My New Avatar

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default A Dissertation on Retirement Issues for Dogs

Hi Kathie,

I am glad the vet had good news for Lucy. It sounds like she is going to be around for some more nice times. He had some good ideas for ways to perk her up, too.

I was getting worried about Annie a couple of days ago. She seemed to be slowing down more than usual. But yesterday she actually ran. Yep. She ran. At 15+ years, she does not do much running anymore, but every once in a while, she does. Yes, it is a stiff-legged run, but a run all the same, and it makes me smile.

I would like to share a little dog psychology theory with you, on the chance that it might help Lucy. But I am not a dog shrink or anything like that.

Anyway, this theory is actually something that my dad always said. He said that dogs like to have jobs.

He did not mean that the dog has to pull a sled or investigate a crime scene. He just meant that he thought there was something in just about every dog that made it happiest when having a job. The job might be reporting that the mailman had arrived or that the neighbor's cat had invaded the yard. I trained my last dog to retrieve the newspaper for us from the end of the driveway. (Sometimes I had to return the neighbor's newspaper though.)

Kathie, when I read about Lucy seeming sad, I got to thinking that maybe even though you were ready to retire, Lucy was not. It sounds like she had a good job in California, patrolling your yard for squirrels and keeping them under control. And then you up and moved her to a retirement community and it might have been before she was ready to retire. Oh dear.

Soooo, maybe you can help Lucy get back into the workforce. Could you convince her that she has a new job?

Maybe if she thinks that she is the one taking you for a golfcart ride, that could help. Perhaps when she is not looking, put her leash somewhere near you, but pretend not to notice it. Set her up to see it and to call your attention to it. You know what I mean. A scene where Lucy sees the leash and you "don't" and Lucy has to say, "Hey, Kathie, get up off your behind. You need to go take a ride and you will feel a whole lot better. Now, get up!"

Annie still works, but it is kind of a semi-retirement. She has cut back on the size of her responsibilities. Now she reports potential yard intrusion by the tiny, little dachshund who lives next door. She watches out the window for him. At our last house, she watched out the window for trespassing deer and she actually ran them off. She seemed to know what time to expect them and she was ready. (I did not let her out until the deer had heard her bark and turned around to leave. Annie would then run outside, as far as her Invisible Fence would let her, and she would shout, "AND STAY OUT!") Annie has cut back in scope now, but she is still working. She also reminds us when it is time for us to have lunch and dinner. And also when it is time for her to take her arthritis medicine.

Annie would like to tell Lucy that when planning to return to work, Lucy must, first of all, make certain that the terms of the contract are all in her favor. Lucy will know how to do that I am sure. These old girls are wise and will have things their way. And I know that when Lucy is on the job, you know that you will show clearly that you are really impressed and, of course, you will make happy noises and give ear scratches so that Lucy knows it is a job well done.

Well, enough dog psychology theory from me. I hope it helps.

Annie is sending a picture for Lucy. (I am not good with pictures and this one looks like it is the size of a billboard, but I don't know how to get it smaller.) In the picture, you will see that one of Annie's jobs in retirement is to guard Mr. Boomer's shoes.

Boomer

The Villages Florida

Last edited by Boomer; 09-27-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: verb tense - Why in the world do I look back? I always see something I want to fix.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Dancing Thyme

Awww, Boomer, Annie is beautiful.. I just love that picture. I think your advice is excellent and its just what I did.

Took Lucy for her FIRST golf cart ride last night and she was in HEAVEN!!! She guarded the front seat and me and took in all the sights, she just loved watching the guys golfing at dusk, and loved Walgreens and all the peeps in there. She loved the breeze blowing into her face and was amazed at what was happening all around her and she had no clue. It was the best thing I could have done for her. When she got home, she reported everything to her brothers and they were sooooo jealous. But your right, she wasn't ready to retire and was living a very full life. Now its my job to create that full life for her again.

Thanks Boomer, Lucy is so happy you suggested this.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 AM

I've been reading TOTV for close to a year now and never really felt compelled to put my 2 cents in until now.Animals are near and dear to my heart (also many others judging by the large response to this thread....).
KathieI , I too am a HUGE fan of Dr. Valdez--he's such a gentle caring man and you feel as if your pet is his only patient when he's with you .
Boomer,that was a wonderful observation you made about our pets and retirement.Your girl Annie is so sweet , and the fact that she still wants to work after 15+ years proves she's had a very happy, loving home life.
I now have a Shih Tsu and he LOVES his rides in the golf cart--going to the mailbox--washing the cars-- putting out the garbage ---and , of course,
weeding....but his time is mostly spent on lizard patrol......that is by far his favorite job!!!
Kathie and Boomer , Mr. Wagglebutt and I wish you more happy, healthy, loving years with your "girls".
Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Annie is very sweet and pretty, Boom. Is she resting on the floor of your new addition that you were talking about last fall? Nice floor too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.