pets

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Default pets

I just bought a house in the Villages(I am so excited). I have two cats that like to go outside. I am thinking of putting in an invisible fence which I never realized they made for cats. There are very good reviews online but I would like to know if anyone has ever tried it. I hope it works as good as people say but I would like to know your thoughts.I will be bringing down my cats in october 2014 after I have my house all set up.I want to get them ready for thier big adjustment. let me know what you think please.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Sage

I wouldn't recommend this. We have predatory birds and other animals here in FL. IF you have cats that like to be outside...consider using your screened in lanai for that.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbyR View Post
I just bought a house in the Villages(I am so excited). I have two cats that like to go outside. I am thinking of putting in an invisible fence which I never realized they made for cats. There are very good reviews online but I would like to know if anyone has ever tried it. I hope it works as good as people say but I would like to know your thoughts.I will be bringing down my cats in october 2014 after I have my house all set up.I want to get them ready for thier big adjustment. let me know what you think please.
I would start getting your kitties adjusted to staying indoors now.
They won't like it, but will get used to it.
Too many lost kitty stories on here.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

I don't know about predatory birds here as opposed to other places, but we do have different varieties of ants and other critters that I would not like my cats around. Also, the heat here in the summer is not good for any pet..they CAN sunburn, overheat, etc. I would say like NotGolfer...keep them in the lanai. We even screened our front in basically for the cats, so they have 2 views to watch...haha. Nah...I would never let my kitties out. They'll adjust.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

An invisible fence may keep your cat in the yard but it will not keep other creatures from coming into the yard.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
An invisible fence may keep your cat in the yard but it will not keep other creatures from coming into the yard.

The Villages Florida
Yikes!!! Did you see the one about the bears in the pool down in Naples...hysterical...well, after the fact, at least. They looked like they were having so much fun.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Platinum member

Coyotes in The Villages can be very fast and bold toward small animals. Best to keep then in a screened enclosure.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbyR View Post
First, welcome and congrats on your new home. It is truly an exciting new journey. To answer your question, I would not recommend letting the cats outside to roam on your property for a couple of reasons. First, is the amount of pesticides and fertilizers that are put on the grass is a lot more in my opinion than what we had done up north and not too healthy for an animal. Second, is the heat and humidity in summer unless they have access to shade and water. And, depending where you live and proximity to water, gators. It is not a huge problem, but they have been known to grab small pets who get to close. Also, coyotes. Again, not a huge problem but they have been spotted here in TV. My hubby has seen them when coming home from work at night a couple of times here in Sanibel. On a good note, we have 2 cats who were indoor/outdoor kitties and they adjusted very well to being confined to the lanai and our small birdcage. In fact, they do not like to be outside when it is really hot and humid. They always want right back in. Same is true if there are workers, construction, etc. in the neighborhood or our neighbors or us are getting our lawn cut. Too much noise and scares them. Also, you may want to think about the parade of dog walkers on your street. Yes, the dogs are leashed but some owners allow their dogs to run up on your property. What if they see your cat out? Where will the cat run to escape a dog barking at them? It is not my intention to upset you, just give you a little perspective from a cat owner who lives in TV full time. TV is a great place to live and we live in a great neighborhood. New home, new lifestyle and as with anything in life, new adjustments. By the way, don't be surprised once you are here for awhile you will start to see those little lizards called anoles. They are harmless and eat bugs. But they can be a source of entertainment for the cats. Mine like to grab them if they get on the lanai and run in the house with them to show Mommy and let them go! I catch them and put them outside the lanai and hope for the best.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

I too have a cat that I would NEVER let outdoors. The alligator shown at someone's door is a rare, but you do see them sauntering around sometimes. I am more afraid of the coyotes and foxes which are much more common. The lanai is made for kitties. Mine spends a good portion of the day out there. There also is an animal leash law here that includes cats.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Thank all of you for your advice. I actually posted this subject twice and explained everything on the post"Invisible fence fo cats" Debbyrich. I am going to try very hard to keep my cats in but I have two very quick and sneaky cats.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Debby, here is a head's up. Several times I've heard a loud noises outside my house and when I investigated I found the drain pipe ripped from the siding with teeth marks through the metal. I've come to learn small animals will seek shelter in the drains when being chased by a critter. I don't know who the critter is but it is strong with sharp teeth. I no longer have cats but if I did I would never allow them outside alone. I've also found a couple of piles of fur scattered on my lawn as well.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 PM

I am getting very worried and hope I have made the right move. I love the house I bought in the Villages so much and cannot wait to be there. I always thought where we live in New hampshire was a lot more dangerous. My cats are the most important thing in my life(don't tell my husband). I am still installing the invisible fence but will walk my two five year old cats on a leash. At least I will know I have a secondary protection if they sneak out between my legs when I open a door.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Gold member

Good to know they will wear a collar. Many won't.
Be sure to have updated tags and micro chip info.
There are not as many escape routes (trees) down here,
as they are used to in NH.
They will adjust to only going out on a leash, supervised.
You will do fine.
Let us know how the invisible fence works out...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Platinum member

You can build in a little insurance this way: have your back door exit into a screened in lanai or glassed in porch. Get approval to build a screened in area in front of your entry way so that your front door exits into a screened in area. So, if they do sneak out the door, they are still protected.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 02-14-2014, 09:16 AM

That is exactly why we bought the house that we did. It has a screened lanai in the front and then sliding doors into the house so that if a cat tries to get out it has to go through two doors and that will not happen(I hope).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.