Pee and Poop survey

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
My 2 cents worth:

Always walk my dog on my property to relieve herself.
Only after that will we go for a walk.

NOW on this walk she MAY surprise me - I honestly think it has only happened twice that she pooped while on her walk.

I do however walk her in the street and carry bags. Therefore, she did not do anything on anyone's lawn and it was picked up!

Okay so maybe that was 3 cents worth !!!!
Yeah, but it was worth a million bucks!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Don't understand why the OP..who I believe is a regular here on TOTV, really felt the need to open up this topic again. It's been gone over, and over and over for years. I think a search on the topic would have answered the question 10 times over.
Ya know, it took 30+ years of public service announcements to finally convince people smoking is dangerous to your health. Little by little, people quit, and now the smokers are in the minority of the population.

I know the poop threads have been on TOTV ad nauseum, but there are new people to TV all the time, and the private-property vs your dog's right to poop issue needs to be revisited now and then. Sooner or later, the property owners may win out through public awareness. Hopefully it won't take 30 years.

Russ, maybe you would enjoy having a dog. In Key West, they put them (even retrievers) in their beach cruiser bike baskets and tool around. I seem to remember you like to ride. (That was a non sequitur, I know. Sorry sorry.)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Don't understand why the OP..who I believe is a regular here on TOTV, really felt the need to open up this topic again. It's been gone over, and over and over for years. I think a search on the topic would have answered the question 10 times over.
I don't think the OP is trying to understand the topic. I think he is just trying to generate discussion on the issue. As you said, it's been discussed over and over and over for years. We've all made our positions known.

My position is that we need more dog parks in The Villages. Since two dogs are allowed per household, there are a heck of a lot of dogs living in The Villages. There are three tiny dog parks provided by The Developer. If we had more dog parks, we would have a lot fewer problems with dogs being walked in the neighborhoods.

I don't have a horse in this race. We don't walk our dogs in the neighborhood. We take our dogs daily to the private dog park on CR 101, and we're happy to pay to do that.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum member

Guess I'll have to start going to the dog parks.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Personally, I would not let my dog relieve itself on grass or landscaping that another homeowner pays to water and maintain.

I consider it disrespectful to the neighbors to do otherwise.

But for those who think it's okay to let a pooch do their business on another homeowners lawn, please post your address so that others can bring their pups over to your house for their daily potty visit!

For those that say it is their dog and dogs will be dogs, that still is no excuse to go on private property..period. Whether it is the "few feet" as mentioned that they "only maintain" or not! Doing simple math, to maintain approx. 10% of the area right away on property... Costs to mow, fertilize, weed, shrub maintenance at ~$1500 per year for a lawn service, plus watering should be about $150 + per year. If you want to pay that to each home owner for your use of that area, and still pick up your dog's excrement, than perhaps they will strike a deal with you.
Those that believe this has been covered than don't read it. But it shows that there is a division of people in TV who believe they have the right to use other's property because their dog couldn't help themselves and it should not be a big deal if they do.
There are many "pet peeves" each of us have and it shows in these threads. I would guess many that think this is alright also complain that they don't like what others are doing to them at stores, cars, pools, etc. We just need to be cognizant and courteous of other's property and think of others in our actions of how it would make them feel if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Sage

This thread has awakened me that it is true that dog owners let their dogs walk, pee and poop on private property. I'm new here, so whatever positions you all hold I'm not going to research.
I watched a guy tonight with his dog on a lead so long he could have walked in the middle of the street while the dog waltzed through private yards and it was just looking for the best yard to go in. What are people thinking? Dogs are not supposed to walk us, we are supposed to walk them.
We need Cesar Milan. Lead the dog. The dog is not in charge of you. If you have a cat, this won't work.
K.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Guess I'll have to start going to the dog parks.
I hope you have a small dog or easy access to the large dog park Barefoot is referring to (Doggy Doo Run Run). It is pretty far away if you live down in the 466A area. And the developer-provided dog parks down in this area are pretty small for the larger dogs to get good exercise.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
If you have a cat, this won't work.
Hey if we're lucky, maybe some cat owners take their bags of litter box poo and clumped-up pee to the mailbox trash cans and dump them there! I'd pull up a chair for that thread.

Huffy, huffier, huffiest.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Hey if we're lucky, maybe some cat owners take their bags of litter box poo and clumped-up pee to the mailbox trash cans and dump them there! I'd pull up a chair for that thread.

Huffy, huffier, huffiest.
If you only knew what great fertilizer and sand in material that makes for the lawn. My kitty's used litter is not for sale!
Kitty
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
A lot of new people have moved in. Another thread opened it up again and some in that thread said to have a new one - so I did.

From what I'm reading most people try to restrict to their yard or sidewalk. I'm glad to hear that. I have no problem with dogs - as long as the human is the one in charge
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Diane, I'm confused..the question is whether you would allow your pup to go on private property? not sure what your answer is to that..
Kitty
Ps can't wait to meet you.
No I would not purposely let my dogs go on private property but if it accidentally happened what can you do.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
My 2 cents worth:

Always walk my dog on my property to relieve herself.
Only after that will we go for a walk.

NOW on this walk she MAY surprise me - I honestly think it has only happened twice that she pooped while on her walk.

I do however walk her in the street and carry bags. Therefore, she did not do anything on anyone's lawn and it was picked up!

Okay so maybe that was 3 cents worth !!!!
You said far better what I was trying to say. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

Personally, I find dog poop threads interesting. The variety of comments amuses me. And the fact that these poop threads keep popping up over and over and over tell me that I am not alone. I keep hoping that some single post will enlighten me as to why those few thoughtless folks who purposely allow their dogs to poop on other people's lawn without picking it up, will appear here. Until then, I read...
Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Sage

Well we take our dogs to the "poop station" aka the "pump station" to do their business before their walks and always, always always pick up their poop and sometimes that of stupid dog owners who don't have a clue. But on occasion walking makes them have to poop again so they do it in the street 'cause I wouldn't dare let them on someone's lawn. Personally I would rather a dog poop in my grass and have it picked up rather than the street where it is as picked up as good as it can be. And don't tell me not to walk my dog on the public streets - dogs need to walk - that is what they do - and unfortunately sometimes they just have to go.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum member

I live in a courtyard villa neighborhood. Most of the neighbors here have dogs.

Except for the area outside our villas entrance, all the grass/landscaping here is paid for and maintained by individual residents. (for those who may not know, there are no sidewalks or parkways in CYV enclaves)

What most do is twofold: When walking their dogs in the immediate area, the dogs are kept on a short leash (as others have mentioned) and walked in the street up to say, the mail station, where there is a grassy, public area.

This area is not specifically designated for dogs, but with proper follow up, dogs can sniff and pee and poop back there, BEHIND the mail station.

In addition, many take their pups for a daily golf car ride. We have at least 90 miles of golf car paths. Most have grassy, sometimes shaded areas adjacent to them. They find a quiet spot, pull their golf car safely off onto the grass and park, then walk their dog to their heart's content, away from any homeowner's property. They pick up the poop, bring it home and properly dispose of it.

Those who have dogs afraid of the golf car, (rare, but okay) those who don't HAVE a golf car (rare, but okay) and those who have multiple dogs may not find this an option- so in that case, your own property is the only reasonable potty solution.

If a dog does not 'like' your own property, oh well. When nature calls they will opt to use it if that is the available option (vs inside). I guarantee.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.