Question for Mini Schnauzer Owners

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Default Question for Mini Schnauzer Owners

I feed mine Royal Canin Mini Schnauzer 25 kibble and was just curious what other owners feed their minis. I'm worried that mine is getting bored with his kibble, but I only want to change if I find another food that I know agrees with schnauzer's tender tummies.
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM

No schnauzers here, but I've fed my 3-pound Yorkshire Terrier the Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier food for 10 of his 12 years. I may be totally wrong, but I honestly don't think dogs get "bored" with their food. I think all dogs go through times where they eat more than other times.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Over the years I have been proudly owned by 3 miniature schnauzers. All lived long happy lives and were usually fed a special Science Diet formula because of their tendency to have liver/bladder problems. Once in a while they would let me have a couple of nibbles as a treat and I never once got bored.

Relax, they want affection and fun over food and in return will give a big welcome home and unconditional love. You just have to do everything their way.

Enjoy!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARENNN View Post
I feed mine Royal Canin Mini Schnauzer 25 kibble and was just curious what other owners feed their minis. I'm worried that mine is getting bored with his kibble, but I only want to change if I find another food that I know agrees with schnauzer's tender tummies.
Thanks!
Don't have a schnauzer any more but vet told me in general that the was to create a picky eater is to keep changing his for. Stick to what you're giving him unless there is a medical reason to change.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Safe & Nutritious Dog Food

Just as for humans, it is healthier for dogs to get their nutrition from a variety of sources, and not be fed the same food their entire lives. And, dogs do get bored. Imagine if all you could eat your entire life was dry kibble . . . every day . . . every meal. Taste is one of the five senses that God gave all creatures, and dogs' taste is heightened by their strong sense of smell.

There are a couple of pet food stores within TV that feature healthy dog foods. Royal Canin is a good food. I also recommend Orijen, Solid Gold, Evanger's, and many others in these stores. Several brands feature foods that are made for delicate digestive tracks.

I spent two years researching dog foods before I opened my own retail business (now retired). Most of you would be shocked to learn what unedible things are really in most dog foods. The big corporations that produce our human foods take all the spoiled, cancerous, inedible items that should be disposed of, and put it in dog food. Just to make another buck. Since "dog food" was invented by these big corporations, dogs have suffered from an increase in cancer, major illnesses and shortened lifespans.

If you love your dog, google "the truth about dog food" and you will see a number of sites describing this topic in detail. You can also google "dog food ratings" and you should be able to find a short questionaire that will help you determine if your dog's food is safe.

Let me just say in closing, that you cannot find any dog foods that are healthy or safe for your dog in any grocery store or in Walmart. Do the research and choose wisely.

Sorry to be on a soapbox, but dog nutrition is one of my passions.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Have had 2 mini schnauzers that have since passed, now 1 mini and a rescue shih tzu. The shih tzu is the picky eater, would prefer certain people foods, but for the most part likes Science Diet. The mini will eat anything, even a bug or two when she can catch them. So, to avoid problems they both eat the same food. But I mix the Science Diet with other brands, not all at once, but just for some variety. And they do get "soft" food, usually Spot's stew or some other natural brand. And yes, they do get people food on occasion.
If they didn't know the difference, how come when I cook certain foods they come running to see if they can have some too? They have a great sense of smell, and seem to know chicken from vegetables.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.