Snowbird dogs

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Location: Village of Charlotte (Lauren Villas) from Circleville, Ohio
Question Snowbird dogs

Can anyone tell me how they handle coming to TV for a few months when they still have dogs that they have to leave at home? What do you do with them?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Sage

I cannot help with this one. Our family consists of my lovely wife, two cats and a dog. I would never consider coming to TV without my dog. I may have a different answer for the other combinations if you need help there
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Default Dramamine!!!

We travel with two Puggles. Give them 25 mg of Dramamine every 8 hours, and they travel with us. Check out pet friendly hotels.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Ours went to our daughters house when we came down. To old to travel and blind. He loves it there the kids just love to snuggle
Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We travel with our german shorthair/chocolate lab mix as much as possible and stay at pet friendly hotels. He is actually a very good traveller. He really seems to enjoy new scenery.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Platinum member

Why not bring with? It's a great place, even for dog's. I couldn't relax if I didn't have my Gilda with me.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSX2 View Post
Can anyone tell me how they handle coming to TV for a few months when they still have dogs that they have to leave at home? What do you do with them?
We bring our dogs back and forth with us from Canada. Our dogs love the car trip, arriving at their Villages home, watching geckos in the birdcage, riding in the golf cart, going daily to the dog park.

The Villages is very pet friendly. It would be a shame if you have to leave your dogs at home.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Our dog is big. She loves to ride in the car, but we have only taken her on short trips (3 hrs). Florida for us is 1200 miles. I hope to retire in November and I am wondering what to do. Are big dogs welcome in hotels. Should we medicate her, she is or will be 9 years old. What a dilema!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Gold member
Default Traveling with Pets

I don't travel with dogs but, with my two cats!! I always take them with me if I am on trip that is longer than two weeks. Luckily, they love to ride in the car!

Of course, you have to find "pet friendly" accomondations. And, you may have to pay a little more for housing but it is worth it to have them with me.

There are many "pet friendly" hotels on the way to Florida. LaQuinta comes to mind but there are others. I always make hotel reservations in advance as some hotels only have one or two "pet friendly" rooms.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We bring our dogs back and forth with us from Canada. Our dogs love the car trip, arriving at their Villages home, watching geckos in the birdcage, riding in the golf cart, going daily to the dog park.

The Villages is very pet friendly. It would be a shame if you have to leave your dogs at home.
The problem is that there isn't just one dog, there are 2 labs, one is almost 100 lbs and the other is 64 lbs. Plus we have a Bichon. We have entertained the thought of coming down and renting for a couple months for a couple years before we buy. I doubt that there are very many property rentals that would accept my pack.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

If your dogs are well-behaved and don't cause property damage, AND if you can come in the off-season months, I think you should be able to find a rental.

Go to The Villages 4 Rent, Rentals in The Villages and do a search for a Courtyard Villa (which will have a fenced yard) that allows pets. Use the "Search All Rentals" button on the left, then select Courtyard Villas, check the months you want and check "pets allowed". I just did this for the months of August and September 2012 and came up with LOTS of possibilities.

Please bring your dogs -- you will all be miserable without them and won't have a true idea of whether The Villages is for you.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynbod View Post
Our dog is big. She loves to ride in the car, but we have only taken her on short trips (3 hrs). Florida for us is 1200 miles. I hope to retire in November and I am wondering what to do. Are big dogs welcome in hotels. Should we medicate her, she is or will be 9 years old. What a dilema!!
Cynbod, we travel 1200 miles between MI and FL with an 85-lb dog. Been doing this since 2004. At first there were a handful of motels that take big dogs, but now there's lots. Best Westerns (most have been refurbished) and La Quintas, many Holiday Inn Expresses, but that's only a start. Google Pet Friendly ________ (whatever city/state). Once you pick a place, call to make sure there's no weight limit.

We have put our dogs in the car from day one and gotten them used to car travel. Our current golden was 10 weeks old when he took his first ride to Key West. We never medicate the dog. We give him the whole back seat for comfort. That's a priority. If need be, I mail a box of clothes down.

Maybe try a shorter trip with your dog and see how it goes? We drive 6-8 hours a day. Both dog's always did/do well.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSX2 View Post
The problem is that there isn't just one dog, there are 2 labs, one is almost 100 lbs and the other is 64 lbs. Plus we have a Bichon. We have entertained the thought of coming down and renting for a couple months for a couple years before we buy. I doubt that there are very many property rentals that would accept my pack.
For the past five years we've driven to/from Ontario to Florida with our fur family. It usually takes about 25 hours .. We do it over three days. We have a 70 lb dog, a small dog, and until recently, we also travelled with a cat. Plus dog beds, water bowls, litterbox, etc. We put most of our possessions in a torpedo on the roof cuz there is no room in the vehicle! We stay at Red Roof Inns which are known for being pet friendly.

We were going to rent for a few seasons, but we ended up buying a CYV in 2007 because we figured it would be difficult finding accommodation which would accept three pets. Even tho our dogs don't shed and are perfect angels, lol.

Good luck with finding a pet-friendly rental. I hope you're able to bring your dogs with you. Perhaps we'll see you at the dog park!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think labsx is right that it would be very difficult to find a place that will rent to a couple and three dogs, especially a large and medium-sized one.

So, some suggestions. If possible, leave the dogs with a family member or friend who knows and loves them.

Another alternative would be to have someone watch the dogs in their home. Have them keep the dogs a time or two before you take a long trip so that both you and the dogs will be comfortable. I dogsit a household with a golden and a little dog in their home. During the summer, I watch these two for one month. I stay overnight every third day. While this is not the optimal situation, it does work. The dogs don't get too lonesome or depressed and the homeowners don't spend a small fortune on dog care. I don't know if this would work for a three-month absence though.

You could hire someone to house sit for you and pay extra to care for the dogs while there.

I really can't imagine keeping a dog in a kennel or any type of boarding facility for two-three months. That just seems too long to me.

Maybe your vet could give you some alternatives?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I think labsx is right that it would be very difficult to find a place that will rent to a couple and three dogs, especially a large and medium-sized one.

So, some suggestions. If possible, leave the dogs with a family member or friend who knows and loves them.

Another alternative would be to have someone watch the dogs in their home. Have them keep the dogs a time or two before you take a long trip so that both you and the dogs will be comfortable. I dogsit a household with a golden and a little dog in their home. During the summer, I watch these two for one month. I stay overnight every third day. While this is not the optimal situation, it does work. The dogs don't get too lonesome or depressed and the homeowners don't spend a small fortune on dog care. I don't know if this would work for a three-month absence though.

You could hire someone to house sit for you and pay extra to care for the dogs while there.

I really can't imagine keeping a dog in a kennel or any type of boarding facility for two-three months. That just seems too long to me.

Maybe your vet could give you some alternatives?
Thanks for all of the "stay at home" suggestions. I think having a pet sitter that could stay at our home would be the best solution if we could find one in our small community. I just know that I can't be they only one in this same situation.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.