Rules for dog owners

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie325 View Post
There is an open area right off of the Lopez course. In the evening (4-7pm) I have seen many people bringing their dogs via golf cart or walking (on the recreation path that goes through Lopez).

My last thought is for Talk Host...a while back you asked why so many people drive their golf carts with their dogs a long for the ride! Now I get it!
Item #1. That area along the recreation trail near Lopez is not sanctioned by the management. Owners let their dogs run without leashes and it has very much caught the attention of the management and Marion County animal control. Those dogs don't just have fun and run around, they are allowed off the leash and chase joggers, walkers and bicyclists. Many of the owners are defiant and respond rudely (sometimes downright ugly) to those who fearfully complain when they are chased or barked (or nipped) at. I know at least a half dozen people, my wife and I included, that will not go near that area in the evening because of the danger posed by the unleashed dogs. I have spoken personally to Marion County Animal Control, and they have assured me that they are planning to issue warning, then citations to all offenders as the opportunity permits. We'll see.

Item #2. In my earlier post, I didn't ask why so many people ride with dogs in their carts. I asked why people drive with their dogs IN THEIR LAP. It is unsafe for the dog, the owner, other drivers and pedestrians. One false move by the dog and it can mean disaster. One attempt by the drive to avoid a dangerous situation when the dog is in the way, and it can mean disaster. I can't understand, at all, how a clear thinking individual can justify driving with the obstruction of a dog on his lap. Would you put a child on your lap while you drive?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 PM

My dog is driven by car only and if we go on long trips, she has a doggie seat belt on. I always have her on a leash, to avoid the risk of endangering her or anyone else. That's why the CY is great for pets. She can run free and her doggie door is only locked up at night. I don't think the pet owners who drive with dogs on their laps or with the dog's head sticking out of a car window realize the risk they put their pet in.
Malverne, NY
Stormville, NY
PT TV
Old 12-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Taltarzac
Default I have heard that the area near the Springdale Fitness Trail is F.P.C-SECO property.

From my walk on Christmas on the Springdale Fitness Trail it looked like the evening dog meeting place Talk Host mentions is on F.P.C.-SECO private property. This meeting area is just north of the Springdale Recreation Center on the east side of the Springdale Fitness Trail.

Not sure how the Villages management could stop people from using this? Of course, the Marion police department can issue citations for dogs off leash and maybe the F.P.C. -SECO could do something.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-28-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoffer View Post
I have a 100+ pound yellow lab... kind as can be but kinda dumb. Fortunately we live on a corner lot but old Bumpkus likes to take walks. I am fanatical about respecting others property. Unfortunately we live deep in Duval, a mile from the main road, Odell Circle ,where there are areas old Bumpkus can still do his duty when were on a walk without freaking me or anybody else out. Problem is, it's tough teaching an 8 yo lab from the mountains of Central Pa to hold it till he gets to an ok area... I think he's slowly learning but itsa slow learning curve. I will not have another dog in TV after old Bumpkus finds that golden fireplug in the sky.... Till then we walk in the MIDDLE of the streets till we get to a "safe" area. Others should too.
I had a 90 lb Shepherd-chow that we transplanted from northwest NJ. When it was time, he went. I took a small shovel (entrenching tool) and put a Public' plastic bag on the business end and walked him. If he dropped to do his doddy, I would put the shovel under him and catch it. Then I would just reverse the bag over the shovel and it was all neatly packed. I even used this procedure in our yard and down at the walking areas. Nothing ever hit the ground - except for a couple of misses. And then I picked that up with the shovel and paper towels I carried.

In November, Bartholomew went to the big open field in the sky and is enjoying the scenery and waiting for me and the missus to join him.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.

Last edited by zcaveman; 12-28-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Sage
Arrow I love Dogs!

I'm glad this thread is called "Rules for Dog Owners." I can never understand why people think it's "the animals" fault when something goes wrong.

Quick story: I have a friend in Chicago that had a dog trained for bodily protection. Guard dog. Well one day his niece, who he adores, 4 years old, jumped into his bed as he was napping to surprise him. (Her mother should have known better.) The dog attacked the little girl. 40 stitches in forehead. The mother demanded that he put the dog down, but he said "NO. He was just doing his job." And I respected him for that. Fast forward, that little girl who is now in her 30's, is a vet assistant and adores animals. No fear. That's the happy ending. But it could have been really bad. I blame the mother, not the dog.

Point is, animals will be animals. Train the people! Some people should just not own animals.

I have to say, just as my own rule of thumb, I can't trust and don't trust people that do not like animals.

Last edited by chelsea24; 01-19-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Platinum member
Default Just A Reminder

Failure to abide by the rules may cause your neighbor to be spayed or neutered.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Horrors. Well maybe...................justice.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Chelsea,

Do I make your list of animal haters? I'm not particularly fond of spiders and snakes.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I had a 90 lb Shepherd-chow that we transplanted from northwest NJ. When it was time, he went. I took a small shovel (entrenching tool) and put a Public' plastic bag on the business end and walked him. If he dropped to do his doddy, I would put the shovel under him and catch it. Then I would just reverse the bag over the shovel and it was all neatly packed. I even used this procedure in our yard and down at the walking areas. Nothing ever hit the ground - except for a couple of misses. And then I picked that up with the shovel and paper towels I carried.

In November, Bartholomew went to the big open field in the sky and is enjoying the scenery and waiting for me and the missus to join him.
sorry to hear about Bartholomew... I gotta work on my eye hand coordination... dogs are wonderful companions... I have NEVER been without one.... but TV is close quarters... it's tough to have a 100 # lab in TV.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Sage
Default Me Neither!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Chelsea,

Do I make your list of animal haters? I'm not particularly fond of spiders and snakes.

No Tony, not if you love most animals. Spiders and snakes are not on my list!

I did fall in love with a rat once! Hahaha! No I mean my husband was doing surgery on a rat and I thought I would hate it, but boy was I pulling for that little thing. It turned out fine by the way. His name is Ian and one of my hubby's vet techs owns him. Still going strong!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 AM

I get equally upset at the smokers who "flick" their cigarette butts on my lawn, sidewalk, streets & golf cart paths. We need rules for smokers!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Sage
Arrow Agree and Disagree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
I get equally upset at the smokers who "flick" their cigarette butts on my lawn, sidewalk, streets & golf cart paths. We need rules for smokers!
I'm a smoker, but I'm a polite smoker. I never flick a cigarette butt anywhere, not on lawns, not on streets, not on roadsides. That's just discourteous, plus I like my own environment clean and litter free. On this we agree.

But more rules for smokers! Puh-lease! We have more rules now than we know what to do with! We can smoke on this side of a room and not the other. On this side of a cruise ship, but not the other. On this slot machine, but not the one next to it. Not in restaurants, but outside table is fine. Cannot smoke within 10 feet or so of Airport entrance. Geesh, this list goes one and one.

In my opinion, they should have more rules for alcohol consumption. It flows freely all through The Villages, even encourages it with Happy Hours, people carrying flasks! And I can guarantee you, more innocent people are killed by drunk drivers than second hand smoke. Car accidents, cart accidents, people being hit while walking, riding bikes. I'll get off my smoker's soapbox, when I see more rules for drunks.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

In keeping with the theme of this string.....

Dog owners should not let their canines smoke or drink alcoholic beverages to excess.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Default TV too close for dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoffer View Post
sorry to hear about Bartholomew... I gotta work on my eye hand coordination... dogs are wonderful companions... I have NEVER been without one.... but TV is close quarters... it's tough to have a 100 # lab in TV.
We are close to closing on our home in TV. And this thread is truly scaring me. I have a GSDog and she is the sweetest angel. But, if TV is not as "pet friendly" as it is "people friendly", perhaps it isn't the right choice for us. She's part of our family, after all.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshepherd View Post
We are close to closing on our home in TV. And this thread is truly scaring me. I have a GSDog and she is the sweetest angel. But, if TV is not as "pet friendly" as it is "people friendly", perhaps it isn't the right choice for us. She's part of our family, after all.
The Villages is people friendly and pet friendly. In the case of dogs, they must be on a leash when off the owners property. It is not a Villages rule, it is a county ordinance. You must also clean up your dogs waste when you walk the dog. The big discussion here surrounds people who allow their dogs to use other peoples yards as their private privy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.