No Fences - whose idea?

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Smile No Fences - whose idea?

What puzzles me is that I have lived in 13 communities and everyone wanted and had a fence. In fact when I have moved into new developments the first thing the local homeowners did was get together and hire a fencing company to get a better price and to agree who pays for the fence section that divides each home. Of course I live in the north but when I lived in Houston it was the same way. In fact, my neighbors got together to put the fence up for me.

Is the fence ban favored by the residents of the Villages or the developer? I can understand the added cost to maintain property that is fenced as someone has to manually use a weed wacker along every fence line. I can also understand having to look at thousands of white vinyl walls but nice white picket fences about 3-4 foot high with flowers around them look very nice. That is what I have now. Keeps my dogs contained and lets me talk to the neihbors when we are outside together.

What has kept us away from 55+ developments has always been the no fence policy. Luckily TV has CYV homes or that would have been a deal breaker for us, invisible fence or not. Invisible fences do not allow for play dates for our dogs as our family all have dogs that they bring with them and I do not think they would like us shocking their pets.

Just curious as to who is the major opponent of fences. I had asked several developers of 55+ homes in NJ and was told that it was an access and maintenance issue. If every other development can figure out how to build and allow for fences I am leery of that answer.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

No fence communities are actually more popular than you think. I know of several developments in Northern California where fences are banned. The people like the openness, I guess. For the developer, it means more homes on less land (don't have to factor in fencing in yard size).

Whatever. It is what it is. Vinny, you're beginning to sound like a dog worrying a bone. You found your solution -- the CYV. Fences aren't going to happen in most of TV.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Please, no fences!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Question I will miss fences.

We have moved alot and even if you have great neighbors when you move in or you think you do. some people don't wear well, and you have no control over who may move in next door in the future. I think we will end up with a CYV's because of it.

They allow hedges and plantings right??? A well maintained hedge (except for the dog issue and we don't have one) acctually gives more privacy than a fence.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Gold member

I can't imagine how ugly it would be here with fencing everywhere. No thanks! We love it just the way it is. CYV are an excellent option. We actually looked at some when we first got serious about buying here. It would have been wonderful for our dog. Then we got thinking - do we really want to buy a home around what would be nice for the dog? It would sort of be like building a house to go with your furniture!

Anyway, welcome to the Villages Vinny!

Xavier
Old 04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

no fences.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

Sorry Vinny, we bought a CYV because we have a dog. I understand and LIKE the no fence idea. Ever see a neighborhood with 15 different kinds of fences? not pretty! It is what it is. We're all buying into the restrictions, not trying to do away with them. Not trying to be smart, just honest.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Everyone knew the rules before signing on the dotted line. No fences. If you want a fence, buy a CYV or go someplace else. Why do people buy, know what they bought, then try to change it. It is like the people who buy a home next to an airport and then complain about the noise. Maybe we should get a group to try and ban golf carts. Oh wait, maybe that's why we bought here.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Sage
Default no fences

Also, more than a "rule" it is actually in the deed restrictions, which would require a huge legal effort to change. In the past I have seen a few attempts to do just that, and they all failed.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Also, more than a "rule" it is actually in the deed restrictions, which would require a huge legal effort to change. In the past I have seen a few attempts to do just that, and they all failed.
Thank heavens. Those restrictions. I like 'em.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Sage

We're from Houston where they have lots of fences, mostly wood, 6' high. People like the privacy. They can keep not only the dogs but the kids and assorted junk in.

But for us, sans dogs, kids, and only a little junk, a development with fences everywhere would have been a real negative. So, first on our list was NO FENCE! Actually, really first on our list was an expansive water view, and I don't mean a pond. Since we don't have the funds to live on the water that got crossed off. Anyway we're very pleased that TV limits the fencing and keeps the views uncluttered.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran member
Default no fences

YOu should remember that your dog, or your neighbor's dog, can't get shocked unless it's wearing a collar. So your neighbor's dog can visit and play with your dogs safely.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

What's a CYV?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

As someone else said, why would you buy into a concept and then start trying to change it? That said, it seems that Vinny is just exploring all his options..not trying to change things. Absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions.

Welcome to TV. Enjoy!
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuk69 View Post
What's a CYV?
Courtyard Villa - they have fences on all sides (either block or vinyl)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.