My lab assistant Caly gets a shout out today

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Sage
Default My lab assistant Caly gets a shout out today

A bit long and boring, but I sure feel like telling someone!

My old dog Caly who used to be a frequent contributor on TOTV is getting old. Rear legs are bad, fatty tumors everywhere. She cannot even go for ‘real’ cart rides anymore due to her legs. She is about 13 years of age, that is a big number for labs.

Over the past few months or so she has developed an ugly abscess near her ear. We were going to simply leave it because… well, to be blunt, she is old and why put her through that. The issue is that over the last few weeks it has turned into a bleeder. We have tried various things with the vet, but in the end, mornings around here were looking like a crime scene.

Off Caly went to Paw's this AM for some surgery. I am working today, so my wife Linda took her in. The first call came at 8AM from Linda. I could tell her voice was shaky and knew there were tears in the eyes. She asked if I wanted the surgeon to resuscitate Caly if something went wrong. Holy moly, I forgot to consider that. After understanding and considering all factors, we decided to sign the DNR. This may sound cold (and I am not), but there are worse ways for an aging dog to go.

Next call came at 8:45 from Linda. She was on her way home when vet called and told her she wanted to go over something from the pre-op EKG. Linda told the vet she would call back as she wanted me on call. When she got home, we called vet together. Seems the old dog was putting out some PVCs during the EKG.

The surgeon told us that the cardiologist (I thought to myself... my dog has a cardiologist?) feels it may be best to wait and understand root issue. Could be heart disease, cancer and other things described PVCs in dogs. She also mentioned it could have a lot to do with stress. Caly’s ear was bothering her and of course she is in a very different environment. I could hear Caly barking in the background. Caly only barks when someone knocks at the door or I issue the command ‘speak’, she was obviously under some stress.

After some discussion and thought, I told the surgeon we do not want to know the root cause. I told her that even if we knew we would not be doing anything to fix it at this stage, so why know? Our decision was simple one, should we do the operation or not?

The surgeon walked us through the whole process, things they could do to mitigate some risk by the anesthesia they used.

We decided to roll the dice and do the surgery. I gave my phone number to the surgeon as I did not want her calling Linda with the news.

The next call came at 12:50. Like anyone waiting for this type of call, you answer with an anticipation of blankness. I personally prepared for not breaking down if the news is bad. In a flash,I remembered the last dog I had prior to Caly, her name Casey, died in my car on the way to the vet to be put down 14 years ago. I called them from the parking lot as I could not go in and be expected to talk or fill out forms. They came out to get the dog and I could not even talk, I looked like John Boehner without the tan.

Today the news was NOT bad, in fact it was joyful. Caly was waking up, she had ZERO PVCs during the surgery. I likely had more waiting for the call!

It is amazing the emotional ties we build with a dog. Caly was not ready to go today and I am so happy. I know her time is short, I was reminded of emotions I have not felt for 14 years, but only in a small dosage.

Not a recent photo
The Villages Florida
Old 01-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Default Caly

So glad that Caly made it through the surgery OK. It is clear in your thread that you love her very much and she is a BIG part of your family.
Give her a BIG hug when she comes home and cherish the "golden" years of her life with you.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Dang it, I'm sitting here with tears flowing. You show so much love for Caly. I'm so glad you had a good outcome and bravo for not putting Caly through more stress than absolutely necessary. Hugs to all of you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Gold member

Teary-eyed here. So glad things turned out okay. I could feel the love you have for Caly. Enjoy the time you have together. Give her a hug and a kiss for me.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

I have been following The Adventures of Caly and AJ for years so happy to hear there will be more. Our fur babies bring so much joy and love to our lives they are well worth the tears.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
I have been following The Adventures of Caly and AJ for years so happy to hear there will be more. Our fur babies bring so much joy and love to our lives they are well worth the tears.
I am too glad this turned out well for you and your pooch.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

We are so happy that things worked out for you guy's and your faithful dog. If you have a minute Google The 10 Commandment for pets. It is wonderful. My kids kid around that I love Barney our boxer more than them. They gave me the Commandments framed for Christmas several years ago, we are lucky to have these wonderful animals in our lives. My guy is starting with the legs & lumps and his treasured rides in the car are becoming limited. Great call with the vet, I would have done exactly the same thing. Go Carly!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:18 PM
Sage

Thanks so much. Caly would thank you but she looks a bit aggravated

Stitches blurred out for more pleasant viewing..

The Villages Florida
Old 01-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Platinum member

It is amazing the emotional ties we build with a dog. So glad to hear the good news. Yes we also have developed ties to our two little babies and they are number one in our life. Love coming home and have them literally try to climb up my leg to get hugs. So glad you got a happy call.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

Great photo...she looks good!! Glad she's on the mend!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran member

Tears of joy here! They are our family. We love our four legged family!

What a wonderful post! Thank you!!
Closed Thread

Tags
caly, call, dog, told, linda, surgeon, vet, today, wanted, years, pvcs, news, issue, things, bad, surgery, called, talk, cardiologist, thought, lot, stress, root, ekg, waiting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.