Pit bull attacks pooch in Historic Side of Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2022, 03:17 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
My brother had a pit bull. It was the sweetest, most even-tempered dog ever.

Right up to the time it attacked his daughter.

You can't blame the dog. A pit bull is what it is. And what it is, is a dog bred to be aggressive; bull-baiting and dog fighting primarily, with a powerful bite strength of 235 psi. But when they bite they don't just bite. They tear. They hang on and rip. That is why a pit bull attack can be the most damaging of any dog, even dogs twice it's size.

Statistics bear out the danger of this breed. In the time-period 2005 - 2017, dog attacks killed 433 Americans. 284 of these deaths were by pit bulls. Rottweilers came in at #2, responsible for 10.4% of the deaths. That is two-thirds of all deaths from dog attacks in America--by a breed that numbers-wise makes up barely 6% of the canine population in this country (International Dog Day 2020 website). Pit bulls lead heavily in the number of reported attacks as well, with 3,397 attacks in the time-period compared to 535 by rottweilers.

Not all pit bulls are dangerous. But far too many times, a trusted family pet turns killer, with the most unsettling statistic being that fully 25% of pit bull fatalities are of children 0-2. My niece was lucky: her father was in the house at the time, interrupted the attack and the pit bull met it's maker a few minutes later courtesy of a .357 magnum bullet to the head. But not all children are so lucky.

Many countries ban pit bulls totally. In America a lot of home insurers won't insure your home if you own a pit bull.

Maybe it's time we looked at banning them too.

You said what is usually left unsaid ! I am sure there are many many "sweet" pit bulls and others, mastiff perhaps ? But you said it all, they are what they are, not the best breed for domestic pets, but many will disagree and never have a problem. But I reminds me of the tragic Siegfried & Roy horror... after all those years of domestic breeding of their own line, their pets living exactly like human children in their home, and then...... as you said... and THEN..... nature.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:22 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:

You can't blame the dog. A pit bull is what it is. And what it is, is a dog bred to be aggressive; bull-baiting and dog fighting primarily, with a powerful bite strength of 235 psi. But when they bite they don't just bite. They tear. They hang on and rip. That is why a pit bull attack can be the most damaging of any dog, even dogs twice it's size.

Statistics bear out the danger of this breed. In the time-period 2005 - 2017, dog attacks killed 433 Americans. 284 of these deaths were by pit bulls. Rottweilers came in at #2, responsible for 10.4% of the deaths. That is two-thirds of all deaths from dog attacks in America--by a breed that numbers-wise makes up barely 6% of the canine population in this country (International Dog Day 2020 website). Pit bulls lead heavily in the number of reported attacks as well, with 3,397 attacks in the time-period compared to 535 by rottweilers.

Not all pit bulls are dangerous. But far too many times, a trusted family pet turns killer, with the most unsettling statistic being that fully 25% of pit bull fatalities are of children 0-2. My niece was lucky: her father was in the house at the time, interrupted the attack and the pit bull met it's maker a few minutes later courtesy of a .357 magnum bullet to the head. But not all children are so lucky.

Many countries ban pit bulls totally. In America a lot of home insurers won't insure your home if you own a pit bull.

You said what is usually left unsaid ! I am sure there are many many "sweet" pit bulls and others, mastiff perhaps ? But you said it all, they are what they are, not the best breed for domestic pets, but many will disagree and never have a problem. It reminds me of the tragic Siegfried & Roy horror... after all those years of domestic breeding of their own line of while tigers, their pets living exactly like human children in their home, and then...... as you said... and THEN..... nature.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I'm not certain if things have changed in the 6 1/2 years we've been here but when we did purchase our first home in the Historic Section we were told by The Villages Insurance that several breeds of dogs were not allowed to be on our insurance policy. All I cared about was if a Boxer was allowed or not. Turns out it was NOT because it was deemed to be too aggressive.

You could have been breaking into our home when Barney the Boxer was home alone and instead of protecting our home, he would have gotten them something cold to drink from the fridge. Sorta like Alex from Strohs.

I rolled the dice and just left him off the policy. I am not usually a dice roller on such things but he was our boy and what the hell was I going to do with him? So having child molesters in the surrounding area is okay, drunk drivers, no problemo but having a Boxer is a problem? I know you could blow a thousand holes in the way I'm thinking about this but a Boxer being aggressive? Not any that I've ever come across. We loved that damn dog and losing him so early was a heartbreaker. I brought him to the dog park twice and the second time he had a run-in with a beautiful-looking Pit. Nevermore to the dog park. Our boy got a little chipped up but was fine in a few days. The Vet gave him something for the bite or scratch he got. I paid for it all and just let it go.

That being said. If he was killed by that Pit I'd probably be living at Coleman in an Orange Colored uniform.

Bastards, control your animal. Keep them on a leash and whoever called someone in another thread I read yesterday a M....F I hope karma catches up with you quickly.

I rest my case!
I had a cousin who always had a Boxer dog/s around her all her life.
Not one was aggressive or snappy.
Slobber you to death though!
They always reminded me of the kid who made the class laugh. A bit thick, but had their smarts.
She always called them her 'loyal clowns!'
Old 12-03-2022, 05:41 AM

If your Dog attacks my Dog and we’re 100% in the Right, Your dog “will” be put down on the spot……. It is what it is, Izz! I’m the sole protector of My Dogs!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 12-03-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Pit Bulls top the statistical lists as the #1 killer of people every year. But trying to get people to believe this fact is like trying to convince anti-vaxers to get a shot. They will always say things like, "They always misidentify the breed", "There are no bad Pit Bulls- only bad owners". "I've owned Pit Bulls my whole life and they are gentle". The deeply rooted denial of facts in the face of solid, repeating statistics boggles the mind. Go ahead- do a Google search ("Google is flawed", "The American Kennel Club's statistics are wrong")
So apparently you're not aware of statistics anti vaxxers are doing better than those who are, current Kaiser foundation study so your point is moot..
Old 12-03-2022, 06:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu4206 View Post
I cannot find it on the other site. I also did not know you could not post a link from the other site.
Just google villages pit bull kills dog. Interestingly, they were both “daughters” of villagers. One daughter was walking her and her parents dogs and the pit bull belonged to a different daughter and it seems like the “villager”, not the daughter was walking the pit bull and it broke free from him/her. So likely, the villager wasn’t prepared for what to do next since it wasn’t their dog. But I agree that some of the nicest dogs I’ve ever met were pit bulls and I’ve only encountered one time that a mean dog bit me and it was a cocker spaniel. Go figure.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

This is one of the worst pit bull attacks I ever read about.

2 Children Killed, Mother Hospitalized After Family Pit Bulls Attack Them

They killed both kids even though though the dogs were pets for 8 years.

So if you are attacked, what are some of the best ways to survive a dog mauling?
Old 12-03-2022, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Breeding of pit bulls needs to be outlawed. Sterilization of existing pit bulls mandated, registration of pit bull ownership legislated and owners with unregistered pit bull heavily fined with confiscation of the pit bull. Bottom line would be to phase out the breed over time while allowing current owners to keep their dogs. Oh yeah, somehow would need to clearly define “pit bull” as a breed. (American Staffordshire terrier is usually referred to as a pit bull). By the way the AmStat is a beautiful dog and folks I’ve known who owned them called them gentle and friendly. One told me his vet said the issue is with the skull over compressing the brain as the dog grows. Sounded strange to me and I doubt that is what causes the aggression
Old 12-03-2022, 07:05 AM

So apparently you're not aware of statistics anti vaxxers are doing better than those who are, current Kaiser foundation study so your point is moot..

Calling false on that statement! Another cherry picked statistic. Go to Kaiser’s site and see what they say about getting vaccinated.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Pit Bulls top the statistical lists as the #1 killer of people every year. But trying to get people to believe this fact is like trying to convince anti-vaxers to get a shot. They will always say things like, "They always misidentify the breed", "There are no bad Pit Bulls- only bad owners". "I've owned Pit Bulls my whole life and they are gentle". The deeply rooted denial of facts in the face of solid, repeating statistics boggles the mind. Go ahead- do a Google search ("Google is flawed", "The American Kennel Club's statistics are wrong")
Why do people get these dogs
Old 12-03-2022, 07:13 AM
Default Smh

But trying to get people to believe this fact is like trying to convince anti-vaxers to get a shot. They will always say things like, "They always misidentify the breed", "There are no bad Pit Bulls- only bad owners". "I've owned Pit Bulls my whole life……

Omg still peddling this misinformation…..
Old 12-03-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Good question, I’d like to know as well. Bragging rights that they own the meanest breed?
Old 12-03-2022, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
In most places it is to guard illegal drugs.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:48 AM

My first intro to a pit bull was a neighbor friend who had a white one as a pet several years ago before they got into the news. He said check this out and had the pit bull bite onto a flip flop, then he held up the flip flop to about his waist area and spun around 5 times with the dog holding on, emphasizing the grip the dog had.

Many years later I met a couple of really sweet ones. A white one named Missy that was given to a relative and they later had to give it away because that breed wasn't allowed in their building. And a giant brown one that the owner brought to work. Scary big but super sweet. It would come over and greet everyone and I would pet it and talk gently to it. It loved turkey bacon so I quickly made friends after giving him a small piece. 5 years ago I had an aggressive one lunge at me on a leash outside at my complex. Thankfully the owner held it back and said no to it.

But the thing is with pits is that it doesn't take just training it to attack and be aggressive to get it that way, but simply aggressive playing that you may traditionally do with other dogs brings that out in them. Should never play tug of war or be pushing away their face or any aggressive game. You can with some other breeds and they're okay with it, but not pits. It teaches them to play rough, which they may one day do to another. Owner may say "my pit is the sweetest" but how do they play with it?

As for why they choose to get that dog, most will say for protection. But one day they may need protection from them.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:39 AM

I trust no Pit-Bulls. Mixed or not mixed. The problem is.... one does not know how mixed they may be, do they have the gene to kill somewhere in their DNA? When folks find out it is too late. I sure would not want my child, grandchild, neighbor's pet or anyone to be attacked by a pt bull. I had a neighbor, his sister that was killed by her two "sweet-loving" pit bulls. We probably all know a story of some kind about Pits and their temperament. At the end of the day... they are animals. In most instances, they are smarter that their owners. Just saying...
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, pit, bull, villages, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.