Keeping cat in courtyard

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2015, 06:54 AM
Default Keeping cat in courtyard

I'll be moving to a courtyard villa soon and want to let my cat roam the courtyard but go no further. I'm afraid that a five foot wall may prove to be an insufficient barrier so I need some attractive way to make sure that the cat stays on my property but can still be outside roaming the small lawn and bushes. I'm sure that some Villager has a great solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
Old 05-28-2015, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,533 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarkfitz View Post
I'll be moving to a courtyard villa soon and want to let my cat roam the courtyard but go no further. I'm afraid that a five foot wall may prove to be an insufficient barrier so I need some attractive way to make sure that the cat stays on my property but can still be outside roaming the small lawn and bushes. I'm sure that some Villager has a great solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
Having had cats all of my life, I can only say that I think that is an unrealistic expectation.

Ours enjoys the screened lanai.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 AM
Sage

You also need to be concerned about critters (i.e. coyotes and eagles) coming in your courtyard to snatch your precious pet.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

GG. Again, you are right on the money. I believe wholeheartedly that the only safe place for a cat is the screened lanai. It's more than the cat getting out. It is other things getting in, too. Nuff said.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 AM

Gates are usually wood and cats have no problem climbing. Our Abyssinian can get on top of the fridge in one leap. Just let a bird fly by and watch your fluffy in action. They are remarkably creative.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
You also need to be concerned about critters (i.e. coyotes and eagles) coming in your courtyard to snatch your precious pet.
and earthquakes and tsunamis...
Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,316 Times in 2,303 Posts

Check out the local pet stores or online for portable cat pens, this might be an option. We agree with the screened lanai, our cat, precious, loves this. We were originally concerned that she would be able to charge through the screening, so I installed the above pen fencing inside the lanai. As it turns out she likes to watch and rarely charges.

We are having a birdcage installed, and we are getting "pet proof" screening on the lower portion.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM

We also have cats and thought they would be safe within the confines of a CYV walls and fence. That was until my husband saw a bobcat one early morning and one of the cats cowering under a chair. His dog sensed something and went out barking. The cat jumped 10' to the wall and ran down it. We were lucky and it was a huge wake up call. We have a pool and birdcage, so now that is where they are allowed. Learn from our mistakes...The lanai is a safe place, unless you want to open up your outdoor space and put up a bird cage.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM

We do not have a CYV but we restrict our kitty cat to the lanai. I don't think I would let my cat out in the open. A bit different up north because we have an in-ground pool and a huge part of our yard has a chain link fence. Naturally, she is a princess and seems to have never had a desire to hop the fence in over eight years. She seems to adapt well, an oh, by the way, did I mention that she is a borderline genius ha,ha,ha..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.