Our experience with a foster dog

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Sage
Default Our experience with a foster dog

We lost our family dog about 6 months ago. Full disclosure, I am not a fan of getting another dog yet… or maybe ever to be honest. I have had a dog or dogs for all of my life. There is a freedom that comes with not having a dog. Do I miss having a pooch around the home, of course I do, but I also enjoy staying in bed when it has to go out at 4 AM and the freedom to hop on a plane and visit somewhere/one with a moment’s notice.

That said, my lovely wife has been talking about a particular dog for quite a while. Finally I caved and suggested we foster the dog and see what she is really like. There seems to be a common denominator whenever I cave… good times and vodka. A beautiful night with friends and a few vodka tonics and when I get home I am silly putty, emphasis on silly. In the morning I tried the old ‘I did not say that’ which failed, I knew I said it, I never have that much vodka that I forget.

This is our first foster.

I am not sure how this thread will go, I am not sure how long it will last, I am not sure how up to date I will keep it. I am not much of a writer, I just figured it maybe interesting for me to try and share our foster experience.

Folks may enjoy it, I also may get some help from people with more experience at handling dogs. I consider myself a decent dog handler. With time I can have a dog able to be off leash, stay, come, etc., but I am ‘no dog whisperer’. I am amazed by someone like Cesar and his understanding of behavior and the timing of his actions. The only thing I can do like him is stay calm and never take an action out of anger.

This dog will remain anonymous. If it seems to resemble a dog you know, it is coincidence only. Remember this is the Internet, for all you know, I may just be making this up to get my post count up?

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Sage
Default Catching up slowly...

Week 1 (3/29)

This is a week where very little work will be done. This is the time where this new member of the house has to learn first and foremost to trust that the people here are worthy of trust and respect.

This is one sweet dog to humans. This is a major plus for her in her journey to find a home.

Oh my the toe nails on this girl…
Off she went to Paws. They could do three nails, they could not keep her down. I have always loved Paws. I was surprised that professionals could not handle this. Back to the SPCA vet she went. They took care of this without issue, I am guessing it is because she was familiar with the person from the SPCA and the vet.

The rest of week one was just walking on the leash, not training anything but leash manners, not forcing anything. Nothing but cookies and praise. She did nothing that went beyond a point that needed rules or boundaries lesson. The volunteers at the SPCA did a nice job at walking her on a leash, so all of the basics are there, that was a great help.

We have taken multiple trips to town square in the cart. The first time my wife drove, I had the dog on the floor between my legs with my hands on her collar. The son of a gun tried to hop out once or twice; I had her, I smiled and said nothing…

We have a cat, they have not met, I will not let that occur based on the dog’s posture.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
We lost our family dog about 6 months ago. Full disclosure, I am not a fan of getting another dog yet… or maybe ever to be honest. I have had a dog or dogs for all of my life. There is a freedom that comes with not having a dog. Do I miss having a pooch around the home, of course I do, but I also enjoy staying in bed when it has to go out at 4 AM and the freedom to hop on a plane and visit somewhere/one with a moment’s notice.

That said, my lovely wife has been talking about a particular dog for quite a while. Finally I caved and suggested we foster the dog and see what she is really like. There seems to be a common denominator whenever I cave… good times and vodka. A beautiful night with friends and a few vodka tonics and when I get home I am silly putty, emphasis on silly. In the morning I tried the old ‘I did not say that’ which failed, I knew I said it, I never have that much vodka that I forget.

I am not sure how this thread will go, I am not sure how long it will last, I am not sure how up to date I will keep it. I am not much of a writer, I just figured it maybe interesting for me to try and share our foster experience.

Folks may enjoy it, I also may get some help from people with more experience at handling dogs. I consider myself a decent dog handler. With time I can have a dog able to be off leash, stay, come, etc., but I am ‘no dog whisperer’. I am amazed by someone like Cesar and his understanding of behavior and the timing of his actions. The only thing I can do like him is stay calm and never take an action out of anger.

This dog will remain anonymous. If it seems to resemble a dog you know, it is coincidence only. Remember this is the Internet, for all you know, I may just be making this up to get my post count up?
Bless your heart, ajbrown.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Life will reward you for your act of kindness and dedication. Also, there is no shame in being a foster-failure.....we were, and mighty glad we made Ernie our own !
Old 04-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Can be rewarding

Thank you for fostering! We have fostered twice and while it was a little tough to let go, we went into it with a goal of finding good forever homes for our fosters. We are glad when we see Duke (Joe the Bassett moved out of state) come into PetSmart for a visit. It is great to see how happy he is and how much his current humans care for him. Good luck with her and know that all of your work will make it easier for her in the long run.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Gold member
Default Amusing read

Quote:

You mentioned that show Dog Whisperer with Cesar. I'm sure you are aware that the show is edited. If, nothing else the people are all aware of the camera and the dog sees strange people in the house. To use your tale, the husband does not even get a beer. Like those woodworking shows the projects that you see in 1/2 an hour take a week or more. The star just comes in for the camera after someone else has set up the machine etc.

A second hand dog is like a second hand car there are going to be defects some you may not be able to correct.

ENJOY THE DOG. Aside-perhaps too late since you have posted this BUT since your wife wanted the dog you should at least get the fishing rod or???????? that you wanted
Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 AM
Sage
Default Still catching up...

One thing, this thread has to be is about dogs, not me fostering, many people do so much more. Me fostering this dog is somewhat selfish (tongue in cheek). I get a dog around the house, I get a happy wife and I hopefully learn things about helping dogs with behavioral issues. I am hoping others chime in with their experiences and I welcome suggestions.

Doing this could actually be a wonderful thing in retirement. Today I still work for a company in Lexington, MA from The Villages. Pretty sweet IMO. When I do finally hang up my keyboard, maybe I can train and work to become a dog whisperer and help many dogs over time. Who knows what life will bring?

Still catching up...
Week 2 (4/5)

My wife is away visiting friends… you heard me right... She says honey, how about if we foster a dog, then leaves me alone for a week…. 35 years of marriage, what choice do I have except complain

Much more of the same, this dog has no reason to trust or respect us yet. She follows my wife everywhere, I suspect because she volunteers at the SPCA that had her. If not for being used to years of woman not following me around, I would be hurt by this...

Observations so far.
This dog can sleep. If they had sleeping dog shows I would take her to compete. She sleeps in her crate overnight. She is very comfortable there. I get up early in the AM, she comes out and we hang around together for a few and she then goes and lays on her bed, out like a light. I am a bit jealous. Due to this, I think a good name for her on this thread will be ‘Z’.

She takes an aggressive posture with other dogs. We are continuing the ‘leave it’ philosophy used by the SPCA for now to avoid issues. The only time an issue could escalate is if a dog approaches nose to nose, we do not let this happen. It is way too early to know if that is a bit of fear (feigning confidence) or she really if dominant aggressive.

Sometime in week one or two she got an anole (or whatever they are called) on the lanai. Lesson for adults in the house, no more lanai without a watchful eye.

There is no way I am comfortable introducing her to another dog. I am no dog whisperer. Instead we purchase a “basket muzzle”. My goal is being able to get her to wear the muzzle over the next week or so. This is what it looks like: Amazon.com : Baskerville 8-1/2-Inch Rubber Ultra Muzzle, Size-5, Black : Pet Muzzles : Pet Supplies . The quest starts with holding a small cookie at the front of the muzzle and having her stick her nose in to get cookie.

We start to gently work on general manners, e.g., dog do not rush out doors ahead of us, dogs pay attention to the holder of the leash.
Our cat is older and stays in the bedroom most of the day. We have gated off where Z is so she cannot get in the bedroom. We now bring the cat out in the evening to sit on the couch with us. Z and her have been nose to nose. One time the cat hissed, Z jumped back and then barked. No one died. We will continue this and I suspect soon they will simply ignore each other. Remember dogs are from Mars and cats are just nuts

Sadly some of the week was lost as my wife was away and I was sick for a few days.

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-14-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Love this post

Can't wait to hear about "Z" and ajbrown, giggle!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

Can't wait for week 3. Keep 'em coming.
Many of us are waiting with bated breath for the next exciting episode!
Old 04-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Can't wait for week 3. Keep 'em coming.
Many of us are waiting with bated breath for the next exciting episode!
Are you just teasing me <lol>?
Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 PM

Looking forward to reading more of your foster dog stories! I foster dogs also and really enjoy them.

Thanks for giving that sweet dog a safe and loving place to stay.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Are you just teasing me <lol>?
Nope. Not yet!
Old 04-15-2017, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You are a good man, AJ Brown.

Hoping for a happy ending.

Also enjoying this adventure.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Sage
Default OK, all caught up...

Week3 (4/12)

Muzzle work continues, now she will keep her nose in the basket muzzle (straps not attached), waiting until I give her a cookie through the front of the muzzle, 5, 10 , then 15 seconds… time and patience…

Golf cart update, she rides like a pro. I have a board on my cart so it would be very difficult for a dog to jump out. I can take her out alone now, between the board and a leash with the pinch collar. It has got to the point, I do not even worry about her riding along.

Muzzle work update, she will now take walks with the muzzle on. I do not put a muzzle on her for our normal walks, having her comfortable with the muzzle on in preparation for meeting my friend's dogs next week.

With the muzzle on, she can drink water and get cookies. This is a great achievement for her and allows me to now try to measure how serious her issue is without fear she will hurt another dog. There is no evidence that she would, but I want to be safe.

We took a journey in the cart down to the dog park off if Moyer Loop. No muzzle, I had zero intentions of meeting another dog. Instead we spent 20 to 30 minutes hanging out next to the path folks use to walk their dogs to the park. Our goal for the visit was for Z not to lunge, not move away, not bark, but relax, even if a dog barked at her. A couple of times we did not succeed, which was my fault as I reacted late.

There were no dogs in the large section of the dog park, so I ventured down to the park and we went into the large dog section alone. I left her leash on so I could provide feedback. The nice part about this setup is that there is a chain link fence separating the large dog section from the small dogs. There were quite a few dogs in the smaller dog section. I walked her up and down that fence. In short order a small anxious dog came over barking it’s head off on the small dog side of the fence. This was perfect, I stopped within 18 inches from fence and Z and I just stood there. She did very well, a couple of very minor leash corrections and she just stood there, eventually sitting on her own and then laying down ignoring the nutcase a couple of feet away from her. Meanwhile the dog on other side of fence never stopped. I was so happy for Z.

On the way out some large dog passed us on path, the dog glared and growled at her to which she showed aggression back. I corrected her and had her stay and watch dog walk away. When she finally relaxed, we drifted home. It was a quick reminder how difficult this journey will be.

All in all, some good things, but no real progress yet with dog aggression. Next week we try to meet a friend’s dog. As I have said and will say again, I am not sure I can do this, but I am sure she deserves it and with patience and time I am optimistic we will prevail.

This thread will focus on helping her deal with this ‘anxiety’ around other dogs, so it may seem negative about Z at times. I want to be clear. This is one great/sweet dog. There is no aggression around food, toys or people.

One thing I need to do is find a way to exercise her. We go for walks, but she needs to run and this old fella (me , not Z) is not capable of doing that any more. Previous dogs I have had loved to chase a ball, so I could take a tennis rack and ball to exercise them. Need to consider something for Z; since she is so good on a leash, I am considering a bike ride with her alongside in a quiet area. Yes, I have pondered the crazy things that could happen to me if things go off the rails

Last edited by ajbrown; 04-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 AM

I love your posts and appreciate you sharing this journey. As I quietly read your stories, I am cheering you both on!
Good job!
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, foster, vodka, experience, enjoy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.