How do you feel about dogs? Poll

View Poll Results: What do you think about dogs in the Villages?
I completely enjoy them. They add a lot to my living experience. 141 62.95%
They are all right if they keep their distance and behave themselves. 36 16.07%
I love dogs but cannot own one biggest of commitments. 25 11.16%
I don't feel comfortable around them. 3 1.34%
I do not like dogs. I would like it if the Villages were a dog free community 17 7.59%
No opinion. 2 0.89%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts
Default Glad you both bounced back from that ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGus View Post
I found out that my Westie, Bounce, is more important to me than me. Last Friday Bounce was pulled into a pond by a seven foot gator. I heard her yelp and saw her in the gator's mouth moving out into the pond. I didn't think. I leaped and did a belly flop onto the gator. I was able to grab the gator's back leg and get my other arm around his tail. After a short battle with the gator, he released Bounce and we both got away. We are both fine.

My dog is staring at me trying to get me to turn off the thunder and lightning. Sounds like you did something like this for Bounce.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Here are a few quotes about animals that I'd like to share with other animal lovers.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Mohandas Gandhi

Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

Shall we, because we walk on our hind feet, assume to ourselves only the privilege of imperishability?
George Eliot

Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals. And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.
Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals... In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.
Henry Beston
Great sayings.........

Here's a mystical thought.........we were told that our "grand puppies" who grew into those two massive Tibetan Mastiffs who ruled the home, were bred originally to "protect" the temples and the monks (in Tibet).

This would be why they would sprawl straight across the bottom of the staircase.......or across the threshold of the doorways or at the top of the steps near the bedroom hallway...........they were protecting us.
This is what we were told. It was difficult, to say the least, for anyone to step OVER them, impossible to go around them.....they just wouldn't budge as they were guarding our temple.

I would guess this is also why they barked incessantly.

We had free spirits of our own , with the two Irish Setters........
I could write a book about them....

Again, great post.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Default Try This!

Lock your dog and your wife in your car trunk for 30 minutes. Open the trunk and see who's happy to see you....

A life without a dog is diminished.

***For the Golfer guy who was in Iowa, Kentucky, etc. I'm from Iowa City and went the same route via Army Airborne.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM

You are right. The word is out. I have been contacted by the Sentinal as well as TV and radio. The Villages reporter was excited about it. Then her editor squashed the story. I guess they thought it might hurt sales of houses next to water.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I found out that my Westie, Bounce, is more important to me than me. Last Friday Bounce was pulled into a pond by a seven foot gator. I heard her yelp and saw her in the gator's mouth moving out into the pond. I didn't think. I leaped and did a belly flop onto the gator. I was able to grab the gator's back leg and get my other arm around his tail. After a short battle with the gator, he released Bounce and we both got away. We are both fine.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
You are right. The word is out. I have been contacted by the Sentinal as well as TV and radio. The Villages reporter was excited about it. Then her editor squashed the story. I guess they thought it might hurt sales of houses next to water.
Please keep us posted when this will come out.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Where did this happen at? Which village did it take place at? What time of the day was it? Did anyone help you or you by yourself?Love to hear more about this. Is it in any of the newspapers,television or radio? Did you contact the police or community watch regarding a killer gator? Tell more.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think someone is pulling on OUR back leg.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When I first read the story, I thought it was posted by a Troll. But then PT seemed to know the people involved, Post #40? PT, are you messin' with us? Whatever, it's a great story!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
That's the reason we bought in The Villages. I know a lot of people would find it nutty, but we make all our life decisions with our pets in mind. We are dogaholics, and our plan is to always have two dogs.

We were having a problem finding a retirement community that allows large dogs, and more than one dog. Most communities allow only one dog and many have a weight stipulation of 25 lbs or 40 lbs. Not for us. When we saw that large dogs were allowed at the Town Squares, we were hooked. As we looked at resales in different Villages, everywhere we looked, happy people were walking dogs. And then we found the private dog park, Doggie Doo Run Run, which is heaven sent. So we have Biggins and LolliPop to thank for our decision to buy in TV.
We briefly considered a community in the Keys, but we would have had to cut Crosby in half. And then declare each half eight pounds overweight...

Pets are not pets anymore; they're family members. Even most motel chains have acknowledged that. So has the medical community acknowledged the benefit of owning a pet. I personally have trouble warming up to people who don't care to have a pet.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Pulling the gators leg. Villages man saves dog: Villages grandfather saves dog from jaws of gator - Orlando Sentinel

It was at 1177 Harley Circle The Villages, FL 32162 Google address for map.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Sage

Great video. Lovin Bounce. What a brave man. Sheesh. Hope I would have the gumption to jump a gator in the lake if he got one of our dogs...oh wait.. That's why we made sure we had no water out back except the pool.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkobes View Post
Lock your dog and your wife in your car trunk for 30 minutes. Open the trunk and see who's happy to see you....

A life without a dog is diminished.

***For the Golfer guy who was in Iowa, Kentucky, etc. I'm from Iowa City and went the same route via Army Airborne.
That's hysterical, and I'm the wife.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

WELL...I'll be danged. It WAS a true story.

We seniors are incredible. Bounce you are a lucky dog.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Just saw the story on the news. The gator was killed by wildlife officials. He is to be stuffed and will be at the front of the mans house.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.