Pee and Poop survey

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
...we always, always always pick up their poop...But on occasion walking makes them have to poop again so they do it in the street 'cause I wouldn't dare let them on someone's lawn...And don't tell me not to walk my dog on the public streets - dogs need to walk - that is what they do - and unfortunately sometimes they just have to go.
Wise words, gomoho. :^)

There are those on both extremes who will never be satisfied. But imho this generally sums up the behavior of most responsible dog owners and describes reality pretty well.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
What most do is twofold: When walking their dogs in the immediate area, the dogs are kept on a short leash (as others have mentioned) and walked in the street up to say, the mail station, where there is a grassy, public area.

This area is not specifically designated for dogs, but with proper follow up, dogs can sniff and pee and poop back there, BEHIND the mail station.
Who made the decision that the mail stations would become a pet waste relief area? Are the postal stations and the grounds public or private land? If it is private land then the owner whether the Morses, VCDD, or private contractor sets the rules. If they are public then usage would be regulated by whatever governmental agencies have jurisdiction. Most Sumter County parks prohibit dogs completely while a few allow dogs but require that pet stations be used. Sumter County, FL - Official Website

So the fact that land is even public does not mean that it therefore becomes a dog defecation zone.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
...So the fact that land is even public does not mean that it therefore becomes a dog defecation zone.
No disrespect intended, but if you're taking about typical public road right-of-way, good luck with enforcement, even IF it's deemed to be a violation.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

I let my dogs pee and poop all over the place. I pick up the poop, the urine-not so much.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I don't think the OP is trying to understand the topic. I think he is just trying to generate discussion on the issue. As you said, it's been discussed over and over and over for years. We've all made our positions known.

My position is that we need more dog parks in The Villages. Since two dogs are allowed per household, there are a heck of a lot of dogs living in The Villages. There are three tiny dog parks provided by The Developer. If we had more dog parks, we would have a lot fewer problems with dogs being walked in the neighborhoods.

I don't have a horse in this race. We don't walk our dogs in the neighborhood. We take our dogs daily to the private dog park on CR 101, and we're happy to pay to do that.
Wow. I'm impressed that all the dog owner responders to this topic do it the right way. How is it that on any ride of at least 10 minutes duration in virtually any direction it is almost impossible to not see a canine with a foot in the air or hunched over the destination of it's forthcoming poop. Usually either on public property or a homeowners yard which Id bet isn't the yard the dog belongs in.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Well since Admin shut down the political forum I find the poop threads exciting and fully charged. I am one who puts humans, most anyway, above all else animals, conservation, etc . to me earth was made for humans . naturally some respect by humans is essential so that we leave plenty of living for future generations.

Dog owners rights of owning two dogs come with responsibilities. I'll make a wager that the application of those responsibilities falls within the bell curve. someone like Barefoot captures my respect because she has a good balance between her rights and the rights of others. such courtesy goes a long way.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
An anonymous poll set up for the question would get more accurate answers in numbers..
I agree, see post #2. No one on TOTV allows their dogs to poop on others' property. Well, except Patty.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Who made the decision that the mail stations would become a pet waste relief area? Are the postal stations and the grounds public or private land? If it is private land then the owner whether the Morses, VCDD, or private contractor sets the rules. If they are public then usage would be regulated by whatever governmental agencies have jurisdiction. Most Sumter County parks prohibit dogs completely while a few allow dogs but require that pet stations be used. Sumter County, FL - Official Website

So the fact that land is even public does not mean that it therefore becomes a dog defecation zone.
I am referring to the large grassy area BEHIND the mail station that is designated to OUR village of Tamarind Grove. I used phrase 'the mail station' as a reference point.
If you will visit the area, perhaps you will see the grounds I am referring to.
Neighborhood watch has told me that since this is a common area, they will not prevent people from walking their dogs back there.
However, the dogs MUST be on a leash and the owners are EXPECTED to pick up the poop, take it HOME and dispose of it properly.

I did NOT infer that mail stations are poop stations.
Personally, I love dogs, owned many, but don't presently have one. Most of my friends and neighbors do and I enjoy them immensely.

I get annoyed when I see a dog allowed to pee on a flowering ornamental plant border.... wherever it may be. (and here's a clue, if enough concentration of urine is deposited by yours AND other dogs, the plants will burn and die. Honest.) I get annoyed when a dog is allowed to pee/poop in front of outdoor dining tables at a restaurant, whether the owner picks it up or not.
Dog owners with that habit are blankety-blank slobs to me. SLOBS.
Call me quirky.
This whole thing is so easy. The only requirement is that you must give a s--t about others (no pun intended) or at least care about preserving the beautiful surroundings you chose to live in.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Just a related question, since I feel a bit ornery today...

I haven't checked if this applies to TV, but usually sidewalk is placed a couple feet inside the right-of-way, not on the actual house lot (even though the homeowner is typically responsible for mowing the grass). So if a dog is allowed to use this portion of the right-of-way, does that constitute improperly using another person's property/lawn?
Actually the right of way is for utilities to have access if needed. I worked in the urban cities of New Jersey (Newark Paterson etc.) in the high rises people would urinate in the halls, stairwells, elevators. When I would ask them why they would do that, they would say they don't own it.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Sage

I love all animals so I don't care about the yellow circles, but I think for the sake of those folks that do care, I say!!!!!!!!!

KEEP OFF private property. You are welcome to use my lot
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
I am referring to the large grassy area BEHIND the mail station that is designated to OUR village of Tamarind Grove. I used phrase 'the mail station' as a reference point.
If you will visit the area, perhaps you will see the grounds I am referring to.
Neighborhood watch has told me that since this is a common area, they will not prevent people from walking their dogs back there.
However, the dogs MUST be on a leash and the owners are EXPECTED to pick up the poop, take it HOME and dispose of it properly.

I did NOT infer that mail stations are poop stations.
Personally, I love dogs, owned many, but don't presently have one. Most of my friends and neighbors do and I enjoy them immensely.

I get annoyed when I see a dog allowed to pee on a flowering ornamental plant border.... wherever it may be. (and here's a clue, if enough concentration of urine is deposited by yours AND other dogs, the plants will burn and die. Honest.) I get annoyed when a dog is allowed to pee/poop in front of outdoor dining tables at a restaurant, whether the owner picks it up or not.
Dog owners with that habit are blankety-blank slobs to me. SLOBS.
Call me quirky.
This whole thing is so easy. The only requirement is that you must give a s--t about others (no pun intended) or at least care about preserving the beautiful surroundings you chose to live in.
Well done
Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

Why are there no signs that say that owners are responsible for cleaning up after their dog? We walk our dogs on the road or pet them use the green around the retention pond outside our villas. Many dogs are walked there and it seems that most pick up but there are some who do not. There are no signs that request owners to pick up and we were wondering if perhaps the thought is that if there are signs then people would use the area more intentionally and it would be an official dog site. Without a sign, people are choosing to use the area and hopefully are considerate enough to keep it clean.

Maybe the county doesn't want to be responsible for designating the area as a dog area. Then maybe there would have to be litter cans for disposal or something like that. Anyway it has always been a curiosity, similar to why there are no North and South signs at the main BV and Morse and Canal intersections which would be most useful, especially for those directionally challenged. But that's another thread.

LW888
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I agree, see post #2. No one on TOTV allows their dogs to poop on others' property. Well, except Patty.
Before I moved here I never picked up dog poop, it was never an issue.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM

I love all the people who do not want a dog to touch their grass but will let their CAT run freely all over the place. Let me tell you I have never had a dog burn my grass BUT a cat is sure to burn grass and leave something stinky in your flowers. Oh yea the owner of course do not pick up.
Polar is right there is a right of way that doesn't belong to owners of house but which they must mow.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Why are there no signs that say that owners are responsible for cleaning up after their dog? We walk our dogs on the road or pet them use the green around the retention pond outside our villas. Many dogs are walked there and it seems that most pick up but there are some who do not. There are no signs that request owners to pick up and we were wondering if perhaps the thought is that if there are signs then people would use the area more intentionally and it would be an official dog site. Without a sign, people are choosing to use the area and hopefully are considerate enough to keep it clean.

Maybe the county doesn't want to be responsible for designating the area as a dog area. Then maybe there would have to be litter cans for disposal or something like that. Anyway it has always been a curiosity, similar to why there are no North and South signs at the main BV and Morse and Canal intersections which would be most useful, especially for those directionally challenged. But that's another thread.

LW888
I personally don't think we need more signs. The Villages is a beautiful place, more signs will only hinder that beauty..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.