Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Sage
Default Pedigree Dogs Exposed

I know there are many dog lovers in TV (and around the world). I saw this controversial documentary on the television the other night. I found it online and thought I'd share it with you. Warning, there are some very disturbing parts to this program:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1028-Pet-N...ir-in-US-Video
Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I know there are many dog lovers in TV (and around the world). I saw this controversial documentary on the television the other night. I found it online and thought I'd share it with you. Warning, there are some very disturbing parts to this program:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1028-Pet-N...ir-in-US-Video
Pets are so much a part of so many families here in The Villages that this is a huge issue. It makes me rethink any adoption plans we would have for a dog. We had a Himalayan cat once and she was not show quality so she did not have the extreme pugged nose that cause breathing problems. We have friends who have a dachshund with back problems and ones that have a dalmation with back problems.

When you think about it, there is no need for a pedigree for a family pet. I think it would be useful to know the personality of the parents, but not essential.

I don't have a pedigree and Sweetie chose me. So far it is working out great.

Thank you BK for bringing it to our attention. BK? YOU are amazing!

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-04-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Important Information About Pedigreed Dogs

Thank you, bkcunningham1, for posting the link to the BBC show about pedigreed dogs. This certainly opened my eyes.

The first 10 minutes of this show may turn some viewers off as it shows dogs in pain, but if you get past that and watch the entire 60-minute show, you will gain a wealth of knowledge shared behind-the-scenes of breeding and dog shows. Truly another perspective not often thought about by pet owners and "must watch" information for people deciding to bring a new pet into their family.

As always, my mantra is: rescue/adopt, don't buy or breed.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I used to show and breed Afghan Hounds. There are the puppy mills -- they don't show. There are the breeders where the only thing that matters is the blue ribbon and if inbreeding gets them a better dog, who cares? There are the breeders who just want to sell the dogs. Then there are the breeders who care about the breed, breed very carefully, treat their dogs as parts of their families. These breeders are very fussy about who buys their pups. Their contracts give them the right to check on their dogs any time and have the right to remove a dog from a home if it is determined to be unsatisfactory. They are careful to not overbreed a bitch. They are carefully to ensure there is little inbreeding. They limit the size of their kennels and number of litters so that all dogs can be handled and made to be comfortable with people. Sadly, those type of breeders are in the minority and definitely make little profit from breeding -- most make their money from dog handling.

I totally agree that there is little reason to buy a pure breed -- I've talked more than one person out of getting one of my dogs (they're beautiful but stubborn, stupid, very high maintenance, not all that good with kids). Some people, however, really do love one certain type of dog (or cat). If you're bound and determined to get a pure breed, be sure you buy from a breeder who truly cares about the dog, not just one who wants your money. That breeder will seriously interview you to make sure you know the pitfalls of that breed as well as the good stuff; the contract will be specific as to what type of care the dog will get. Also, ask for the lineage chart -- if you see the same dog or bitch more than three times, go to another breeder. The odds are there will be some inbreeding, but it shouldn't be any more recent than third generation back. A good breeder will guarantee their dog. They will offer to refund your money for the first three years or so, but will take a dog back any time. A good breeder will guarantee that your dog will be free of things like hip dysplasia, back problems, whatever are problems for certain breeds and will be willing to take the dog back and refund your money if that happens (be prepared that the dog will be put down if returned to the breeder, thiough).

(Mind you, I haven't watched the video and won't. I've seen the good and bad of breeding and most of these type of shows sensationalize a bit too much for my taste.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Redwitch said: Mind you, I haven't watched the video and won't. I've seen the good and bad of breeding and most of these type of shows sensationalize a bit too much for my taste.

I say: Watch the video. You may learn more than you know now about the British Kennel Club. It's an interesting, not sensational, and journalistic show.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I'll Give you a pedigree Gracie

Oh Gracie, you have a pedigree in my book!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.