Pit bull attacks pooch in Historic Side of Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Why do people get these dogs
Good question. Protection? Prestige?

Overcompensating for deficiencies in other--areas--perhaps?

Back in the day our quiet little town gradually became a destination for the drug trade. This wasn't helped by the fact that the town, unbeknownst to the residents, was being used as a dumping ground for the Witness Protection Program. Along with this there was a gradual influx of dogs known to be dangerous: pit bulls and akitas mainly, owned by folks who had a "business" to run and who felt the need to protect their trade with such a dog. There was a leash law in town but not always followed; there had been a gradual rise in sightings of pit bulls and akitas roaming off-leash. Not common, but enough to convince me to carry a pistol whenever I went walking in one of the numerous and beautiful parks our city sported.

Part of my job at the time was investigating allegations of child abuse and neglect. Usually we took a uniformed officer along but that wasn't always possible. Suffice it to say there were instances when we were NOT welcome on the premises. We were taught to regard a homeowner or (more often) renter holding a pit bull or akita on a leash exactly as if we had a loaded gun pointed at us, and to vacate the premises as quickly as possible.

These dogs have a well-earned reputation, and an increase in illicit activities in any community only increases their presence.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Statistically, if a dog kills you it is a Pit. Pit apologists say, "It's how they were raised" that's not so, all breeds have bad owners. Most Pits live their whole life not killing anyone, but not all. To me, its a bit like playing Russian Roulette. Five empty chambers...... do you want to have a dog that probably won't kill someone... but might.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:50 AM
Default Pit bull attack

That pitbull and it’s owner passed my house a number of times in the past few months. It nearly attacked my dog and shouldn’t be allowed in the area. I love dogs. I’ve always had them, but when they turn vicious, they’re frightening. I don’t want to see harm come to that animal, but I do think it belongs in a sheltered area.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

My yorkie was attached by a pit. He pulled the dog from my arms,. The resulting trauma cost about $2000 in vet bills. Penalty to the pit owner, $50 for not having the dog licensed. Cops did nothing and could not care less. I ordinarily, do not like to see compulsive action, but pitties are a danger to everyone. The numbers do not lie.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
You said what is usually left unsaid ! I am sure there are many many "sweet" pit bulls and others, mastiff perhaps ? But you said it all, they are what they are, not the best breed for domestic pets, but many will disagree and never have a problem. But I reminds me of the tragic Siegfried & Roy horror... after all those years of domestic breeding of their own line, their pets living exactly like human children in their home, and then...... as you said... and THEN..... nature.
"People say that Tiger went crazy...

No, that Tiger went TIGER!"

- Chris Rock

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2022, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Pit Bulls top the statistical lists as the #1 killer of people every year. But trying to get people to believe this fact is like trying to convince anti-vaxers to get a shot. They will always say things like, "They always misidentify the breed", "There are no bad Pit Bulls- only bad owners". "I've owned Pit Bulls my whole life and they are gentle". The deeply rooted denial of facts in the face of solid, repeating statistics boggles the mind. Go ahead- do a Google search ("Google is flawed", "The American Kennel Club's statistics are wrong")
You just HAD to go there...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobullymom View Post
So apparently you're not aware of statistics anti vaxxers are doing better than those who are, current Kaiser foundation study so your point is moot..
Aaaad we're off!

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2022, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Breeding of pit bulls needs to be outlawed. Sterilization of existing pit bulls mandated, registration of pit bull ownership legislated and owners with unregistered pit bull heavily fined with confiscation of the pit bull. Bottom line would be to phase out the breed over time while allowing current owners to keep their dogs. Oh yeah, somehow would need to clearly define “pit bull” as a breed. (American Staffordshire terrier is usually referred to as a pit bull). By the way the AmStat is a beautiful dog and folks I’ve known who owned them called them gentle and friendly. One told me his vet said the issue is with the skull over compressing the brain as the dog grows. Sounded strange to me and I doubt that is what causes the aggression
So, SOME Pit Bulls are okay, but others have to be eliminated?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
In most places it is to guard illegal drugs.
Most places?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2022, 09:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
My yorkie was attached by a pit. He pulled the dog from my arms,. The resulting trauma cost about $2000 in vet bills. Penalty to the pit owner, $50 for not having the dog licensed. Cops did nothing and could not care less. I ordinarily, do not like to see compulsive action, but pitties are a danger to everyone. The numbers do not lie.
The only time I've ever been bitten by a dog was by a sweet little Yorkie...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2022, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbraun View Post
So apparently you're not aware of statistics anti vaxxers are doing better than those who are, current Kaiser foundation study so your point is moot..

Calling false on that statement! Another cherry picked statistic. Go to Kaiser’s site and see what they say about getting vaccinated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
But trying to get people to believe this fact is like trying to convince anti-vaxers to get a shot. They will always say things like, "They always misidentify the breed", "There are no bad Pit Bulls- only bad owners". "I've owned Pit Bulls my whole life……

Omg still peddling this misinformation…..
Can we please stick to one argument at a time?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2022, 09:23 AM

Just like those who say we need more guns to stop the violence when all the stats show that the more guns we have, the more people die from being shot.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I think this is related because it goes to the heart of the mindset of people who refuse to accept the facts -- in other words, it's the same thing, the same processing of information that leads to harmful actions.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
I think this is related because it goes to the heart of the mindset of people who refuse to accept the facts
I think this is related because it goes to the heart of the mindset of people who refuse to accept YOUR INTERPRETATION OF the facts

Here’s the sentence from the Keyser study…..
“ In fall 2021, about 3 in 10 adults dying of COVID-19 were vaccinated or boosted. But by January 2022, as we showed in an analysis posted on the Peterson-KFF Health System Tracker, about 4 in 10 deaths were vaccinated or boosted. By April 2022, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data show that about 6 in 10 adults dying of COVID-19 were vaccinated or boosted, and that’s remained true through at least August 2022”
Old 12-03-2022, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Just like those who say we need more guns to stop the violence when all the stats show that the more guns we have, the more people die from being shot.
So, the answer is no?

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, pit, bull, villages, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.