"Pit bulls" at Villages area dog parks.

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Veteran member

I have had 2 bad experiences with pitbulls. I believe they are a very powerful, dangerous, and unpredictible breed. They are banned in many cities and military bases. Google news them and you will read about their behavior. On two separate occasions pitbulls have attacked my beagle. The first time I was able to scare it off with a stick after it jumped a chain link fence and attacked us. The second time a pitbull ran right through my stick and grabbed my 13 inch beagle by the rear leg as she tried to run away. My lease stopped her and it almost tore her rear leg. Two surgeries, 13 staples, and 3 rows of stitches inside and out and her leg was saved. I beat it with a stick and it would not let go. I jumped on it and grabbed it the jaws. I was able to pull it off and that is when her leg tore open. It then grabbed her by the head tearing her mouth open and nearly ripped her eye. I tackled it and choked it until it let go of her head. I received a small puncture to my hand.
Trust me.. we are no match for them. Google video them and you can see their unprovoked attacks. They are apparently very loyal and nice to their owners but many children, animals and adults have been maimed and killed by this breed. I now carry chemical repellant and pepper spray. I will tackle another one if I have to in order to save my best friend, but I probably wont be so lucky next time.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Eternal Member

And now you know why I would not bring my dog to a dog park - if he was still alive.

Not to consider the fleas and diseases that the other dogs spread.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Friends don't let friends own PITBULLS.......

And why in the h--- would you want too, .
Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Sage

Believe it or not Fum, there are many people who love that breed and claim that they are sweet and gentle and say they wouldnt hurt anything.

Personally, I dont buy it!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I am with you zcaveman!
When we first moved here we took ours over the bridge to the dog park, but not any more. Too many people take unhealthy dogs there and we don't want ours to pick up anything.
I seen animal control over there about a week ago....I wonder if they were checking for tags and shots?
Our pups prefer our cyv anyway.
CAUTION.owners of small dogs
There are lots of Hawks,owls, Falcons and yes Eagles in the area. To them a small dog is the same as a Rabbit or Squirrel........LUNCH!
If you have a small pet outside you should be out with them keeping an eye out.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Taltarzac
Default Doggie Doo Run Run does have an area for troublesome dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
The park is a good size so would it be possible to have a section of the park fenced off for certain breeds of dogs? That way all owners with their dogs would have a place to go. Just a thought.

The agility course area at Doggie Doo Run Run is often used by people with dogs that have had many problems with other dogs or are just problematic to begin with.

I had thought though that pit bulls are not allowed at DDRR. I had seen this on their web-site at some point.

In about 2.5 years of using DDRR, I have only seen one full blooded pit bull type dog there. There have been several pit bull type breeds at DDRR, but just that one Am. Staff which my dog and it seems other dogs have had problems with in the past few weeks.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-14-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
Pepper Spray is not specifically covered under the Law covering concealed weapons in Florida.
Apparently, it is legal. I was just viewing the WESH tv website to read the story re: the domestic shooting in TV. There was another story on that site, stating that a Winter Springs Company (Skyline USA) was giving away pepper spray at a downtown Orlando site. Certainly, the company is looking for free publicity. But, the authorities didn't stop the giveaway, so it must be legal to carry in Florida. I don't know whether or not there are limitations on its use in specific counties.

Woohoo...guns and pepper spray. They'll make me feel safe. (Just kidding.)
Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Taltarzac
Default Here's the link to the DDRR website which says no pit bulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
The agility course area at Doggie Doo Run Run is often used by people with dogs that have had many problems with other dogs or are just problematic to begin with.

I had thought though that pit bulls are not allowed at DDRR. I had seen this on their web-site at some point.

In about 2.5 years of using DDRR, I have only seen one full blooded pit bull type dog there. There have been several pit bull type breeds at DDRR, but just that one Am. Staff which my dog and it seems other dogs have had problems with in the past few weeks.
http://doggiedoorun.homestead.com/home.html

Of course, an American Staffordshire Terrier is a pit bull type dog and not per se a "pit bull".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.