My dog has a bullet in him

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Oh, Kathie, I'm so very, very sorry. I can only imagine your pain and anger that this happened to Sam. To have a beloved pet get hurt is bad enough but to have it happen in your own home makes it so frightening. Let's hope that it was an errant act by a stranger or, better yet, an accidental shooting so that you can one day again feel safe letting your babies out on the lanai. Many HUGS.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Taltarzac

Sorry that happened KathieI. Please keep us informed about your report to the police and your dog's health.

There do seem to be some dog haters here in the Villages as some of the posts here on TOTV seem to show.

What kind of pellet was this? BB?

Any neighbors take trips to the air gun shooting range at Rio Grande Recreational Center?

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-09-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 AM

Hearing this just makes me sick. Years ago, a neighbor shot our dog and he was arrested by the police. He was doing it for "target practice"..this was in
CT

I hope somehow the sob gets his due...and I'm happy to hear the wee doggie is doing good.

Donna (and my dog,
Romeo sends his good wishes too)
Old 12-10-2010, 01:10 AM

OMG, I would be so upset if this had happened to my dog(s)! I do not have any living with us presently. We had an Akita that we adored. He scared "the dickens" out of anyone that trespassed and I was more than OK with that. We had to put him down when he could no longer recognize family members.

If I had to live alone, an Akita would be my first prefernce of a dog.

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Kathie, I am so sorry.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:31 AM

So sorry to hear about Sam. Thankfully he is OK but it is still traumatic.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Sage

Sorry to hear a story like that and glad to hear all turned out well. My state of mind would definitely be affected if I learned a bullet was in our dog Caly. I would be constantly thinking who what when where why....

I cannot imagine it happening in TV...... actually I cannot imagine someone's pet being shot intentionally ANYWHERE, but awful people exist. Sounds like you may never know for sure the why, when or where, which IMO is even worse.

I have heard stories of pets being shot without the shooter knowing, but see no way that happens in TV without you living on a border where folks shoot on the farm, etc.

Hopefully your state of mind returns to calm, so you and Sam can try to get back to normal.....

Last edited by ajbrown; 12-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum member
Default No Excuse

So sorry to hear about Sam, Kathie. There's no excuse for something like this or any type of animal cruelty. Let's just hope that it was an accident and that whoever did it had no idea that there was a stray shot. Hopefully, they will step forward and do the right thing if they realize there was a stray and it was theirs. If it was deliberate, _________ (you can fill in the blank)!!

That being said, there's no excuse for any kind of "sport shooting" here in TV except in a controlled environment such as the archery range. TV is a populated area, not remote countryside.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default So sorry to hear about Sam

Hard to believe that there are people that get a thrill in harming a helpless animal....I know that karma will be the answer..
Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Taltarzac

Some dog owners with their pets do go to the field just south of the Rio Grande Recreational Center. There is also a very small area the Villages Recreation use for an air gun range there.

The air gun range is not much bigger than a typical Villages garage. I suppose an accident could occur there at the Rio Grande Rec Center that would result in a pet having a pellet in him or her even though it looked like a lot of safety precauations were being taken at the air gun range.

The air guns I have used required the shooter to first pump it up. I am not sure if the air guns are still like this?

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-10-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
It's frightening to think that there is someone lurking around our homes who is willing to shoot a defenseless animal. I'm outraged!!! If your dogs bark perhaps a disgruntled neighbor is to blame. Whoever did such a thing is sick. I'm sorry that your peace of mind has been violated.
I agree - I am sorry - just wondering - is your dog (or dogs) barkers?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Default Unfortunately it happens in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Hard to believe that there are people that get a thrill in harming a helpless animal....I know that karma will be the answer..
a lot of places, in Montana, in Alaska and apparently in The Villages.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Taltarzac
Default Some of these pellet guns look like they would kill small game if fired close by?

http://www.airgundepot.com/popular-pellet-rifles.html

I have not shot a pellet gun since I was around 13 years old, but looking at some of the products on the above linked site; it seems that a pellet fired from some of these guns would travel quite far and would probably kill a pet outright if hit from 10 yards or less.

This could have been an accident depending on KathieI's home layout.

I still have a scar on my pinky finger from where a fellow 13 year old shot me with his BB gun. That was from about three feet and the gun had not been pumped up that much. That was not an accident though just a punk with a gun.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-10-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Gold member

My dog had a foot up his butt once. He's fine now. A much more polite pooch.

Yoda

P.S. We wouldn't have all these problems if we just banned all pets from TV.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Kathie, I'm so very sorry this happened to your dog. Nothing upsets me more than when something bad happens to animals especially when a human hurts an animal on purpose. Hope all goes well in keeping your little guy well.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.