My dog has a bullet in him

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default My dog has a bullet in him

Brought Sam to the vet today because I thought he was having some arthritis problem (although he's a little too young for that yet) so we took a full body xray and lo and behold, Dr. Valdez found a pellet bullet in his upper torso. I know it didn't happen in LA because the way the house was situated, we had 7' walls all around the house.

My dogs, both in LA and here in TV, do not go out of the house or my backyard. Here in TV they only go on my lanai and they are very happy to live like this. This could only have happened here in TV. They also do not go to the Doggie Runs as they aren't very socialized and I also hate fleas and they get them there.

So this post is just to caution any of you with dogs, there is a hater here in TV and we must watch out for him/her. It could have been a contractor so I'm not saying its a neighbor, God forbid, but I feel totally violated right now and very very angry this this had to happen to my little pooch. Tomorrow I will report it to the police to see if they have any interest in this.

Careful out there, you never know!!!!
BTW, Sam is good and the bullet doesn't need to come out..Thank God.....

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM

KathieI...I am SO SO SORRY this has happened to you and Sam!! VERY SHOCKING indeed and I can imagine how awful you must be feeling. Know that I am thinking of you all and I certainly hope this is resolved!
Fondly....HawkeyeB.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Sage

Oh no Kathie. I really hate that. I can't imagine shooting at a poor dog for no reason. I wish I could say something to make you feel better. I am just thankful it didn't do any major damage to your poor doggie.
Happy thoughts!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Sage

Kathie, have you checked the screening on your lanai? Did you find a hole?

I'm so sorry your pooch has been injured. Did the vet give any indication how long the pellet might have been in your dog?

(When we lived in So CA, a 6 foot fence didn't deter any who wanted to hurt pets. Cats and dogs were injured or worse.)

Hope puppy has a speedy recovery. Again, I'm so sorry this has happened.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Could it have been in the dog even before you got him? This is a little mysterious. I hope Sam's recovering well and I also hope it didn't, in fact happen, in The Villages. That would just be too weird.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Kathie, have you checked the screening on your lanai? Did you find a hole?

Yes, there is a hole in the screen. I saw it about 2 months ago and couldn't imagine where a round hole about 1/2" in diam came from. Now I think I know..

I'm so sorry your pooch has been injured. Did the vet give any indication how long the pellet might have been in your dog?
No, the vet can't tell me how long its been there, but given the hole in the screen, I'd think about 2 months. Also I thought I would have seen blood, but apparently not depending on where it entered and its right below the skin.....

(When we lived in So CA, a 6 foot fence didn't deter any who wanted to hurt pets. Cats and dogs were injured or worse.)

Very true, but the way the property was situated, I would have seen anyone targeting the dogs, plus it was a small piece of property and all the neighbors had lots of dogs. So I doubt it.

Hope puppy has a speedy recovery. Again, I'm so sorry this has happened.
Thank you all, he is feeling okay, I think its more my mental state than anything. Just so upsetting to think this piece of LEAD is inside my dog!!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Eternal Member
Unhappy

Oh, Kathie, I am so upset for you. Very upsetting and scary.
Have you reported it to the Sheriff?

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 PM

What an absolute tragedy. I am so very sorry for you Kathi. An awful thing to have to go thru. I'm glad you still have your dog. My prayers are with you.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. Keep us updated on any new news or if the sheriff comes up w any leads.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Kathie. I am so sorry. I know you must be so upset.

You are on a water something....How far do pellet guns shoot?

I can't imagine who did this or how it happened.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Angry Outrageous

It's frightening to think that there is someone lurking around our homes who is willing to shoot a defenseless animal. I'm outraged!!! If your dogs bark perhaps a disgruntled neighbor is to blame. Whoever did such a thing is sick. I'm sorry that your peace of mind has been violated.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

So upsetting, Kathie. I'm glad your Sam is okay. But what about you? I'd be totally freaked and I'm sure you are too!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

It is just mind boggling that someone would shoot your dog while it is INSIDE your lanai! Poor little sweetheart. Very scary. Please keep us updated if you learn who dunnit.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Kathie,

I am so sorry. How awful.

I am thankful that your dog is doing fine.

Many years ago, we found that our dog had a bullet in her. Her name was Mandy. She managed to sneak out of our yard once and was gone on an adventure for several hours. She returned to us, safe and sound, but a couple of years later when she was being checked for something else, the vet saw the bullet. We did not really know when it had happened, but we wondered about the time she was gone for a while. It was a real bullet, but she had a nice little layer of fat that had trapped it and there it stayed for the rest of her long life and through many more adventures.

I am so glad Sam is OK. But I know the thought of this happening is a terrible feeling for you.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-10-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

Kathie, I am so sorry and upset that this happened to you and Sam. I know that we think of TV as some sort of Utopia, but it is filled with people from all walks of life and they bring whatever hates and prejudices they have always had. I think that the hole in your screen adds credence to my thoughts.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.