Protective vests for police K9s

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Protective vests for police K9s

This is a follow-up to the tragic death of the Pittsburgh Police K-9, Rocco. A New England non-profit has raised $120,000 in three days to provide bullet- and stab-proof vests for police K-9s across the country. The vests will be embroidered with the words "In memory of Rocco, Pittsburgh Police K-9."

Groupon is supporting this campaign. From the article:

Go to Vested Interest in K9s, Inc. Deal of the Day | Groupon by March 5 to purchase a Groupon tax-deductible donation. The suggested donation is $10. K-9 vests purchased with money donated Feb. 15-March 5 will be embroidered with the Rocco tribute. The vests should be available in early June. Donations also can be mailed to Box 9, East Taunton, Mass. 02718.

Read more: Pet Tales: Protective K-9 vests will honor Rocco - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Thumbs up Love the idea

Aw that's a great way for us all to give a little. I love it and will go to try and find it in Groupon. Thank you ;0)
Old 02-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What a wonderful goal. They are such wonderful animals.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Cyndy. It is a WONDERFUL goal, but will the vests hamper the movements of these wonderful dogs or make them otherwise hot or uncomfortable? I would want them to be protected, but wouldn't their natural grace and quick unhampered movements be another protection to them?
Gracie, I wondered about that too. I don't know. You can read more about the program at Home | Vested Interest in K-9s, Inc.. They have donated over 500 vests to police K-9s since 2009. The North Huntington police department (suburb of Pittsburgh) has just received three for their dogs. I guess with those numbers, the police departments must feel they will not hamper the dogs' movements.

By the way, Ben Roethlisberger, quarterback for the Pgh. Steelers, has bought a new police dog for the K-9 officer Rocco's handler. He founded a non-profit to provide K-9 dogs and training for police departments across the country, with emphasis on Pittsburgh.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Gracie, I wondered about that too. I don't know. You can read more about the program at Home | Vested Interest in K-9s, Inc.. They have donated over 500 vests to police K-9s since 2009. The North Huntington police department (suburb of Pittsburgh) has just received three for their dogs. I guess with those numbers, the police departments must feel they will not hamper the dogs' movements.

By the way, Ben Roethlisberger, quarterback for the Pgh. Steelers, has bought a new police dog for the K-9 officer Rocco's handler. He founded a non-profit to provide K-9 dogs and training for police departments across the country, with emphasis on Pittsburgh.

Oh Cyndy. I posted above and changed it. My immediate thought was good, GREAT....but would Crosby be safer if he wore one if he was a cop-dog?

I have thrown skepticism in the way of kindness and acted as if I didn't trust your good sense. Of COURSE they would have researched this.

I am sorry I typed that.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh Cyndy. I posted above and changed it. My immediate thought was good, GREAT....but would Crosby be safer if he wore one if he was a cop-dog?

I have thrown skepticism in the way of kindness and acted as if I didn't trust your good sense. Of COURSE they would have researched this.

I am sorry I typed that.
No worries! I wondered the same thing and looked them up to read about it before donating.

Crosby is very safe sans vest because he would never make the cut as a cop-dog!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.