Limit on pets in TV.

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

I have several friends here and three of them have more than two pets. One had four dogs, one had three dogs, one has two dogs and two cats.

It isn't an issue if you're a responsible pet owner.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylj2000 View Post
thanks i sent an e-mail to the villages for a copy of the deed restriction. I don't know what elis i can tell them, and i donot want heart break over lossing one of my pets. How could one pick which one to leave. Daryl
I am quite sure the deed restrictions will say two domestic pets per household. I was told by a Villages Sales Rep that the restriction was designed to prevent pet breeding. I was also told they "look the other way" as far as the number of pets is concerned.

If existing pets are "grandfathered", (i.e., if you already own them when you move to TV), I would think that you would have to identify that unique situation to The Villages and obtain their permission.

Or you could just do what most people do, and just move in with multiple pets. As Nanci just pointed out, many people have more than two pets. I don't think The Villages would get involved unless the pets were interfering with other residents' quiet enjoyment of their residence.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

You will find that the most objections are related to people who allow their dogs to pee and poop and not clean it up.
Stop by some of the postal stations on a damp day and you can smell the urine. Or drive down the street and observe someone throw a plastic bag of dog poop down a storm drain.
Pets are great.........just some of the owners are stupid.
If someone complains about too many animals, it is their right. They read the covenants and deed restrictions and that is why they are villagers.
FOLLOW THE RULES!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Sage

I totally agree that people should comply with deed restrictions.

But the problems with pets aren't due to those people with multiple pets!! They are due to the pet owners who are irresponsible and dirty and rude and give the rest of the pet owners a bad name. That type of person probably also throws their used coffee cups out the car window.

I think if Villagers are clean and considerate and respectful of other people, there should be no problems with pets or any other aspect of Village life.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Default Size limit?

Is there a size limit? My sister is looking at TV. She has a lab mix that goes 90 lbs. but it's a lap dog, a big baby! Friendly dog, only 5 years old, and my sister would never get rid of her!

She's retiring next spring and plans to move summer/fall. Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dennis11003; 09-24-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Sage

Tell your sister not to worry. The biggest reason we chose to move to TV is that they do not have a limit on dog size. We have a 75 lb dog, and most retirement communities won't accept a dog over 40 lbs.

There is a nearby privately-owned dog park "Doggie Doo Run Run" and it is divided into two sections, one for small dogs under 30 lbs and one for large dogs. There are lots and lots of Village large dogs that go there to play. You also often see large dogs at the Town Squares. Although some people object to this, they are allowed to go there on a leash.

It goes without saying that dog owners must be responsible and pick up after their pets. And they must always be leashed (except at the fenced dog park).
Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Default Dog size limit.

Thanks. I'll be sure to tell her. She's been frustrated by communities that won't accept her one large dog (90 lbs.) but will accept two dogs at 40 lbs. each. It doesn't make sense to me!

What's even worse is communities that have said that they will accept her dog conditionally but reserve the right to review in 30 days. Pack-up and move into a new area and community with your loved pet and then be told a month later that you have to get rid of it or move! Assinine to say the least and at least three places have told her that!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thumbs up Dog Love

Dennis, we ran into exactly the same problems as your sister. We have two dogs, and one is large. Almost all retirement communities we contacted will allow only one dog, and that dog has to usually be under 25 lbs, occasionally under 40 lbs. In the rare case of allowing two dogs, they both have to be small.

The Villages is the only community we found that will allow two dogs without weight limits. Yazoo! Since our dogs are an essential part of our family, we decided to take a Lifestyle Preview in TV. (And our dogs were welcome on the Preview!)

And then we drank the water and fell in love, and decided to buy. We wanted a fenced yard for our dogs, so our only choice was a Courtyard Villa. You can tell we are a dog-dominated family. We haven't regretted it for a second.

So I have our dogs to thank for the fact that we bought in TV. And what a great choice they made! We are extremely happy with our decisions.
I'd use a dog icon here, but they only provide a horse one!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Dennis, we ran into exactly the same problems as your sister. We have two dogs, and one is large. Almost all retirement communities we contacted will allow only one dog, and that dog has to usually be under 25 lbs, occasionally under 40 lbs. In the rare case of allowing two dogs, they both have to be small.

The Villages is the only community we found that will allow two dogs without weight limits. Yazoo! Since our dogs are an essential part of our family, we decided to take a Lifestyle Preview in TV. (And our dogs were welcome on the Preview!)

And then we drank the water and fell in love, and decided to buy. We wanted a fenced yard for our dogs, so our only choice was a Courtyard Villa. You can tell we are a dog-dominated family. We haven't regretted it for a second.

So I have our dogs to thank for the fact that we bought in TV. And what a great choice they made! We are extremely happy with our decisions.
I'd use a dog icon here, but they only provide a horse one!
It's good to find others who bought a CYV as a dog-house where people can live, too (LOL). My two terriers needed the fencing as well, and the CYV fit the bill. Now they can "chat" with the dachshund that lives on the right, the other terrier to the left, and the hound across the wall.

I also put in a dog door within the sliding glass side-door panel. That provides a lot of peace, and lets the dogs make sure no-one has stolen the air conditioner!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.