Pet door

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2023, 09:38 AM
Gold member
Default Pet door

I’m having difficulty finding a pet panel that will fit my sliding glass door. Apparently the sliding doors installed in 2011 are some off brand, they certainly are not Anderson. Has anyone else run into this problem? I see there is a contractor who will cut the glass in your slider and install a pet door. I’m assuming that is a costly project and probably not a diy job. Any experiences out there?
Thank you
Old 12-14-2023, 01:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

You never need to cut a hole in a glass door for a doggie door, and it would be suicidal to do that. If you examine the glass doors, you will probably find that the one that doesn't normally open can actually be slid away from the door jam by removing some screws. Then all you need is a panel to fill that opening.

If you have the ability to do this yourself, go down to lowes and buy an white MDF 12"x8' shelf. Cut it to fit the opening and then cut the appropriate hole in it for your doggie door. Or hire a handy man to do it for you.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I’m having difficulty finding a pet panel that will fit my sliding glass door. Apparently the sliding doors installed in 2011 are some off brand, they certainly are not Anderson. Has anyone else run into this problem? I see there is a contractor who will cut the glass in your slider and install a pet door. I’m assuming that is a costly project and probably not a diy job. Any experiences out there?
Thank you
https://www.petsmart.com/dog/crates-...fmethod=Browse
Old 12-14-2023, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I have a pet door small dog, medium cat that we no longer need, let me know if you are interested in it.
Old 12-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Have you tried Armor-Flex or Endura doggy doors? Fair warning: Expect to pay $500 to $1,000 for a solid, double pane, e-gas, aluminum framed high quality doggy door.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 12-14-2023, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Just be aware predators live here, and letting you pet out unaccompanied, Maybe your worst enemy.

We had a very large cat (probably Bobcat, or panther) try to make an entrance into our birdcage, at our last house. Cameras went off along with the motion floodlights, that may have scared it, but hole would have been large enough to enter lanai. We no longer allow our Himalayan in the lanai without someone being present. It’s just our precautions, at 13yo only 4lbs she is not quick, enough to get away.

Last edited by asianthree; 12-15-2023 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, I forgot to add, you can try the pet door and make sure it works for you. I did modify it so it could stay in place and keep the house locked, and as I recall it has an insert to keep your pet in and any predators out. We never used this as this was used in the lanai, and it let the kitties out to the birdcage, not the great outdoors.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Thank you

99% fit in tracks and are adjustable.

Amazon.com
Old 12-14-2023, 09:49 PM
Veteran member

Hale Pet Doors and Security Boss pet door makes some of the best pet doors available. The last one I had was double pane with e-glass and custom fit to my door. Having said that, I recently had a door installed through the wall and we love it. We have a poured wall home, and it took the guy about 4 hours to cut through, but it look fantastic and works great! Our entire back yard is screened in, so no worries about other animals using it. Our 2 cats use it all the time.

When you install a pet door in a sliding door, the main door only slides part way open. In our case, it made the door unusable. There are companies that will install one in the actual sliding door - they replace the entire pane of glass with a pet door in one corner. The issue I was with this was:

1) It's very expensive (around $1,000)
2) If the window leaks, loses a seal, or gets broken, you have to buy an entire new custom window (see #1)
3) The through the wall install was about 1/2 of the price of this option... and it works great and leaves the slider alone.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you
I purchased my pet door from Petsmart online.
The height of the door and size of your pet are needed. About $200 a few years ago.
We have the temporary insert version that can be made permanent. Ours is still temporary .. no screws. We have large cats and the large opening for medium dogs works. We hear a magnetic click whenever they use it. We will need a higher sliding door under for our new birdcage and plan to buy another of the same. Also check Chewy and other online pet suppliers.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:26 AM
Default Pet door

We had a dog door panel we used but with the dual sliding doors could not secure it. We contacted Glass Doctor, bought the dog door, they installed it in a new panel of glass, installed the glass in our door frame, and there you go a dog door and we can lock the sliders
Old 12-15-2023, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Check out Amazon. I have one that is comply adjustable and accommodates a variety of heights. It was reasonably priced and can be permanently installed or you can remove it if you are away. I believe the local Pet shops sell them as well. My dog loves hers. Just be aware that you will need to purchase weather stripping to keep out the heat, cold, bugs and anoles.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
Hale Pet Doors and Security Boss pet door makes some of the best pet doors available. The last one I had was double pane with e-glass and custom fit to my door. Having said that, I recently had a door installed through the wall and we love it. We have a poured wall home, and it took the guy about 4 hours to cut through, but it look fantastic and works great! Our entire back yard is screened in, so no worries about other animals using it. Our 2 cats use it all the time.

When you install a pet door in a sliding door, the main door only slides part way open. In our case, it made the door unusable. There are companies that will install one in the actual sliding door - they replace the entire pane of glass with a pet door in one corner. The issue I was with this was:

1) It's very expensive (around $1,000)
2) If the window leaks, loses a seal, or gets broken, you have to buy an entire new custom window (see #1)
3) The through the wall install was about 1/2 of the price of this option... and it works great and leaves the slider alone.
Could you tell me who installed your pet door?
Old 12-15-2023, 07:14 AM

Years ago, a friend from Maryland told me about what had happened one night. Her cat came busting through the pet door with a racoon close on its tail. The friend yelled at the racoon and it turned around and left. Another time, she came home and found a racoon on the kitchen counter eating the cat's food. She wondered why they were using so much food and the cat wasn't gaining weight. She told me about a pet door that locks and only opens when a tag you put on the pet's collar activates it.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:27 AM
Default Autoslide on chewy com

The dog wears a medallion that opens the sliding door and closes it when they leave.
Closed Thread

Tags
pet, door, glass, sliding, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.