"Pit bulls" at Villages area dog parks.

Closed Thread
Old 11-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Taltarzac
Default "Pit bulls" at Villages area dog parks.

Please use a little common sense if you own a pit bull type dog and feel the need to take it to a Villages area dog park.

This link has some good guidelines about these dogs. http://www.pbrc.net/socializing.html

I know a very well behaved pit bull type mix that frequents one Village area dog park. This dog is often more afraid of the large dogs than most of the small dogs at the dog park.

Over the weekend, however, I had a very bad experience at one of the Village area dog parks with an American Staffordshire Terrier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...dshire_Terrier and her owners. They seemed to think it was OK for their dog to pin and hold down with her jaws another dog that happened to snarl at their dog because the pit bull type dog threatened the much smaller dog.

Some owners have to realize how traumatic seeing your dog in the jaws of a pit bull type dog is!!!

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-09-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Now that sounds like a real problem and one that won't end well.

Well Tal.

I have to admire you for how you stated this problem. As you know I am not a dog owner, but I am a dog lover. Our three kitties take up all of our animal space at the moment...........but I know I would have had to write more emotionally had I observed a dog bully a smaller dog in that manner.

Not good. Not good at all.

I know that Kate and Bare and you Tal spend a lot of time at the dog park with your furry family members, and Beady did and will when she gets her new puppy, and this worries me for all the people and their dogs who go there.

What can be done to avert a disaster???

GG

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-10-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Personally, I turn into a pit bull when anyone threatens my sweet dog or family. Hopefully the owners of the dog park will intervene before a disaster happens.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Please use a little common sense if you own a pit bull type dog and feel the need to take it to a Villages area dog park.

This link has some good guidelines about these dogs. http://www.pbrc.net/socializing.html

I know a very well behaved pit bull type mix that frequents one Village area dog park. This dog is often more afraid of the large dogs than most of the small dogs at the dog park.

Over the weekend, however, I had a very bad experience at one of the Village area dog parks with an American Staffordshire Terrier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...dshire_Terrier and her owners. They seemed to think it was OK for their dog to pin and hold down with her jaws another dog that happened to snarl at their dog because the pit bull type dog threatened the much smaller dog.

Some owners have to realize how traumatic seeing your dog in the jaws of a pit bull type dog is!!!
Actually, that (snarling) dog pinned my little 10 lb dog to the ground. The owner ran over and said the dog was just playing and put it on a leash. It didn't harm my dog, but it certainly scared me.

One good thing about private dog parks is that an aggressive dog can be reported to the owners. And the owners will ban the dog from returning.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well Tal.

I have to admire you for how you stated this problem. As you know I am not a dog owner, but I am a dog lover. Our three kitties take up all of our animal space at the moment...........but I know I would have had to write more emotionally had I observed a dog bully a smaller dog in that manner.

Not good. Not good at all.

I know that Kate and Bare and you Tal spend a lot of time at the dog park with your furry family members, and Beady did and will when she gets her new puppy, and this worries me for all the people and their dogs who go there.

What can be done to avert a disaster???

GG

lets make sure that we are just not targeting a dog because of a sterotype. I noticed in the park one day 2 chows. Chows are out to bite more than the American Pit Bull is. While you may think a dog is bieng aggressive, it can very well be its way to play also.

Dont want to get started because it is a "PIT BULL" thing going on. Just make sure you understand the Breed. Dont get people going on all Pit Bulls are the same.

Money out
Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 AM

I don't care what it is Pit Bull , Chow or Yorkie I'm going to protect my family including my dogs! Well a Yorkie may not be that much of a threat, but you get my point.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Sage

Having worked at an animal shelter for over 20 years I have come in contact with many many "pit Bulls." I wont say that the breed is out to attack and fight at the drop of a hat, but I have seen many of them agressively try to attack other dogs.Unfortunately at times they were successful. When this happened the effects were disasterous because the Pitt Bull has extremely powerful jaws and once they latch on they wont let go! The result is not pretty. I am extremely cautious when I am around them because I have seen the damage they can do to another animal. They are also extremely fast when they attack.

Please know that I love all dogs, even the Staffordshire terriers , but please be aware of the dangers if something happens to trigger them to fight, and for some reason this breed seems very ready to fight. I will probably take a lot of heat for this post Im sorry if I offended any Pitt Bull owners, but I think it pays to be extra cautious.

on another note. this breed can be one of the most lovable, affectionate , breeds I have ever been in contact with.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.

Last edited by nONIE; 11-10-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Nonie.

I know that you can be counted on for your absolute love of animals, your knowlege of canine behavior and for your absolute fairness. I appreciate your very thoughtful post.

GG
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
lets make sure that we are just not targeting a dog because of a sterotype. Dont want to get started because it is a "PIT BULL" thing going on. Just make sure you understand the Breed. Dont get people going on all Pit Bulls are the same.

GMONEY, I agree with your comment that Pit Bulls shouldn't automatically be given a "vicious" label. However, like many of the larger breeds, Pit Bulls are very fast and strong, and tend to be on the aggressive side. Unlike golden retrievers for instance! I think it pays to be cautious around any large dog.

The Pit Bull in question streaked toward my 10 lb dog at the Dog Park, and pinned him to the ground, snarling. Luckily the owner reacted quickly, ran out and leashed the dog. I was very frightened that my dog would be injured. I don't believe that any highly aggressive dog belongs at a dog park, or any public venue, regardless of breed.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Eternal Member

I had a episode with one at Doggie Doo Run several weeks ago. Had never seen it there before but when I opened the gate to let Ringo in, it bolted toward her snarling but stopped short of making contact when the owner called to it. Ringo is not small but would be no match for a Pit Bull.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Gold member

Does anyone carry pepper spray, just in case?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Sage

Ya know BobKat, that is not such a bad idea. It would not permanently harm the animal and hopefully encourage him to release!

I have been in situations where I have grabbed anything closest to me and started hitting the dog over the head as hard as I could and it still would not release. This is a horrifyingly frightening situation to be in. the only thing that had any effect on the pitt bull was spraying the dog with a hose in the face. Even pouring a bucket of water over its head did not phase it in the least. Unfortunately by the time you locate a hose a great deal of damage is done to the victim.

Is it legal to carry pepper spray in Florida?

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
Ya know Bobcat, that is not such a bad idea. It would not permanently harm the animal and hopefully encourage him to release!

I have been in situations where I have grabbed anything closest to me and started hitting the dog over the head as hard as I could and it still would not release. This is a horrifyingly frightening situation to be in. the only thing that had any effect on the Pitt bull was spraying the dog with a hose in the face. Even pouring a bucket of water over its head did not phase it in the least. chi lout Unfortunately by the time you locate a hose a great deal of damage is done to the victim.

Is it legal to carry pepper spray in Florida?
Pepper Spray is not specifically covered under the Law covering concealed weapons in Florida.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned
Exclamation Pit Bull

I worry as much about the owner of a pit bull as the dog. Any owner that would bring one of these dogs in contact with other dogs or children is as dangerous as the dog due to their lack of knowledge about the breed. I find them a great animal and they have their place, but that place is not anywhere near other dogs. It is their instinct to attack and attack they will if given the slightist oppertunity. The owner is the safest of all in and around a pit bull, but even they get the bite end of a pit bull on occation. No where does if it looks like a duck etc. apply when refering the the danger of a pit bull.

Lou
Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

The park is a good size so would it be possible to have a section of the park fenced off for certain breeds of dogs? That way all owners with their dogs would have a place to go. Just a thought.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.