myself into a hospital.

You're welcome to your cat or dog or pet snake but I don't have to have them in my house or even say nice things about them.

Gracie - We don't need to sit in the garage. The reaction seems to take some time to build on me. Can't wait to met you and your family.

Duffysmom - You don't have to like me if you don't want to. There are lots of people in TV for me to be friends with. Heck I think I already have dozens and I don't even live there yet.

Pooh - I was at a friends house in TV last week and their cat spent all night nuzzling my feet and ankles. Cute thing but I wasn't about to take him/her home!

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 08-15-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

Russ:

My initial reaction was, "Well, now he's done it! Don't pay any attention to him next time he comes to the TOTV luncheon!"

But, you really, really are entitled to dislike cats because of your allergies! You, might, however, have been a tad bit more diplomatic by saying something more like "dislike" than "hate!"

My New Cat will deign to ignore you, should you ever come to my house!

SWR

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.