How do you feel about dogs? Poll

View Poll Results: What do you think about dogs in the Villages?
I completely enjoy them. They add a lot to my living experience. 141 62.95%
They are all right if they keep their distance and behave themselves. 36 16.07%
I love dogs but cannot own one biggest of commitments. 25 11.16%
I don't feel comfortable around them. 3 1.34%
I do not like dogs. I would like it if the Villages were a dog free community 17 7.59%
No opinion. 2 0.89%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

with our last one gone, i just am not going to start again, its too hard when they have to leave
Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM

When I return home, whether it be in five minutes or five hours, Oh what a reception I receive. Two doggies that are so happy to see me, they could turn themselves inside out they are so excited. Try finding as loyal a companion. Although I am lucky, my husband does receive me with like excitement, he doesn't drool as much though
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Would have liked a choice of, "Better than most people".
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove

Dogs are so much company and they love unconditionally. I will be moving from South Louisiana to The Villages the end of September, renting for two months (thank you Audrey) then buying a Courtyard Villa - mainly for the dogs comfort and safety. I try to adopt senior dogs and give them a good life for a few years. I am so looking forward to The Villages and meeting all of you!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Wife and I had several dogs over the last 50 years. Always did our best to train them to behave properly like we did our children when they went out with us to eat at a restaurant. It does take time and effort to train a dog properly. Sometimes (depending on the dog) you need professional help. In our early working days, I traveled a lot, we always had a trained dog at home. Our last dog was a white toy poodle. She was a great companion and lap dog. She lived to see a couple years of retirement and we went out of the "pet business" for good. Of course, never say never!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Mine is an addiction I don't care to break. I have made a lifetime of accommodations to have them in my life- all worth it!
I feel exactly the same way.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 PM

Createquilts, I agree w ya all the way...

Createquilts, i agree w ya all the way!
Dog lovers need to understand 'different strokes for different folks"
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum member

Oops. I didn't realize this was the official thread for the dog poll. I answered all the questions on the other thread.
Easily confused,
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default Thanks for Graciegirl for thinking about doing a poll on opinions about dogs.

I am so happy that most of the people who responded to this poll love dogs.

I have mixed feelings about both dogs and people having lived next to a pit bull trainer in Palm Harbor for a while. He always kept the dogs in cages in his garage which I thought was awful. It probably also made these pit bulls not very friendly around humans as humans had kept them chained up.

Pit bulls also seem to have an instinctual tendency to be very aggressive. Not sure if the best trainer can turn something that has an aggressive instinctual nature into a sweet pooch.

Even our usually sweet Dalmation could get nasty if you threatened any family member. All it took though as approaching another family member while this person was lying on a bed. We got this Dalmatian as a puppy so we never trained her to be protective that way.

Some of the small dogs at the local dog parks can also get nasty after you put them on a leash. They seem to take on an entirely different personality when they are restricted in their movements. The other pooches also re-act differently to dogs on leashes. Much more fights between dogs when one of them is still on a leash at a dog park.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-13-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Default Love animals!

I just love four footed critters. I am currently owned by 3 cats but would have a doggy in a heart beat if I was home more.

I am currently working full time and even though I work from home 2 days a week, the other 3 days are the problem. I can leave the house at 7:30 am and not get home until 7 to 8 pm. Too long to leave a dear sweet dog alone.

I love on every doggy I see being walked. I would love to have a dog some day. Hopefully when I retire.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Sage

Here are a few quotes about animals that I'd like to share with other animal lovers.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Mohandas Gandhi

Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

Shall we, because we walk on our hind feet, assume to ourselves only the privilege of imperishability?
George Eliot

Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals. And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.
Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals... In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.
Henry Beston
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Platinum member

Barefoot, these quotes are wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Sage

Love the quotes Barefoot.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

Barefoot, they are all wonderful quotes. I have a tee shirt with this one on it
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Platinum member

if dogs weren't allowed there, I wouldn't even consider living there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.