Invisible Fencing.....

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs up You are all the best!!!

You guys/gals are great!!! Thank you very much with your thoughts and ideas, it has been a big help in relieving my mind that I have choices and cant stop worrying .
It seems like every house I send to my realtor has been taken off the market, or sold. I am happy to hear I have many options and that there is alot still for sale. My sister sent me a gorgeous ranch this morning that has a very private yard on a corner lot, so thanks Halle, the hedge idea is another great option. I cant wait to get there and start looking around!
Jeanne
Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Invisible Fence can be a great option for keeping your dog in the yard. We had it in Wisconsin where we had a large yard and it worked great!

Just remember that it may keep your dog in but it doesn't help keeping anything out. In The Villages if you live anyplace close to a pond it's possible a gator could come in your yard. Not likely, but possible. And we all know doggies are a gator delicacy.

Another thing is that invisible fence does not work well on a small lot. The dog does not have much room in the free space before encountering the warning area and then actual correction wire. If I remember correctly when we got it up north they did not recommend for a lot smaller than 1/4 acre.

Just a couple things to think about if you're considering invisible fence.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Invisible Fence can be a great option for keeping your dog in the yard. We had it in Wisconsin where we had a large yard and it worked great!

Just remember that it may keep your dog in but it doesn't help keeping anything out. In The Villages if you live anyplace close to a pond it's possible a gator could come in your yard. Not likely, but possible. And we all know doggies are a gator delicacy.

Another thing is that invisible fence does not work well on a small lot. The dog does not have much room in the free space before encountering the warning area and then actual correction wire. If I remember correctly when we got it up north they did not recommend for a lot smaller than 1/4 acre.

Just a couple things to think about if you're considering invisible fence.

Oh my, oh my.....Jeanne does not want any alligators going after my babies . Thank you, that is another excellent point! Altho, I love the water and being near water, I have already decided I definitely dont want to be near a pond . Eventho, I always go out with them, I recently read that alligators can run faster than people!! .
Thanks again everybody, I will be renting, so luckily I will have time to look around. Hearing everyone's opinions is such a big help!! .
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Jeanie, they can only run that fast in short spurts. Also you just weave while getting away from them and you will be alright too. They can onlu go that fast in a straight line.

Army Guy
Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
Jeanie, they can only run that fast in short spurts. Also you just weave while getting away from them and you will be alright too. They can onlu go that fast in a straight line.

Army Guy
Any way to tell if my short spurts will be faster than the gator's short spurts?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up Thanks Army Guy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post

Army Guy
Whewww thats a relief, thanks I will definitely remember to weave . I am guessing the movie my son and I watched last week about a giant alligator didnt help lol lol . It was so silly, but yet our eyes were glued to the TV .
Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Gold member

Jeanne, that is funny, that is just like ever since the first "Jaws" movie, I no longer enjoy going in the ocean!

Army Guy
Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Veteran member
Smile Good Morning Army Guy.....

That is so very true Army Guy lol....me too!!! They were just talking on the news of how many people fear the ocean after seeing Jaws lol!! The have tagged 10/10 ft. sharks in the past week or two in Cape Cod! .
I love the ocean too, and hope to make a trip to one when my son brings me down in a few weeks, but I am sure I wont go in past my knees lol!!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Gold member

Yeah, I saw that on FOX, Great Whites off Mass. Several years ago, when my wife and I went at to California to see Auburn play USC, we spent some time in San Franciso, and I will always remember we took a day trip to Stinson Beach, and as soon as you get out of your car in the parking area they have a big warning sign, "Warning, Swim at Your Own Risk. Great White Sharks Present". We were like, now who the heck would swim here? Sure enough tons of people out swimming and surfing....we just walked the beach and left!

Army Guy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.