Pee and Poop survey

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Sage
Default Pee and Poop survey

A poster said that I should post my pet question on the pet forum instead of hiding it in another post that was about golf.

OK - here goes:

If you have a dog(s) and you walk it outside to do its business, do you let that business happen on private property? In other words do you let your dog do its thing on another person's lawn? Even assuming you pick everything up do you feel that you have some sort of built in right to walk onto another person's property and urinate and defecate on THEIR lawn? This question came up because some people were adamant that golf balls hit onto a home's property should not be looked for or picked up (obviously not hit from) since the ball should be considered out of bounds.

Just curious what most pet owners allow for their dog's bathroom habit. I don't own one so I'd like to know how you go about accomplishing the daily habit.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Sage

Think you may find that if the survey is not anonymous, you are not going to get honest answers.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Platinum member

When I leave my property to take my dog for a walk, I try my very, very best to be sure that she has done all business before leaving our property. Unfortunately, she most times has the need to "mark" or pee along the way. This is just what dogs do. The only way to stop it is to put a diaper on or never take them for a walk. I moved here because I felt it is a dog friendly community. Any suggestions? For the record, my lawn is as green and healthy as anyone's. Her pee has not caused any markings. Also, I ALWAYS have bags in my pocket in case she poops. I have even picked up other dog poop that I come across in our travels.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Sage

I wouldn't let my dog do it's business on my neighbor's lawns if I had a dog. I've not seen it done in my Village other than when we all first moved in and the dog owners seem not to do it anymore. I see them walking their dogs to the mailbox which is close or to the open area near the Villas.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Sage

I would be appalled if my dog went on someone's yard. She is held on a short lead when it's not Ok to sniff around and go. She is released on full lead...5 feet or so, when she is in an appropriate area. She understands when she is and is not allowed to go.
She pees in the yard, her own yard, readily but resists pooping at home. At this point she is walked mostly on unbuilt lots or I take her in the car to a field outside TV. She is not allowed to stand on someone else's yard without their ok. I don't get why people let their dogs walk on private property??

There are not many places to go and fences are not allowed so the problem is situationally challenging but there is no excuse for violating private property.
I hope your post will be read by offending dog owners and that they will be less likely to give the rest of us a bad name, but I don't expect any to confess.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
...do you let your dog do its thing on another person's lawn? Even assuming you pick everything up do you feel that you have some sort of built in right to walk onto another person's property and urinate and defecate on THEIR lawn?...
Just a related question, since I feel a bit ornery today...

I haven't checked if this applies to TV, but usually sidewalk is placed a couple feet inside the right-of-way, not on the actual house lot (even though the homeowner is typically responsible for mowing the grass). So if a dog is allowed to use this portion of the right-of-way, does that constitute improperly using another person's property/lawn?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
When I leave my property to take my dog for a walk, I try my very, very best to be sure that she has done all business before leaving our property. Unfortunately, she most times has the need to "mark" or pee along the way. This is just what dogs do. The only way to stop it is to put a diaper on or never take them for a walk. I moved here because I felt it is a dog friendly community. Any suggestions? For the record, my lawn is as green and healthy as anyone's. Her pee has not caused any markings. Also, I ALWAYS have bags in my pocket in case she poops. I have even picked up other dog poop that I come across in our travels.
You have a leash, the dog is on the end of it. Use the lead to control the dog from being able to trespass onto private property or are you talking about her going on allowable sites, few as they are? The dog can't mark something she isn't standing on so don't let her walk where you don't want her to pee.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Yes. well, it's easier for you because female dogs don't feel the need to pee-mark every 30 seconds like male dogs do
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

ditto with Kitty. Our walk starts on our property, with business being done there. Our dog is not a "marker," thank goodness, but nonetheless, we walk down the street in such a fashion that the dog cant reach anyone's lawn. It's not difficult to do that and still keep out of the way of traffic, as long as you keep control of the length of lead you are giving the dog.

In a three-mile walk, we stop to allow sniffing (he doesn't mark but loooooooooves to sniff) twice, both at public TV property. As long as you keep moving, the dog is not going to mark--especially if he's out in the street or on a short lead on a sidewalk.

Remember who's the pack leader.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Yes. well, it's easier for you because female dogs don't feel the need to pee-mark every 30 seconds like male dogs do
My female loves to huff and to mark. She will squat when there's nothing left in her but her imagination.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum member

As long as any excrement is picked up, why is it a big deal. Granted I restrict my pups to their own yard, but if they did go somewhere else, I'm responsible for their actions and would clean up.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

Personally, I would not let my dog relieve itself on grass or landscaping that another homeowner pays to water and maintain.

I consider it disrespectful to the neighbors to do otherwise.

But for those who think it's okay to let a pooch do their business on another homeowners lawn, please post your address so that others can bring their pups over to your house for their daily potty visit!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum member

I agree but it can happen. These are dogs and while we try to control them, and for the most part do, there is a point where nature rules.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
As long as any excrement is picked up, why is it a big deal. Granted I restrict my pups to their own yard, but if they did go somewhere else, I'm responsible for their actions and would clean up.
Diane, I'm confused..the question is whether you would allow your pup to go on private property? not sure what your answer is to that..
Kitty
Ps can't wait to meet you.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Gold member

My 2 cents worth:

Always walk my dog on my property to relieve herself.
Only after that will we go for a walk.

NOW on this walk she MAY surprise me - I honestly think it has only happened twice that she pooped while on her walk.

I do however walk her in the street and carry bags. Therefore, she did not do anything on anyone's lawn and it was picked up!

Okay so maybe that was 3 cents worth !!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.