Moving with 2 dogs who are used to a yard

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2022, 08:40 AM

We moved here in January. The cat was use to being outside whenever he wanted and the dog had 3 acres. The cat loves the lanai and fence. Makes him feel safe. He comes in at night. The dog had a hard time not having his running space at first. He loves his walks and the neighbors. Wait on a villa or Veranda. You will all be happier. We also almost jumped the gun and bought without the walls. Our agent told us he did not think we would be happy. He was so right. The walls are alot more pet friendly because more people have dogs. We love it here. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Default My two cents as well

We had what seems to be a similar situation, moving from a half-acre property where we did walk our dog twice a day but also just opened the back door and let her do her thing. We debated about the walled in & fenced in properties, which would have been fine for the dog but not so fine for us. Instead we went to the area just above 466 and bought a property with lots of open area facing a pond. Yes, we let our dogs (one large 65-pounder, one small & quite old schitzu) outside in the back without a leash, but due to having even more predators than we had up north (up there it was primarily coyote & fox; here we've had lots of fox, some coyote, neighbors have seen bobcats at night, & yes there was a gator for a while), they are NEVER unsupervised. We are also in the midst of expanding our lanai so that they can be out in the air (if not in the grass) without supervision.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:55 AM
Default Moving with dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I guess it depends upon which eagle site you look up. The bald eagle is not the largest eagle and depending upon the species of an eagle would determine what its preferred food is. It would depend upon how hungry an eagle is because they do eat other animals and fish; they are carnivores. So yes -- they would eat a dog.

A coyote or alligator would be more of a real threat. Just as a sidebar, it amazes me at the number of stupid people who walk their dogs so close to one of the area lakes. Are they not thinking???
There are walls or fences in certain area in TV would be great for your dogs. There dog parks to go too. Be with dogs outside all times for their protection. I walk my dog and we visit neighbors with dog and play outside together while we watch. Stay on leash running around playing.My actually go to house and bark to come out to play. I just watch my surroundings because we do have wildlife looking for food. Just learn from neighbors what they have seen in that area. I see bobcats as big as large dog where I live.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,136 Times in 562 Posts
Default Sarcasm

Watch out for leaping lizards, they like dogs. Also there are gorillas that escaped during hurricane Andrew that are still around, so get pet protector spray (sold at Lowes) when you walk your dogs. Your dogs will be OK if you do this and the only thing you will have to worry about are the pop-up coral snakes.

Just kidding of course. We moved here with our two pups and they couldn’t be happier. There were some routines that became ingrained and things we did since we arrived:

We walk our dogs early at day break to avoid the sun baked asphalt
We found a vet and kennel that were readily available
We registered our dogs at the county building
We had new name tags made
We take our dogs to the dog park once and a while
We bought lots of poop bags and have our dog food delivered from Chewy
And we always leash our dogs when they travel in the golf cart

I hope you find something suitable for you, and I encourage you to enjoy the villages. It was one of the best calls we ever made.

PS. There is little to no pet foot wiping required here. It is a definite plus.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 08-13-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:01 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,321 Times in 548 Posts
Default Walking dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We all wish we could just open the door and let them out but nope, gotta get up, put on the leash, take them for a walk, put up with the heat and hot roads, rain, other dogs, bring home the poop and save it for garbage day. They will enjoy it but not sure if you will.
Hit the nail on the head. Our last dog passed 15 years ago and decided not to replace her. She couldn’t be replaced anyway. We wanted to travel more in our retirement and that was another major deciding factor. If we change our minds regarding another dog, our home would definitely be fenced. We have seen several dog owners here who are irresponsible dog owners and that has shed a “bad light” on the majority who are good dog owners. Perhaps this was there first “rodeo” who knows.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:16 AM

I always walk my dog but bought a home with a fenced yard because with the summer heat and thunderstorms I didn’t want to be out in either to walk my dog. Much easier to open door and let her out!
Old 08-13-2022, 10:19 AM

A threat I have not seen mentioned is drowning. During the thirty some odd years I have lived in Florida, three of my friends and neighbors have loss their dogs to accidental drowning in their pool. Another neighbor loss their puppy to a cayote when the puppy was left unattended inside an invisible fence. The vast number of animals are lost because they stray or are stolen from their home.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Can we please stop with the recurring scare story of eagles and hawks carrying away your dog. A bald eagle, the largest eagle, can not lift a sixteen pound dog off the ground. It could catch it on the ground and injure or kill it on the ground. But dogs are not the preferred prey for eagles. We have tens of thousands of dogs and you are not hearing about them being carried away by eagles or hawks.

Eagle Flight and Other Myths, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

How much weight can an eagle carry? – Wildlife Damage Management
Blue ----- You are correct that we hear very few reports of small animals being injured or killed by predators. Unfortunately, it does happen here in TVs; possibly more frequently than we have heard. We have 2 dogs, and they are always on a short leash whenever they are outside. I know how I'd feel if one were injured or killed by a predator because I thought it couldn't happen in our neighborhood.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

We had two Yorkie but now only one Lasa. A Courtyard villa NOT backing up to a golf course would answer your need. You can get a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a glass enclosed lanai and possibly a larger garage and or birdcage. Just takes a bit to find the right one. Also look for a bond paid deal and maybe already furnished if decor suits you
Old 08-13-2022, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Can we please stop with the recurring scare story of eagles and hawks carrying away your dog. A bald eagle, the largest eagle, can not lift a sixteen pound dog off the ground. It could catch it on the ground and injure or kill it on the ground. But dogs are not the preferred prey for eagles. We have tens of thousands of dogs and you are not hearing about them being carried away by eagles or hawks.

Eagle Flight and Other Myths, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

How much weight can an eagle carry? – Wildlife Damage Management
Thank you!!!! They are making our home sound like Jurassic Park. A courtyard villa would do him and his pooches just fine
Old 08-13-2022, 01:58 PM
Default Dogs

In my opinion, your dogs have been used to a measure of freedom. Such a measure is not available here - any fenced yards are small. Your dogs will feel as if they have moved to a place of relative imprisonment. It is up to you to decide if good treatment of your beloved dogs is important enough for you to move somewhere where their freedom is not significantly decreased.

And certainly, if you do move here, I believe you must be prepared at the very least to walk them, on the required lease, regularly. Or else be prepared to see your dogs really suffer from a new level of confinement.

But this is me...I would not live here with a dog, no matter it's size as I believe they are animals who need freedom to move about in more than a small yard and/or small house.

Please no trolls who think differently from me - everyone is entitled to their beliefs.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Watch out for leaping lizards, they like dogs. Also there are gorillas that escaped during hurricane Andrew that are still around, so get pet protector spray (sold at Lowes) when you walk your dogs. Your dogs will be OK if you do this and the only thing you will have to worry about are the pop-up coral snakes.

Just kidding of course. We moved here with our two pups and they couldn’t be happier. There were some routines that became ingrained and things we did since we arrived:

We walk our dogs early at day break to avoid the sun baked asphalt
We found a vet and kennel that were readily available
We registered our dogs at the county building
We had new name tags made
We take our dogs to the dog park once and a while
We bought lots of poop bags and have our dog food delivered from Chewy
And we always leash our dogs when they travel in the golf cart

I hope you find something suitable for you, and I encourage you to enjoy the villages. It was one of the best calls we ever made.

PS. There is little to no pet foot wiping required here. It is a definite plus.
Amen to all of that. Early walks on cooler roads, poop bags, tags, maybe chipped, good vet and kennel, golf cart restraints. All good advice
Old 08-13-2022, 03:19 PM

I have a designer house with a fenced in yard. I am thinking of selling but can’t until February. I live in the village of DeSoto. If you are interested.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:29 PM

We have 2 small dogs under 16 pounds. I wanted a 4 bedroom veranda, but couldn't find one (or win the lottery system ) on the ones we liked, so we opted for a Designer home on a pond. Love the view, but am definitely aware of potential predators. Mine have a fenced yard now, but they only go out to do their business. We plan on landscaping the side yard a bit for them and putting one of those corkscrew things you put in the grass with a leash on it so they can sniff and walk around. I still won't leave them out there alone. I plan to sit out with them or take them for walks.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:43 PM

I'm sorry....but I beg to differ.

We lived in Northern Wisconsin for many years. My neighbor has live footage of a brand newborn fawn being lifted off the ground by a huge eagle. He made 3 attempts to lift that fawn up to it's nest and unfortunately he dropped it mid-air into the lake in the process.
The mother dear was frantic and running up and down the shoreline...very sad.

Another co-worker of mine left his ****zu dog on the deck to go potty and 6 minutes later he heard a ruckus, went to open the deck door, and witnessed his dog screaming as he was being carried off by an eagle latching on to his collar.

Another neighbor here in Florida, was walking her new Teddy Bear ****zu puppy in her back yard and the neighborhood hawk actually had the nerve to swoop down on her and try to get that puppy. The women screamed, grabbed that puppy and ran for the house ! The hawk actually did scratch her shoulder in the process of her grabbing her dog. Very real, Very scary !

I'm keenly aware of large birds overhead when I'm out hiking with our dogs, it's a genuine threat to small animals in my opinion because I witnessed it.

Tags
fenced, villages, move, yard, dogs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.