No Fences - whose idea?

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Sage

A 3-4 foot fence would keep in some dogs, but many dogs easily could and would jump them. Since I don't need a taller fence for my dog, should I favor short fences and oppose taller ones, even though taller ones would solve the same problem for my neighbors?

Sure, I could justify changing the rules only enough to accommodate my needs by arguing that short fences are prettier than tall fences. But if that's my excuse, no fences is even prettier and more justfied.

Canuk, CYV = Courtyard Villa
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank heavens. Those restrictions. I like 'em.
And, of course, I see no reason why I should be forced purchase a fence just because somebody moves into the neighborhood with a dog(s).
Suffering from TV envy
Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Sage

Part of the beauty of The Villages is the expansive stretches of green space.
The Developer knew what he was doing when he outlawed fences! And we all knew about the "no fence" policy before we purchased.

CYVs provide a perfect solution for those wanting privacy or a yard for their dogs.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Default Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
No fence communities are actually more popular than you think. I know of several developments in Northern California where fences are banned. The people like the openness, I guess. For the developer, it means more homes on less land (don't have to factor in fencing in yard size).

Whatever. It is what it is. Vinny, you're beginning to sound like a dog worrying a bone. You found your solution -- the CYV. Fences aren't going to happen in most of TV.
Sounds like I am but really am just curious as it is counter to my experience with 8 homes in three states. Maybe it is a NY/NJ thing as one of the reasons we are moving is that through our travels we discovered that people are friendlier outside of our area on the whole. The first time I was in California people kept saying hello to me and being the New Yorker I was, I was very suspcious of them until I discovered that they actually were being nice. I have my solution so I am not worried. Merely curious whether the majoirty of Villages prefer no fences or not. I'll be safe behind my wall. Seriously I am a live and let live type of person as long as no one infringes on my rights and as long as the exercise of my rights does not infring upon others, then I am alright with it.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Default Sometimes fences do make good neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
We have moved alot and even if you have great neighbors when you move in or you think you do. some people don't wear well, and you have no control over who may move in next door in the future. I think we will end up with a CYV's because of it.

They allow hedges and plantings right??? A well maintained hedge (except for the dog issue and we don't have one) acctually gives more privacy than a fence.
I was in this situation once myself and ended up moving after one year after buying the home because I was afraid I would do something that I would regret. If I could have put up a fence it would have solved the problem but it was not allowed. Right now I have great neighbors and we still fence, but use low picket fences so we can see each other and still contain our respective dogs. When we moved into this development we were the only couple with a dog. Now almost everyone has one. I am not saying one view or the other is wrong as we are all free to live where we want but I have never personally met anyone up here in NY/NJ that does not want a fence. In fact, they want the highest one they can get.

I think I know the answer to my question in my case. Every place I lived had houses on top of each other. Sometimes within 10 feet. Although, my inlaws in Ocala live in a development with homes on two acre lots and most are fenced in so I still remain puzzled as to the sharp division of views. No matter because we have the choice in the Villages.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I can't imagine how ugly it would be here with fencing everywhere. No thanks! We love it just the way it is. CYV are an excellent option. We actually looked at some when we first got serious about buying here. It would have been wonderful for our dog. Then we got thinking - do we really want to buy a home around what would be nice for the dog? It would sort of be like building a house to go with your furniture!

Anyway, welcome to the Villages Vinny!

Xavier
Thanks. Today we ironed out the last of the disputes with our buyers and it is too late for either of us to back out. Like a wise man told me, it is not a problem if money can solve it. We do the opposite of what you do. We picked our home to accommodate our dogs. I even gave up my hobby to do so. Perhaps it is because we never had kids and our dogs are substitutes. Seems to be a common mental disorder but I am sure there are many doctors in TV to help us. Once again, thank you for you welcome.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
Sorry Vinny, we bought a CYV because we have a dog. I understand and LIKE the no fence idea. Ever see a neighborhood with 15 different kinds of fences? not pretty! It is what it is. We're all buying into the restrictions, not trying to do away with them. Not trying to be smart, just honest.
No problem but I do not understand your response. Are you saying that you do not like fences but bought a house because you wanted a fence?????

Anyway, my present development has strict rules about what kind of fence, how high, what color, etc. Even control the color of you home and type of screen door. I can understand why it is not desireable in TV given the large number of homes. I am sitting here in a very small development in-between a farm and horse ranch and you can bet the horse ranch is fenced in.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Everyone knew the rules before signing on the dotted line. No fences. If you want a fence, buy a CYV or go someplace else. Why do people buy, know what they bought, then try to change it. It is like the people who buy a home next to an airport and then complain about the noise. Maybe we should get a group to try and ban golf carts. Oh wait, maybe that's why we bought here.
Thanks for your reply but please re-read my post. I am not for fences or trying to change things. I bought a CYV so I could have my preference. In fact, 6 of our homes were subject to strict convenants. I like them. I was just curious because where I have lived everyone wanted to have fences so it is the opposite of what I am used to. If TV did not have the CYV I was prepared to buy elsewhere. I am a big believer is what you said. If you do not like it you do not have to live here. We agree, and also agree that 75,000 fenced in homes would look as bad as 75,000 homes that look the same.

One thing I have learned in life is that people are always in favor of regulating things that do not affect them. As you indicated, you would not like them disallowing golf carts.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank heavens. Those restrictions. I like 'em.
I agree and if you read my post you will see that I am just curious as to why so many people do not want fences as I have lived in 6 CC&R developments where people felt differently about fences. I want the strict regulations which is why I am moving here. We could have gotten a bigger home with a pool and half acre for the same amount we spent in TV. What turned us off was that no matter how ritzy the area, there was always some lawns with burnt grass or clunkers in the driveways. Not for us.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
We're from Houston where they have lots of fences, mostly wood, 6' high. People like the privacy. They can keep not only the dogs but the kids and assorted junk in.

But for us, sans dogs, kids, and only a little junk, a development with fences everywhere would have been a real negative. So, first on our list was NO FENCE! Actually, really first on our list was an expansive water view, and I don't mean a pond. Since we don't have the funds to live on the water that got crossed off. Anyway we're very pleased that TV limits the fencing and keeps the views uncluttered.
I have lived close to the ocean most of my life. After so long it seems normal. Of course living near the ocean in the north is nothing like living in Miami. This will be the furthest away from the ocean we have ever lived. I have spent all my life using bridges to go where I need to go. I see the ocean almost every day of my life. Right now I am 10 minutes from the beach and work two blocks from a river. TV is a big change of sceenary for us. I will probably miss the smell of the ocean and the cry of the seagulls.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Default I was talking about my families dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum8156 View Post
YOu should remember that your dog, or your neighbor's dog, can't get shocked unless it's wearing a collar. So your neighbor's dog can visit and play with your dogs safely.
My family in Ocala and up north have dogs and will be visiting with them. That is what i was refering to.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Default Hurrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
As someone else said, why would you buy into a concept and then start trying to change it? That said, it seems that Vinny is just exploring all his options..not trying to change things. Absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions.

Welcome to TV. Enjoy!
Finally someone who carefully read my original post. I would not like to see 78,000 fences. I would not move here if that were the case. Just wondering why the opposite view of what I have experienced in the 13 places I have lived.

I think that sometimes people read other people's response to a post and then base their reply on that rather than the original post. Either that or I have a serious problem in making myself clear.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Default Why am I replying to every reply to my OP

Guess I just do not want to be misunderstood like Dr. Pepper. I repeat. I am all in favor of restrictions but I have found in the various places I live that fencing has never been one of them so I wanted to know why it is different here.

I bought a CYV so I have no problems about fences. In fact I forbid you all to put up a fence because I like to see all the open land when I drive around. Now if we could just get those pesky death trap golf carts banned....
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Thanks. Today we ironed out the last of the disputes with our buyers and it is too late for either of us to back out. Like a wise man told me, it is not a problem if money can solve it. We do the opposite of what you do. We picked our home to accommodate our dogs. I even gave up my hobby to do so. Perhaps it is because we never had kids and our dogs are substitutes. Seems to be a common mental disorder but I am sure there are many doctors in TV to help us. Once again, thank you for you welcome.
We bought our CYV to accommodate our dogs, too. We've been in TV for a week now and are looking at golf carts now. Of course, we must have a 4 seater, in order to accomodate our dogs. Yup, call me crazy, but I'll never be without canine companionship.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Veteran member

They allow fences now in Bison Valley, I know that is not TV, but when we bought in there no fences were allowed. Then they started allowing fences on part of the yard, now we got people putting up the vinyl fences around their property line. SO if your neighbors all put a fence, then you are by no choice fenced in. So my question would be.........

Who is responsible for cleaning the the outside of the fence? Me, even it is not my fence. Or the owner of the fence, in that case they would have to come in my yard with pressure washer to clean the thing???

If you start with no fences, then you should not allow them later...... I know some of the people have them for their pets. One of the houses has a fence with dogs and the whole backyard is full of piles of ***&*&*

Money out
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.