Want to get a bichon

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Want to get a bichon

we love the Bichon any idea where we can find one??? would love a new addition to the family
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Sage

Please, please, please google "bichon rescue groups" There are so many babies needing a home and maybe you can save one.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

In the Daily Sun one day last week there was a picture of the most adorable white dog availabe for adoption. He/she looked like a cross betwee a bichon and a maltese. The dog had all his shots and was microchipped. I can't remember the name of the humane soceity offering the dog or the day it appeared but maybe someone here will remember it. I had a strong reaction to the dog as he resembled my Duffy (avatar above); unfortunately my husband isn't ready for a new doggie. Keep us posted on your exciting journey to add a new member to your family.

Please be aware of breeders. In my ignorance I purchased my Duffy from a breeder who had an award winning dog at Westminster. He was bred for beauty and not for health or vitality and had a serious liver problem as well as teeth issues which plagued him his whole life and eventually caused his death. I was ignorant at the time of purchase and paid many thousands of dollars over the years to keep him alive. On the outside he looked perfect but he had to take two drugs daily his whole life.
I have no doubt that we were meant to be together so I'm grateful for the time we had together but I wanted to pass on this cautionary tale.

Last edited by duffysmom; 03-07-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
we love the Bichon any idea where we can find one??? would love a new addition to the family
Go to my TOTV photo album an see my rescue Bichon.
She is a happy go lucky perfect little girl.
All I had to do is pay her bail.
30 dollars

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Please, please, please google "bichon rescue groups" There are so many babies needing a home and maybe you can save one.
Ok thanks for the great info. Of course I should have asked if they are really difficult to take care of but I can't get past their adorable faces!! They are precious
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Ok thanks for the great info. Of course I should have asked if they are really difficult to take care of but I can't get past their adorable faces!! They are precious
Actually other than Duffy's health issues he was a joy to train and had a very mellow soul and was extremely loving. The good news about rescue dogs is they have been checked out medically and have a history so you will know what the dog's issues are.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Actually other than Duffy's health issues he was a joy to train and had a very mellow soul and was extremely loving. The good news about rescue dogs is they have been checked out medically and have a history so you will know what the dog's issues are.
I agree! Rescues are great, we just rescued a Mini Aussie 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. The resue agency lets you know their personalities, good and bad habits, and their health issues, if any. And most have been through the housebreaking stage so you get to bypass all that too. Good Luck with whatever choice you make...........nothing is better than the love of a dog.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I hate to admit my ignorance but I clicked on this thread because i didn't know what a bichon was and thought perhaps it was German for that swear word they use on reality shows. Well I am not fond of dogs;albeit the picture of that bichon is cute.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Location: Philadelphia PA, North Wildwood NJ, Village of Tamarind Grove - June 2011

I got my Abby from a rescue group called Small Paws Rescue in Oklahoma. I saw them quite a few years ago in a special they did for Animal Planet. They go into puppy mills and rescue Bichons and sometimes other breeds. Check out their website at smallpawsrescue.org along with the Bichons that are up for adoption at petfinder.com and adoptapet.com. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashorecaroline View Post
I got my Abby from a rescue group called Small Paws Rescue in Oklahoma. I saw them quite a few years ago in a special they did for Animal Planet. They go into puppy mills and rescue Bichons and sometimes other breeds. Check out their website at smallpawsrescue.org along with the Bichons that are up for adoption at petfinder.com and adoptapet.com. Good luck!!!!

God bless you

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum member
Default 100 Bichons

Tulsa, Oklahoma - dogs and puppies for adoption from Small Paws® Rescue.

Pet Search Results: Adoptable Pets in San Antonio, TX: Petfinder

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashorecaroline View Post
I got my Abby from a rescue group called Small Paws Rescue in Oklahoma. Good luck!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemom View Post
Rescues are great, we just rescued a Mini Aussie 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Nothing is better than the love of a dog.
Aussiemom, Seashorecaroline, Cisko Kid ... Bless you all for helping an unwanted dog. I applaud you.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran member

My sister has been involved in Bichon rescue in TN for many years and when she came to TV to visit in October, she met several bichons around the squares who had been adopted from her friend in rescue in FL. So, I will get the contact info for you.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Aussiemom, Seashorecaroline, Cisko Kid ... Bless you all for helping an unwanted dog. I applaud you.
Ditto! Let's put puppy mills out of business. It's just not natural or right or healthy for the dog!

Doesn't mean there aren't legit breeders....not at all, but there are so many dogs in need, and cats, plus so many unethical puppy mills, I applaud any rescue of an animal in need.

We had a tenant once with a Bichon. She was a delight, obviously no barking issue, but she was very shy. She would hide under the bed for hours, if anyone was there except her "person". We baby sat her a few times, and she started to open up to us and our small dog, but not so much. I don't know if that was just her, or if it's a trait of the breed. If you are looking for an outgoing, people dog, you might check that out to see if it's normal.

Good luck and enjoy your new baby!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM

We had a Bichon for 18 years who of course the love of our life. After we lost him we said no more dogs, it's too painful to lose them. I lasted about 6months and I started looking at rescue sites, and adopted a wonderful Maltese mix. We found him at petfinder.com. It's a great site you can put in what kind of dog you want, sex, breed, size. Our little dog was in a high kill shelter and would have died if not for this rescue group.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.