Invisible Fencing.....

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Invisible Fencing.....

If this has been posted before I apologize....I didnt see anything. I will be looking for a home next month, preferably a CYV for my two golden retrievers so they have a nice yard to play and relax (easier for Mommy too hehe).

If by some chance I cant find one, do some of you have experience with the invisible fencing? I have heard they work great from a few people, but was curious as to your opinions?

I know I am probably going to open a can of worms, and Fumar you will probably have a field day with this question lol (just kidding Fumar lol).

They are very well behaved and always stay close by, but I dont want to take any chances of them wandering off, eventho I would never leave them outside alone.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I am under the impression that, technically, dogs must always be on a leash when outdoors. I've seen a well behaved pooch or two unleashed on their property with their caretaker present, but I think it is actually a no no. If you have neighbors who mind their own business, you'll probably be fine. My brother has invisible fencing for his dogs in upstate NY and he swears by it. I wouldn't count on my neighbors not being busy bodies though. It's a big investment and a bigger gamble.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Gold member

I can not seem to find it but I recall a recent thread on TOTV about lightning strikes in TV and I believe there was a comment someone made that the Lightning Protection Institute does not recommend using invisible fencing in high prone lightning strike areas. Might want to check on that further to be sure.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM

What has happened to this country when people who want to protect their home, person, and property, are considered nosey and not just good citizens? If someone does something dangerous or illegal and they live next door to you, would you not want to report the violation before something horrible happens? I am getting sick and tired of hearing good citizens referred to as "nosey" and "unable to mind their own business".
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

Thank you very very much RichieLion and Spk!! You both bring up excellent points, I am glad I asked, so I better go back to plan A hehe.
I was curious in case there werent any CYV's available. So since I am taking a break from packing tonight, I will go look online and see the latest updates. I appreciate your help.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Your dog must be on a leash if it is OFF your property, on your property it is ok.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

I had a large dog and the invisible fencing really worked well most of the time. The only time it would fail was when a motorcycle went by my house. The dog would take off like a "bat out of %^&*" and go right thru the invisible fence. Then the problem was when he realized he could not catch the motocycle, he would return home only to find he could not get back on the property because of the invisible fence. Once my neighbor let him out and he took off after a cycle and because the neighbor did not know how to shut the fence off, she had to drive her car off the property, put the dog in the back seat and then drive back.

As a whole though, they really do work quite well. They r just not motorcycle proof.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Jeannie,

We had a golden an invisible fence several years ago in Conn. It worked for the most part - but if my doggie saw me pet the doggies across the street - that was worth running as fast as possible thru the fence.

There are folks in TV w/ Invisible Fences - but the lightning comment makes sense. A CYV is a great option. Bare has one and lets Lolli and Biggins out there with no issues.

Hope you get here soon...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 PM

I have also seen big bird cages with grass inside on some houses. I am assuming these are for animals. I agree the CYV is a great solution and if you look for a corner or end unit it has a big side yard on it. Good luck. I think you will find many.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Veteran member
Default Thank you!!

Thank you Aceskaters for reminding me, I thought it was okie as long as it was on your own property too. It does sound easier with the CYV so I dont ruffle any non dog lover's feathers hehe.
Thank you K2at, I enjoyed reading your story, gave me a chuckle, but I suppose it wasnt too much fun chasing your doggie and a motorcycle hehe. And you reminded me that my doggies would do that too, when the neighbor's son rides his dirt bike my dogs want to run and play with him, thank goodness for my fence hehe.
Thank you Kate and Garsha, I spent a few hours this morning and there still are some CYV's available, and the corner lots are much bigger!
I started getting worried cause it seemed everyone I liked, was pending the next day hehe . A CYV is definitely the way to go for me.

P.S. Kate I will be on my way in 3 weeks!!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 AM

Just remove the restrictions agaist fences, it wouldn't be the end of the world, or affect anyone's property values or hurt anything accept eliminate a lot of problems concerning pets and where they PEE. Just my humble opinion, I don't live there yet.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Jeannie, we alos looked at the inv. fence and decided against it. Bought a CYV and have no worries now. We have found they are always building CYVs so it should not be a problem. Right now there are aton for sale in St. Charles and some have really big fenced yards.

Army Guy
Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
Just remove the restrictions agaist fences, it wouldn't be the end of the world, or affect anyone's property values or hurt anything accept eliminate a lot of problems concerning pets and where they PEE. Just my humble opinion, I don't live there yet.
Buc,

I have to disagree. Those people who are careless about where their pets pee (or poop) will not become less careless because of fences. They could put in an invisible fence today, but don't. If you are the neighbor affected by someone else's dog, the fence you would need to install to keep dogs out would have to be pretty big and IMO would negatively impact the appearance of homes.

If you want a place with fences, there are some ranches in Duval and CYVs. Otherwise TV may not be the place for you. I am not trying to be harsh, but buying into a place like TV means you have to live with some restrictions that may not be in line with your preferences. I believe many of the folks who complain about "Nazis" and "Police" enforcing the rules did not do their homework and understand the concept of TV.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM

If I had a dog that was one of those very popular breeds, I might worry that someone could swipe my dog from my yard if I had an invisible fence. There are a few, very few, ranch homes with fully fenced backyards in Hemingway, but I don't know if any are for resale. The Villages real estate people might know. Also, I saw a model courtyard villa in Pennecamp that had some grass in the back courtyard.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

My neighbors have a large lot that backs up to a farm they have invisible fencing and it works great for their dogs. They have had it for two years and the dogs seem very happy as do the owners and neighbors.
Our lot also backs up to the farm, Jeff from Sunscape planted hedges along the backyard property lines for a beautiful hedge fence. We are also going to use invisible fencing. By being creative and considerate we can abide by the covenants and still have a beautiful and safe yard for our pets.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.