Poem - Dog's Prayer

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Sage
Default Poem - Dog's Prayer

I hope evryone enjoys this poem.

A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I am crying

Just thinking of my Little Gracie girl who absolutely adores me. Here is her picture

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Sage

Beautiful 2B and a wonderful reminder of why I love my 2 fur kids so much. Thanks for a wonderful way to start my day.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Eternal Member

I love this. It always makes me cry !
Old 12-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

That did it. I am choked up. I was prepared for a schmaltzy sappy poem, and it was, but it was also true. My fuzzy little pal is snuggled up next to me right now even though there is a cozy blanket nearby.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum member

That's a wonderful poem! Maybe it's time for a puppy in the 2BNTV household!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Talking A Dog's Prayer by Beth Norman Harris.

Despina Reads "A Dog's Prayer" By Beth Norman Harris - YouTube

A woman at Doggie Doo Run Run (Joyce) gave me a copy of this poem framed while I was looking for a dog to fill the hole Sport's passing created.

Here is it read by a woman with a neat accent.

More about Beth Norman Harris. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ticated-animal
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.