Rules for dog owners

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2009, 08:00 AM

Allow fences
Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

People love pets here. It is so interesting to see people stop and ask dog owners about their dog on the square. I have seen such beautiful dogs out walking their owners. We have cats and so we can't be "proud parents" outside of the house, but have seen some beautiful kitties at peoples homes. I wonder sometimes when I am reading these posts if there should be a Village of "BARK" just for pet owners.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshepherd View Post
We are close to closing on our home in TV. And this thread is truly scaring me. I have a GSDog and she is the sweetest angel. But, if TV is not as "pet friendly" as it is "people friendly", perhaps it isn't the right choice for us. She's part of our family, after all.
to you and your dog. (A word of caution ... ignore any dog-related posts by Fumar. )

Be not afraid. Our two dogs are also an important part of our family and they love it in TV. One weighs 70+ lbs. There are many, many pet lovers in TV! If you respect other peoples' property and pick up after your dog, you should be very happy here.

The Villages currently provides a dog park in Historical, east of 441. There is a new dog park underway for the Springdale Walking Trail area (up by CR 42). I'm told TV is looking at another possible site close to 466.

There is also Doggie Doo Run Run which is Dog Heaven. It is privately run, and an exceptional place to take your dog. It is a bargain at $25 per month. It is located just a mile or two north of 466 at Southern Trace Plaza.

One more suggestion .. a courtyard villa with a fenced yard makes dog containment easy and painless. They can bop around day or night with no supervision. Easy peasy.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM

I don't know too many places that don't have a leash law these days and I agree that picking up after anothers pet is more than distasteful. The move will be an adjustment for our pup without her fenced yard and a new routine will need to be set. The information about where/where not to take her has been helpful.
Thank you!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 AM

Wow! Barefoot and Gracie girl! I feel so much better after reading your posts. ::deep breath:: We are really responsible pet owners and I was really freaking out thinking OMG...what if they think MY dog did it! And I GET the gift package of poo on my doorstep! Scary enough making this move, we really don't want to start off on the wrong foot because of "Kira". Bless U!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Sage

JohnnyM and Barbara just adopted Prancer, a greyhound. I often see them at Lake Sumter Landing with Prancer. He gets lots of admiration. (The dog, not Johnny.) Many people enjoy taking their dogs for golf cart rides and walking in the two Town Squares.

At our postal station, many residents walk to get their mail and take their dogs for a walk there.

There are numerous pet clubs, The Responsible Dog Owners Club, Dynamic Dogs, Pet Lovers, etc.

I think that you'll find that TV is definitely pet friendly!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Sage
Smile Pet Lovers! Yes!

GSheperd, The Villages is definitely filled with pet lovers. My husband is a Veterinarian. We have cats, but are going to get a puppy. I see dogs everywhere as stated, in the squares, at the mailbox, etc. The majority of TV loves dogs. Please don't feel intimidated in any way because of a few crabby people. If those same people didn't have dogs to complain about, they'd find something else. But seriously, they are in the minority. We welcome all dogs! And besides the dog parks, there are other events that you see dogs in like parades, etc.

(I agree Bare. Don't pay attention to Fumar posts. He's really just joking. He says he eats dogs, but that's just his sense of humor! Although I do think I saw him with an Opossum leg hanging out of his mouth once! )

To The Villages. You'll love it!

Last edited by chelsea24; 01-19-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Platinum member
Talking A puppy???!!!!!!!!!

Chelsea, A PUPPY???!!!!!!!!! WHAT?? Did vetman finally give in? WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Come on girl, tell us!

Whats the scoop? Do we have a pug puppy in the near future????
:
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Dancing Thyme

Gshepherd: I agree with Chels, Bare and GG, this place is doggie heaven. Everyone here loves animals, and if they can stand my crazy schnauzers, they'll all love your doggies too. Have no fear, we all love animals. That's why I moved here and haven't been disappointed yet. Welcome to TV, in my next life I wanna come back as a dog in the villages.....

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned
Default Dog rules

i have to say i agree with auto show. When we first moved in several neighbors walk their dogs all the time and they used extended leases so the dog would end up on our property. We put a sign out "please keep your dog off our property." We do not own a dog and do not want a dog on our lawn after spending thousands for landscaping. We just prefer not to own a dog now in our life because we are just so busy in the villages!! we don't have time and really don't want the responsibility of a dog. But i do have many opinions on dogs. If you own a dog, keep the dog on your property not ours!! pick up of course thats a no-brainer. and when we come to visit you PLEASE put your dog away. you may love your dog but i've gotten jumped on by dogs, scratched by dogs and hair all over my new clothes. we love to visit friends, but sometimes it's hard when they dont' know to put their animals away. We owned dogs in the past and of course we all had fences so we kept our dogs in our own yards or walked to woods. The dog park is a great place for you to take your dog or a courtyard villa as others mentioned is a great idea. Consideraton of others is really the key. we always put our dog away when we had company as we understood others may not want a dog jumping up on them or be a dog lover. We were always considerate. we're glad we did not buy an end piece of property as we know quite a few people who have problems with dog walkers letting the dogs use their property as their personal bathrooms. It's just this simple - you may love your dog but don't infringe on others who don't own a dog or want one. If we all respect each other, we can get along and live peacefully.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshepherd View Post
We are close to closing on our home in TV. And this thread is truly scaring me. I have a GSDog and she is the sweetest angel. But, if TV is not as "pet friendly" as it is "people friendly", perhaps it isn't the right choice for us. She's part of our family, after all.
It's like anywhere else... some miserable people scowl at you as you are out walking with your beloved 4 legged companion and others stop, chat, pet, scratch and talk doggie talk... ignore the miserable ones and enjoy the friendly ones.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novelchick View Post
i have to say i agree with auto show. When we first moved in several neighbors walk their dogs all the time and they used extended leases so the dog would end up on our property. We put a sign out "please keep your dog off our property." We do not own a dog and do not want a dog on our lawn after spending thousands for landscaping. We just prefer not to own a dog now in our life because we are just so busy in the villages!! we don't have time and really don't want the responsibility of a dog. But i do have many opinions on dogs. If you own a dog, keep the dog on your property not ours!! pick up of course thats a no-brainer. and when we come to visit you PLEASE put your dog away. you may love your dog but i've gotten jumped on by dogs, scratched by dogs and hair all over my new clothes. we love to visit friends, but sometimes it's hard when they dont' know to put their animals away. We owned dogs in the past and of course we all had fences so we kept our dogs in our own yards or walked to woods. The dog park is a great place for you to take your dog or a courtyard villa as others mentioned is a great idea. Consideraton of others is really the key. we always put our dog away when we had company as we understood others may not want a dog jumping up on them or be a dog lover. We were always considerate. we're glad we did not buy an end piece of property as we know quite a few people who have problems with dog walkers letting the dogs use their property as their personal bathrooms. It's just this simple - you may love your dog but don't infringe on others who don't own a dog or want one. If we all respect each other, we can get along and live peacefully.
Rod Serling did a great Twilight Zone episode based on this.... anyone remember it?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, information and warm welcome to TV! It can't be soon enough for me to pack us all up and get out of the frozen tundra of New England. Chelsea, does your husband practice in TV? Kathy, Ronda, Barefoot, and others....your great! Thanks for putting my concerns to rest. Now, I just need a map of where the dog facilities are. Does such a thing exist? Enjoy the sunshine, you lucky "dogs".
Old 01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Default How about on your own property?

Just asking. If you create a small area where your dog(s) can "go" in your yard, won't that make everybody happy? After Bowser has finished, you can pick up, & walk him. If he gets the "urge" while on the walk, have your baggie ready (of course this doesn't apply to urine) & for gosh sakes, keep him off residential lawns. No problem.
P.S. I have seen dogs "go" on the side of the road, not on peoples' grass.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned
Default Dogs rules

we have friends who have an electric fence for their dog and love it. Most people do pick up after their dogs. it's the ones that don't that cause the problems and that is when arguments start. You sound considerate and concerned so i'm sure you'll have no problem
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.