Our experience with a foster dog

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Sage
Default Trying imgur.com

I cannot figure out how to embed a pic like I could do from photobucket (figured out how to embed).

Who needs a pillow?

The Villages Florida

Last edited by ajbrown; 11-18-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
K is getting pretty good at tug of war and it is a great way to teach 'drop'.

Picture of K with toy

The Villages Florida
What a cutie, and I love her ears!

Our command for "drop" is "leave it." We once had a talking bird, Isa. When we got Isa, our former golden was a ripe old age, very calm. Isa could land on him and he would just look at him and sigh, "Dang, there's a bird on me. Oh well..." So Isa wasn't afraid of Bear.

Fast forward; Bear passes on, and we get Crosby. Isa is not afraid of Crosby (why should he be, he's the same color, just smaller), but young Crosby thought Isa was a chew toy.

I put Isa's travel cage on the floor, door closed, and spent hours with Crosby teaching "Leave it." I had no choice--it was a crash course. I would say Leave it when he looked at Isa, and treat him when he looked away. It took two weeks.

I enjoyed teaching that command more than any other training. I think because there was always a treat at the end. After a year, Isa could land on Crosby, and I could let Isa's wings grow out.

When Crosby gave up on Isa he graduated to socks, by the way. That Leave it command for socks usually resulted in a staring contest that lasted a minute before he complied. I was taught you should only say the command once.

Crosby's slowing down now. Every once in awhile, I wish he would steal some socks.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Sage

Cfrance, nice post with some good training techniques for all of us to follow...
Old 11-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
I cannot figure out how to embed a pic like I could do from photobucket (figured out how to embed).

Who needs a pillow?

The Villages Florida

Ah, yes, the foot pillow.

When Annie got really old, she lost her hearing completely. She could not hear anything.

We then noticed that she seemed to use the foot pillow more and more often.

We thought it was so sweet.

But eventually we realized that because she was by then completely deaf, using the foot pillow was how she knew if we got up and possibly could be heading to the kitchen. —

— Yes. We shared a little bit of people food sometimes — a little cracker, a little cheese, holding an apple for her so she could trim the last bites around the core. (I know there are dog owners who think it is terrible to share people food. But it was not all kinds. And she mostly ate regular dog food that came from the vet. Besides, she lived more than 16 years so we must have done something right.)

Thanks for the sweet memory of the foot pillow and how its use evolved over all those years with Annie.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-18-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Sage

Boomer, another really nice post. The way I treat my dogs, as long as a dog in not begging, a 'people food' treat is nice; especially if they earn it with a 'sit' or down'...

It strikes me, with all of the threads on TOTV, it would not be terrible for a new thread along the lines of "My dog stories"

Not sure many folks would follow, but I suspect there are so many good stories that many people would enjoy...
Old 11-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Sage

Kalu is one lucky dog! Great news.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Boomer, another really nice post. The way I treat my dogs, as long as a dog in not begging, a 'people food' treat is nice; especially if they earn it with a 'sit' or down'...

It strikes me, with all of the threads on TOTV, it would not be terrible for a new thread along the lines of "My dog stories"

Not sure many folks would follow, but I suspect there are so many good stories that many people would enjoy...

Oh my! Here you have over a 170 replies and more than 11,000 hits.

You know — this thread is kind of like a “baby book” for K because it is a record of all the important steps she has been taking along the way to becoming a part of your family — for real.

The thread is coming to an end, but I have to wonder if for sentimental reasons, you might want to print it and put it in a folder or binder.

If that idea appeals to you, there is a “Thread Tools ” tab on the green bar, at the top of the page, below the page numbers. That tab will drop down to give you a printable version. — in case you did not know that and in case you are a dinosaur like me who likes a hard copy of some things. (This just might empty your printer though.)

Last edited by Boomer; 11-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Veteran member

Excellent, excellent post, Boomer.
Many posters were not aware of this, present company included.
Thank you from all of us!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

Thank you for your wonderful stories of Kalu and her training...and for posting a picture of her. That is the cherry on the top. I kept wondering what she looked like.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
K is getting pretty good at tug of war and it is a great way to teach 'drop'.

Picture of K with toy

The Villages Florida
I love K's feet! She is very bright and alert in this picture.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The thread is coming to an end, but I have to wonder if for sentimental reasons, you might want to print it and put it in a folder or binder.

If that idea appeals to you, there is a “Thread Tools ” tab on the green bar, at the top of the page, below the page numbers. That tab will drop down to give you a printable version. — in case you did not know that and in case you are a dinosaur like me who likes a hard copy of some things. (This just might empty your printer though.)
Coming to an end? We will see

I was unaware of that feature, thank you. I am not a paper person, but it is a nice way to review a whole thread or share with friends that are not on TOTV.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Coming to an end? We will see

I was unaware of that feature, thank you. I am not a paper person, but it is a nice way to review a whole thread or share with friends that are not on TOTV.
Glad to see how this has worked out for all three of you. I am sure K is very much enjoying her new life.

You should be able to save this thread as a PDF file. As Boomer suggested open the thread in print view, then right click anywhere to bring up the menu with print and other options. When you select print the next page to open may have a default destination to your printer but there should be a Change function which should allow you to save as a PDF onto your computer rather than printing it out.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Glad to see how this has worked out for all three of you. I am sure K is very much enjoying her new life.

You should be able to save this thread as a PDF file. As Boomer suggested open the thread in print view, then right click anywhere to bring up the menu with print and other options. When you select print the next page to open may have a default destination to your printer but there should be a Change function which should allow you to save as a PDF onto your computer rather than printing it out.
Yep. I had done that after learning about the feature to send to folks back 'home'. I am sure they will be thrilled reading the whole thread...

Much like a friend having you over for slides after ther trip
Old 12-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage
Default Merry Christmas!!!

My favorite gifts this year (sorry honey ).... the painting and the sweet dog.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20171225_095839.small.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	73241  

Last edited by ajbrown; 12-26-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I have chills! The best story ever love going both ways!
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, foster, vodka, experience, enjoy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.