How do you feel about dogs? Poll

View Poll Results: What do you think about dogs in the Villages?
I completely enjoy them. They add a lot to my living experience. 141 62.95%
They are all right if they keep their distance and behave themselves. 36 16.07%
I love dogs but cannot own one biggest of commitments. 25 11.16%
I don't feel comfortable around them. 3 1.34%
I do not like dogs. I would like it if the Villages were a dog free community 17 7.59%
No opinion. 2 0.89%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Sage

I'm with you sista.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Poll questions with two or more questions in each choice produce very skewed results. My answers to simple questions would be:

1. I love dogs
2. I do not currently have a dog
3. Dog owners should be respectful of other residents property and privacy
Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
if dogs weren't allowed there, I wouldn't even consider living there.
That's the reason we bought in The Villages. I know a lot of people would find it nutty, but we make all our life decisions with our pets in mind. We are dogaholics, and our plan is to always have two dogs.

We were having a problem finding a retirement community that allows large dogs, and more than one dog. Most communities allow only one dog and many have a weight stipulation of 25 lbs or 40 lbs. Not for us. When we saw that large dogs were allowed at the Town Squares, we were hooked. As we looked at resales in different Villages, everywhere we looked, happy people were walking dogs. And then we found the private dog park, Doggie Doo Run Run, which is heaven sent. So we have Biggins and LolliPop to thank for our decision to buy in TV.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 PM

90% of all dogs are better than 90% of the people I meet.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1130 View Post
90% of all dogs are better than 90% of the people I meet.
A dog can make a man better.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
I totally agree.

Always had two large dogs. Now - somehow - we "ended up" rescuing this Heinz 57 varieties dog that I sometimes refer to as "mini mutt!"

Most of our previous dogs were in the 80 - 110 pound range. This one is about 30 pounds. But, I gotta tell you - she is one great lovable dog! Wouldn't trade her for the world !
Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
That's the reason we bought in The Villages. I know a lot of people would find it nutty, but we make all our life decisions with our pets in mind. We are dogaholics, and our plan is to always have two dogs.

We were having a problem finding a retirement community that allows large dogs, and more than one dog. Most communities allow only one dog and many have a weight stipulation of 25 lbs or 40 lbs. Not for us. When we saw that large dogs were allowed at the Town Squares, we were hooked. As we looked at resales in different Villages, everywhere we looked, happy people were walking dogs. And then we found the private dog park, Doggie Doo Run Run, which is heaven sent. So we have Biggins and LolliPop to thank for our decision to buy in TV.
Originally Posted by hope2soon

We are so totally in agreement. We only considered TV because of what Barefoot said AND the CYV fenced yards. Then TV just kept looking better and better. (This coming from people who bought a motorhome to vacation with their dogs.) We acccommodate to live better WITH our dogs and we aren't going to chang that in retirement. So happy we found such a great place where we can do that. The 2 dog policy is a hard enough adjustment for me to wrap my head around, but we loved the other aspects of TV enough to do it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Smile Saved Westie from Gator

I found out that my Westie, Bounce, is more important to me than me. Last Friday Bounce was pulled into a pond by a seven foot gator. I heard her yelp and saw her in the gator's mouth moving out into the pond. I didn't think. I leaped and did a belly flop onto the gator. I was able to grab the gator's back leg and get my other arm around his tail. After a short battle with the gator, he released Bounce and we both got away. We are both fine.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Sage

Oh my. I am so glad you are both ok. What a terror! Where was this?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGus View Post
I found out that my Westie, Bounce, is more important to me than me. Last Friday Bounce was pulled into a pond by a seven foot gator. I heard her yelp and saw her in the gator's mouth moving out into the pond. I didn't think. I leaped and did a belly flop onto the gator. I was able to grab the gator's back leg and get my other arm around his tail. After a short battle with the gator, he released Bounce and we both got away. We are both fine.
Hi GatorGus,
I see this is your first post. Welcome to TOTV! Funny thing is, I know who you are from your first post. lol. Heard about your incident from a friend who is your neighbor. I am so glad to that you are Bounce are ok. Be careful, btw. It's a jungle out there.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by createquilts View Post
Had to vote I don't feel comfortable around them. Last year I rode my bike 1500 miles and was attacked three times- once a mailman driving by had to help me. Just yesterday I was walking down a path and a dog came flying towards me barking like crazy with the owner saying "he won't hurt you" while the dog is barking like crazy and charging around. It is hard not to freeze up and owners don't understand when you are afraid you are afraid. Almost like post traumatic stress. Obviously people see that I am freaking out and ready to have a heart attack and call their dogs away- I cross the street if I see someone walking their dog and try to avoid them, but you can't avoid all dogs in this world unless you live in a gated dog free community.

Now I have gotten to know many well behaved dogs and their owners - I can pet them and be around them without panic. We have even owned a few but I insisted they were very well trained and very well behaved.

edited to add this happened in NY state. While in TV I have had dogs come up to me, and several bark, but not loose. I still avoid them even on a leash.

I "hear you". My husband has been bit by neighbors' darling dogs, for no reason at all. Once he was riding his moped. Another time he was just getting the mail at the end of our driveway. A third time he wasn't bitten, but was charged at by a German Shepherd baring his teeth and growling while we were taking a hike in the woods. Again, for no reason.

We also have sweet dogs in the neighborhood; usually the smaller breeds. They are always welcome here.

I think it all depends on the pooch.

Also , it depends on the owner. Some people feel their dogs can do no wrong.

We always had dogs of our own when the kids were young; some were crazy....others were not. They all have distinct personalities. We also had cats which are a lot easier.....with no complaints from neighbors.

We are now happily pet free; it's much easier to travel without worrying about the pets. With five grandchildren to keep up with, we are happy, just the two of us.

p.s. When our daughter and her husband visited in the past, they always brought two huge dogs which are known for their incessant barking. Now that the dogs are older and one has died, they no longer travel with the dogs and the cats. Our neighbors are grateful and have ceased calling to complain of the excessive barking, no matter if they are indoors or out on the back deck or on the front porch..........they always begin the complaint with , "We know you have company visiting, but
we just can't take it anymore".

These huge Tibetan Mastiffs have also knocked over my frail mother, knocked over my husband.......again while on a hike..........and no one says anything.

Anyway, we did take our own dogs to dog training school ; sometimes it worked; sometimes it didn't. Again, it depends on the pooch and the breed.

The ones I would avoid would be dobermans and pit bulls . We have read of so many of those attacking people for no reason at all.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Here are a few quotes about animals that I'd like to share with other animal lovers.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Mohandas Gandhi

Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

Shall we, because we walk on our hind feet, assume to ourselves only the privilege of imperishability?
George Eliot

Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.
His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Mankind's true moral test, its fundamental test (which lies deeply buried from view), consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals. And in this respect mankind has suffered a fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.
Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals... In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.
Henry Beston
Love these, Bare. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Sage

okay
Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Ay carumba! That's scary! A reminder to all of us not to venture too closely to the ponds with your appetiz.... oops, I meant to say little doggies.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
This is probably the most amazing post I've ever read on TOTV. Wow.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.