Goodbye Dear Friend

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2017, 03:21 AM
Platinum member
Default Goodbye Dear Friend

At about 1 am, my husband and I were awakend by the most blood-curdling scream from Luca, our little Yorkie. Both of us thought that maybe the other had stepped on him in the dark while taking a trip to the bathroom. Not so. He was listless, had thrown up and defecated and just laid in one spot. Totally out of behavior. We were afraid to move him so we got up and discussed what to do, while I manned the Internet to see if our Vet (in Leesburg) has emergency hours. They do not.

Another scream -- unlike any I had ever heard from a dog. After calling several places, I found Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital on 466 (fortunately less than a mile from where we live) and called. Thankfully someone answered the phone and suggested we bring Luca in right away. We were there within 20 minutes. After an examination and blood tests, the vet, Dr. Meghan Richey, told us he was in shock and his systems were shutting down. She said he was badly anemic (not diet related) and his white blood count was the lowest she has seen. She said he has an auto-immune disease that was attacking his body. She said there is no cure and since he is over 15 years old, the prognosis is not good.

So at 2:30am we made the very painful decision to let him go. We were afraid the the end might be near but had no way to anticipate this soon nor how painful losing him would be.

We just returned home and the silence in the house is deafening. Although I can't stop crying, I take comfort that Luca had a very good life, we loved him and he us, we will miss him and we will be eternally grateful that aside from tonight, he lived relatively pain free.

I do want to add my thanks to the compassion shown by Dr. Richey, the emergency Veterinarian at Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital.

Rest in Peace Luca.

Last edited by BK001; 12-16-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Veteran member
Default So sad

I wish every pet could have such a loving family. God Bless.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:17 AM

Sorry for your loss.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 12-16-2017, 06:43 AM
Gold member

Terribly sad time, thoughts and prayers are with you. Your pup was very lucky to have such a wonderful family. Dog Bless.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
At about 1 am, my husband and I were awakend by the most blood-curdling scream from Luca, our little Yorkie. Both of us thought that maybe the other had stepped on him in the dark while taking a trip to the bathroom. Not so. He was listless, had thrown up and defecated and just laid in one spot. Totally out of behavior. We were afraid to move him so we got up and discussed what to do, while I manned the Internet to see if our Vet (in Leesburg) has emergency hours. They do not.

Another scream -- unlike any I had ever heard from a dog. After calling several places, I found Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital on 466 (fortunately less than a mile from where we live) and called. Thankfully someone answered the phone and suggested we bring Luca in right away. We were there within 20 minutes. After an examination and blood tests, the vet, Dr. Meghan Richey, told us he was in shock and his systems were shutting down. She said he was badly anemic (not diet related) and his white blood count was the lowest she has seen. She said he has an auto-immune disease that was attacking his body. She said there is no cure and since he is over 15 years old, the prognosis is not good.

So at 2:30am we made the very painful decision to let him go. We were afraid the the end might be near but had no way to anticipate this soon nor how painful losing him would be.

We just returned home and the silence in the house is deafening. Although I can't stop crying, I take comfort that Luca had a very good life, we loved him and he us, we will miss him and we will be eternally grateful that aside from tonight, he lived relatively pain free.

I do want to add my thanks to the compassion shown by Dr. Richey, the emergency Veterinarian at Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital.

Rest in Peace Luca.
So sorry to hear that. Buffalo Ridge helped with the hard fight we had with Sport's heart murmur and so many people on Talk of the Villages were also so supportive. Eventually had to give up the battle for Sport as well. And then got Beau-- a look a like -- five days later from Max's Pet Connection. They are at Pet Smart every Saturday 10- 2 with adoptable pooches.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear Luca.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	rainbow-bridge.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	73146  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default So very sad

Quote:

Rest in Peace Luca.
I am so sorry that Luca has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I know the pain for you is terrible. I know from losing many dogs over the years. It will take a while but you will be able to smile thinking of good memories.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Sage

Us animal lovers understand the pain you are feeling, so sorry for your loss. Take comfort for the life you gave Luca.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM

My heart aches that you went through that. Thank goodness he was blessed with such loving pet parents.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:31 AM

So sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved Jax in May and it still breaks my heart. One tiny thing that helped me, suggested by the vet tech...Pick a star in tonight's sky and name it for your Luca. Every night look for the star and know he is safe, chasing balls, squeaking toys in heaven. Tell him you love him and know he is watching over you now. It is said that dogs don't live as long as humans because they quickly learn how to love unconditionally....it takes us much longer to learn that lesson, hence the longer life. Prayers for peace in your heart.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

So Sorry.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Rest in Peace Luca.
My heart aches for you. You'll always remember him and the good times. I pray for your comfort and peace.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Very warm wishes to you during this very sad time.
The good times and memories will always make you smile.

Please consider, when the time is right, to give all your puppy love to another deserving dog, and hopefully save a life in Luca's memory.

Tags
luca, afraid, scream, ridge, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.