Pet Lovers Stupidity!!

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Default Pet Lovers Stupidity!!

My wife and I were at the Farmers Market in Brownwood today around noon. The temperature was probably in the 90's. The road surface was probably over 100 degrees. Here comes a guy with a little shelty dog. As he stopped at one of the booths, the dog immediately layed down and tried to lick his paws. My wife went over to ask the guy if he realized his dog was probably burning his feet. The man basically told her to mind her own business. As he walked away, the dog kept trying to lay down. There were other dogs there also, but this one was obviously in distress. Why can't these so-called animal lovers understand their animals better. If the human can't walk on the surface without foot protection due to the hot surface, why the hell do they subject their beloved animals to this torture?? I'm hoping someone can see themselves in this rant and become a little more aware.

Last edited by foxmeadow; 07-20-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 07-06-2013, 02:21 PM

Hopefully even though he told you to mind your own business, he will think about what you said and do better in the future. I am not sure why so many pet owners think that they should take their dog everywhere with them even when it is not in the dog's best interest.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

Wow..that truly is not a dog lover. That is a selfish person who cared more about showing his dog off than it's well being. I would have been in the guy's face until he finally picked that poor dog up. Hurray for your wife confronting him.

I see a lot of people pushing dogs in strollers in this heat as well. Those things are toasters on wheels...no air flow and that plastic gets HOT. What's worse is a couple of them actually put clothes on these poor dogs!! Stupid people...get a Barbie and leave your dogs at home!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeadow View Post
My wife and I were at the Farmers Market in Brownwood today around noon. The temperature was probably in the 90's. The road surface was probably over 100 degrees. Here comes a guy with a little shelty dog. As he stopped at one of the booths, the dog immediately layed down and tried to lick his paws. My wife went over to ask the guy if he realized his dog was probably burning his feet. The man basically told her to mind her own business. As he walked away, the dog kept trying to lay down. There were other dogs there also, but this one was obviously in distress. Why can't these so-called animal lovers understand their animals better. If the human can't walk on the surface without foot protection due to the hot surface, why the hell do they subject their beloved animals to this torture?? I'm hoping someone can see themselves in this rant and become a little more aware.
thanks for posting. who thinks of burnt puppy paws? it's so foreign an idea when you never heard of pups with blistered feeties. pix on the news of pups in the Arizona heatwave alerted me.. all of the dogs are wearing foot covers.
keep up the good work..
Kitty
Old 07-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Same thing at Spanish Springs for the Farmer's Market on Thursday. I cannot imagine what they are thinking --------- oops, they are not thinking or the poor animal would be waiting in the air conditioned house.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Sage

oh dear, people come here from all over and the idea of baked puppy paws is inconceivable...please let's not condemn.
I'm sure no one with an inkling would expose their dog to harm.
Kitty--Loves puppies and their owners too
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Platinum member

What a poor puppy. Hope the owner gets some brains soon.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieb View Post
Hopefully even though he told you to mind your own business, he will think about what you said and do better in the future. I am not sure why so many pet owners think that they should take their dog everywhere with them even when it is not in the dog's best interest.
I agree with you, janieb. The first response by the dog's owner might be be one of defense and anger. Who wants to becalled out o something that would make them look careless? But hopefully, the owner will go home and think about it.

Good for the OP's wife for speaking up. It may not have been popular at the time, but it may have done some good for the dog.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

Not to steal the thread, but do you see many people in TV with shoes on their dog's feet? I am being serious because I want to know what I need to do when I come down with my dogs and how to handle walking my dogs since they obviously can't only go outside well before sunrise and long after sunset.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Gold member

When it's 90 out pavement can be 130 , blacktop can reach over 150. Human skin will burn in. 1 second at 158 .... So I don't think it's foolish for dogs to have some sort of foot protection when walking on super hot pavement or black top. Try walking bare foot on it and see how long you can.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Foxmeadow ... good for you highlighting this issue! Good for your wife who talked to the dog's owner!

Another problem I see is people locking their dogs in cars on hot days. I think that is just cruel. I always go in the store (while my husband hides) and page the owners of the car. Some times they're belligerent, some time they thank me. Either way, they usually get in the car and drive off, and hopefully will think twice before doing it again.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Gold member

I lived in Arizona for a while and it was not uncommon to see billboards advertising not to leave children or pets in a hot car. I think people need positive reinforcement some times.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Not to steal the thread, but do you see many people in TV with shoes on their dog's feet? I am being serious because I want to know what I need to do when I come down with my dogs and how to handle walking my dogs since they obviously can't only go outside well before sunrise and long after sunset.
Most folks are out walking the dogs before 8 or after 6. You will probably find it much more comfortable for yourself during those hours as well. I have never seen a pooch here with foot protection.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

My dog groomer was giving everyone a "heads up" on this issue last week when I was in there. She said they have been seeing some dogs "pads" in horrible condition - obviously burned.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Ltbd, I have never seen a dog with foot protection either, but I wonder if they even work if, like an earlier poster said, the street temp gets up to 130. Our big dog can't handle the heat and hot sun beating down on him, boots or no boots, so we walk early morning or after dark.

Do you know about Doggie Doo Run run? That's a big dog park, all grass, easy on the feet--yours and theirs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.