Large dogs running wild

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you see something say something. Check, good.

I love dogs but leash laws are in effect here and I think leash laws are good.

If I remember correctly about MY childhood, "telling" was only "frowned" on by bad kids and folks who ended up in prison complaining about snitches.

I loved being a "good girl". I was shocked later to find out that good girls didn't have any fun.

RickyD....if I see you out running around with your big dogs off leash, I'm tellin'.

P.S. Ditto that large Pikichu figure in your front yard that isn't under the eaves.............................................

I was raised not to snitch plus I was a major nerd as a kid. I cut loose as a college freshman and rarely look back.
I always confront any issue directly and rarely approach any authority both in and out of work.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

I went to the Community Development office at Lake Sumter this morning to complain about the dogs running loose in Osceola Hills, and they took my complaint seriously. They said that because our neighborhood is new, they would have the builder send a letter to the homeowner reminding them of the leash laws in TV. I stressed that these dogs were not the small dogs so common in TV, but they were larger and more aggressive. I said that, to my knowledge, many villagers are armed and might shoot an aggressive dog running loose. I said it would be a very good idea for the builder to talk with the dog owners personally. She seemed very concerned and said she would call the builder.

Then we drove down to the Sumter county Animal Control office in Lake Pannasofkie. They also took our complaint seriously and said they would send an officer to the dog owners house. I told them we used to live in a TV-like community in Maryland and that one homeowner shot and killed a dog that was harassing them. The person at Animal Control did not blink and eye and said that is allowed here as well.

Well, I have not fired a gun in 45 years so I will not go that route, but we will definitely not walk by that house again.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It is because of the few who feel the leash laws do not apply to them that I always have a walking stick with me when I take our dog for her morning two mile walk every day.
Yes, and I would use that stick on the owner who didn't leash his fur baby!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Maybe instead of reporting him, you could have made a suggestion and told him where the new dog park is and suggested since he has large dogs that need to run, that would be a great place for him to take them. It would have been a nice way of breaking into the leash law topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
You know his address. He could just be your next life long friend if you give him a chance to apologize. If he doesn't then...you made the friendly gesture anyway and do what you then think best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
It goes back further than that ..the Pharisees were always looking to find "others" faults, and explained it was trying to see if it was FAIR-U-SEE.
Everyone makes a slip now and then....first give them a chance...and down the road hopefully when you slip up by mistake, they will do likewise.
I like the "friendly approach" suggestions.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I went to the Community Development office at Lake Sumter this morning to complain about the dogs running loose in Osceola Hills, and they took my complaint seriously. They said that because our neighborhood is new, they would have the builder send a letter to the homeowner reminding them of the leash laws in TV. I stressed that these dogs were not the small dogs so common in TV, but they were larger and more aggressive. I said that, to my knowledge, many villagers are armed and might shoot an aggressive dog running loose. I said it would be a very good idea for the builder to talk with the dog owners personally. She seemed very concerned and said she would call the builder.

Then we drove down to the Sumter county Animal Control office in Lake Pannasofkie. They also took our complaint seriously and said they would send an officer to the dog owners house. I told them we used to live in a TV-like community in Maryland and that one homeowner shot and killed a dog that was harassing them. The person at Animal Control did not blink and eye and said that is allowed here as well.

Well, I have not fired a gun in 45 years so I will not go that route, but we will definitely not walk by that house again.
This is a very strong statement. No dogs have been shot or shot at in The Villages.
Why do you think that someone would shoot a dog in The Villages. That is kinda paranoid to me!
If the folks at Community Development said they would respond to the situation........why then go to Animal Control? What's next a stop at the Sheriffs Office?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
We were walking around Osceola Hills this evening and some guy was letting his two large dogs run around wild. They came charging up to us and really scared us?
What did the dogs do other than run up to you???Did they jump on you? Did they scratch you? did they bite you? Did they bark their fool heads off?? Why should small dogs be any different than large dogs?? I understand your being scared because of not knowing but what did you learn about the dogs_that they just run up to you????
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
This is a very strong statement. No dogs have been shot or shot at in The Villages.
Why do you think that someone would shoot a dog in The Villages. That is kinda paranoid to me!
If the folks at Community Development said they would respond to the situation........why then go to Animal Control? What's next a stop at the Sheriffs Office?
A few shots at humans in the past but no dogs. [emoji6]
Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Why do you think that someone would shoot a dog in The Villages?
Probably for the same reason a guy shot a dog in the Maryland neighborhood where we lived in the 1970's.

Quote:
If the folks at Community Development said they would respond to the situation........why then go to Animal Control?
Because I thought they might put more pressure on the dog owner to realize the error of his ways.

Quote:
What's next a stop at the Sheriffs Office?
Yes, that is next if a loose dog scratches or bites me.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
What did the dogs do other than run up to you???Did they jump on you? Did they scratch you? did they bite you? Did they bark their fool heads off?? Why should small dogs be any different than large dogs?? I understand your being scared because of not knowing but what did you learn about the dogs_that they just run up to you????
The large dogs ran up very close to us barking loudly in a very aggressive manner. It really scared us. Later the owner finally came out of his house.

Is it reasonable that we were very upset? I would appreciate a Yes or No answer.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Send a message via AIM to Emmakrock@yahoo.com

Have a question how does the dog warden have any business in your own yard,if your dog isn't doing anything wrong.Guess I need to check the law that refers to
Old 07-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Sage

FWIW, following is from the Sumter County website...

"County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property.

Otherwise a citation will be issued for the animal running free."

IMO, this is a reasonable law. I seriously doubt TV would ever enforce any rule more strict than this.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

"County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property.

IMO, this is a reasonable law. I seriously doubt TV would ever enforce any rule more strict than this.
As usual, a sane and common sense response.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

IMO, this is a reasonable law.
In my opinion, this law is not reasonable. The phrase "under direct control" is too ambiguous.

I like the statement in section 2.23 of our Declaration of Restrictions which states that dog owners "shall be responsible to keep such pet on a leash".
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
In my opinion, this law is not reasonable. The phrase "under direct control" is too ambiguous.

I like the statement in section 2.23 of our Declaration of Restrictions which states that dog owners "shall be responsible to keep such pet on a leash".
In my opinion, I think you are one of those rather afraid of all dogs, or not a fan of them.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
The large dogs ran up very close to us barking loudly in a very aggressive manner. It really scared us. Later the owner finally came out of his house.
Is it reasonable that we were very upset? I would appreciate a Yes or No answer.
I could tell from the title of the thread that you're very upset about the situation.
Not "Large Dogs Off Leash", but "Large Dogs Running Wild".
You are right that the dogs had no right to be running in the streets.
(I assume the dogs were off the owner's property and not confined by an invisible fence?)
I'm sorry you were scared by these large dogs.

Last edited by Barefoot; 07-25-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, large, wild, complaint, cdd

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.