Moving with 2 dogs who are used to a yard

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2022, 03:25 PM
Default Moving with 2 dogs who are used to a yard

We are considering a move to the Villages. Currently staying here for a few days looking at property. We know there is a limited amount of housing with fenced yards in what we are looking at. We are considering something without the fenced yard but not sure how our 2 dogs will like it. They are on the small side 16 lbs each but are used to being just let out to do their thing. We do walk them on occasion but that is not the norm. Anyone make the move to the Villages with this issue.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I am a cat lover, but will add my 2 cents. Florida has leash laws, please understand these. You can get an invisible fence which will probably keep your dogs in BUT it will NOT keep predators out, and yes we have predators. A CYV might work, but you need to be aware of the property lines and the neighbor's access to their property. We also have large birds of prey you will need to be concerned about.
I will now turn this over to all of the dog lovers, but please be careful with your fur babies.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
We are considering a move to the Villages. Currently staying here for a few days looking at property. We know there is a limited amount of housing with fenced yards in what we are looking at. We are considering something without the fenced yard but not sure how our 2 dogs will like it. They are on the small side 16 lbs each but are used to being just let out to do their thing. We do walk them on occasion but that is not the norm. Anyone make the move to the Villages with this issue.
We moved here with 2 small dogs about the same size as yours, but elected to purchase a home without a fenced yard. I would never let them outside on their own as there are predators here that the fence won’t stop. I’d recommend resetting both your expectations and the dogs by getting out and walking them. They will enjoy the time with you. You could also try getting them used to the golf cart and take them for a ride.

There are multiple dog parks that you could take them to and let them run off leash unless they are not other dog friendly.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We're in a courtyard villa and that's what I'd choose if I had a dog (I love dogs, I've always had dogs, but our last baby passed away).

I have seen bobcats (30 lbs and strong) in the dark hours, and eagles in the day.
Gators if you're adjacent to water, too. Be careful leaving your pups out unattended for long periods. As the other poster mentioned, an electric fence would do if the yard isn't fenced, but again you may have unwelcome visitors.

Best wishes.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

I would buy a home with a fenced-in yard. A lot of the villages in the south have fences. We are in Hawkins and most homes seem to have a fenced-in yard. Although it is advisable to be outside with them (especially, if they are tiny), it would be good for them to be outside in their own fenced-in yard without a leash.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Bobcats, foxes, eagles, owls, a variety of hawks, coyotes.

Do your dogs a favor and either don't leave them out unattended, or don't bring them to the Villages.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

If they are small, a courtyard villa may provide enough space for them outside and a secure walled in area. Or, look at the veranda series (they are building more and more of them because of their popularity...there are 20 available right now). Basically a designer home in a walled in villa setting. We let our pets outside in the area and it's perfect for them.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:08 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Seems to me that your pups have trained you - and the big question is whether you are prepared to retrain yourselves and the pups in order to meet the pup's needs. Should you consider a purchase which would need outside renovations to accommodate all - remember to read the area's deed restrictions and external rules to see if what you think you would do will meet the requirements. It also seems that lots of pet owners have figured out what they need and found it - am sure you all can, too.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:32 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

We all wish we could just open the door and let them out but nope, gotta get up, put on the leash, take them for a walk, put up with the heat and hot roads, rain, other dogs, bring home the poop and save it for garbage day. They will enjoy it but not sure if you will.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Another FYI, our summers heat up pavement and our fur babies paws, if it's too hot for your bare feet, it will also be too hot for them.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:23 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

We came down with 2 dogs also. We got a corner lot court yard villa that had a nice grassy back yard. In the new section the verandas have walls also. The dogs are free to run around but if they are small they should be supervised as the hawks can carry them away.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

It’s hot. Our dog likes to lay on the concrete in the lanai.
Dog wont want to be outside long, get the house you want - don’t worry about the fence
Old 08-12-2022, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Can we please stop with the recurring scare story of eagles and hawks carrying away your dog. A bald eagle, the largest eagle, can not lift a sixteen pound dog off the ground. It could catch it on the ground and injure or kill it on the ground. But dogs are not the preferred prey for eagles. We have tens of thousands of dogs and you are not hearing about them being carried away by eagles or hawks.

Eagle Flight and Other Myths, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

How much weight can an eagle carry? – Wildlife Damage Management
Old 08-12-2022, 11:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question If a Fenced Yard is Important to You . . .

If a fenced yard is very important to you, you might want to rethink being in The Villages because of your dog situation. Many other communities permit fences such as Spruce Creek South (a gated 55+ community) which borders The Villages and there are many other communities close by from which to choose.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Eagles vs. Alligators and Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Can we please stop with the recurring scare story of eagles and hawks carrying away your dog. [B]A bald eagle, the largest eagle,[/B] can not lift a sixteen pound dog off the ground. It could catch it on the ground and injure or kill it on the ground. But dogs are not the preferred prey for eagles. We have tens of thousands of dogs and you are not hearing about them being carried away by eagles or hawks.

Eagle Flight and Other Myths, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

How much weight can an eagle carry? – Wildlife Damage Management
I guess it depends upon which eagle site you look up. The bald eagle is not the largest eagle and depending upon the species of an eagle would determine what its preferred food is. It would depend upon how hungry an eagle is because they do eat other animals and fish; they are carnivores. So yes -- they would eat a dog.

A coyote or alligator would be more of a real threat. Just as a sidebar, it amazes me at the number of stupid people who walk their dogs so close to one of the area lakes. Are they not thinking???

Tags
fenced, villages, move, yard, dogs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.