How do you feel about dogs? Poll

View Poll Results: What do you think about dogs in the Villages?
I completely enjoy them. They add a lot to my living experience. 141 62.95%
They are all right if they keep their distance and behave themselves. 36 16.07%
I love dogs but cannot own one biggest of commitments. 25 11.16%
I don't feel comfortable around them. 3 1.34%
I do not like dogs. I would like it if the Villages were a dog free community 17 7.59%
No opinion. 2 0.89%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Gold member

Great story, not sure I would have the courage to do what he did. Steve and I would LOVE to have a dog, we both had dogs at one point and there is nothing like the love and loyalty you get. Right now it would be selfish to have one since we are both working long hours but maybe when we get down there. The only drawback is the ability to just go on vacation whenever we want. In the meantime, the cats will have to do. It's funny, neither of us were 'cat people' but we have really formed a bond with the two we have.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think someone is pulling on OUR back leg.

Unfortunately, NOT......

Villages man saves dog: Villages grandfather saves dog from jaws of gator - Orlando Sentinel
Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Pulling the gators leg. Villages man saves dog: Villages grandfather saves dog from jaws of gator - Orlando Sentinel

It was at 1177 Harley Circle The Villages, FL 32162 Google address for map.
This is really an incredible story. Lucky Bounce to have such a brave and loving Dad!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGus View Post
I found out that my Westie, Bounce, is more important to me than me. Last Friday Bounce was pulled into a pond by a seven foot gator. I heard her yelp and saw her in the gator's mouth moving out into the pond. I didn't think. I leaped and did a belly flop onto the gator. I was able to grab the gator's back leg and get my other arm around his tail. After a short battle with the gator, he released Bounce and we both got away. We are both fine.
You are so modest and humble in recounting your story, whereas it must have been quite a harrowing experience. You are a true hero. That pooch will be forever devoted to you and you deserve your new moniker of "Gator Gus". What an adorable pet.

For those with us with grandchildren and babies among that mix, toddlers, etc., it serves as a cautionary tale that there are alligators in those ponds.

When we'd take our teenaged children (at the time) to Sanibel Island which is known for their Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve, alligators abounded, yet the owners of the rental houses would pooh pooh it.
Better had we known how many there actually were and where they roamed (out of water)........but they didn't want to hurt the tourism.

We'd walk on the beach even.......and see the gators along the edge near the trees, sunning themselves........our daughter would warn her dad NOT to go up so close as they could SPRINT REALLY FAST.......Did he pay attention?? Of course not. When he'd take them canoing in the Ding Darling Preserve, there would be snakes hanging from the trees and I'm certain the alligators were in the water...........plus when we'd walk through the high grasses to get to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico.
Gives me the willies even thinking about it.

I just sent your story (Orlando Sentinal which I read every morning) to all my adult kids and such.......

In ending, we were very naive in our twenties when we lived for one year on the east coast of Florida.......during the heat of summer, early a.m., we took our 2 year old and 5 year old to a lake (more like a pond) nearby for a picnic........knowing we'd have to go back to our house before the heat of noontime, we held their hands and waded into the lake.........then packed up the car and left.

One week later, we read in the newspapers that a teenaged girl had been attacked and killed in that same lake/pond by a large gator..........we just weren't aware of the alligators at that time. After that, we knew. GLAD YOU ARE SAFE and the pooch as well. You will become the new alligator hunter in your neighborhood at TV, for sure.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Love the DOGS! Not crazy about the owners!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Gold member

His screen name is "GatorGus" wonder if he came up with that name before or after this happened? Wow all of this in just his 2nd post? Boy what are the odds.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Sage

So I guess we know where Steve stands in the poll on dogs.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkret View Post
If dogs lived as long as humans lived and humans lived as briefly as dogs live, it might be a better world.
I agree whole heartedly.
I wish I was more like my dogs are all the time.

Puppymomma

Tadpole in training.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Sage

Yes!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Gold member

The more peopled I meet the better I like my dog.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.