Safe & Nutritious Dog Food

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram

K-9 Lover,
I had PM you last year regarding dog foods. Your advise has been so helpful. My female shepherd has so many issues that the correct food is important. We switched to Blue Buffalo (lamb and brown rice) for her and for the first time in a long time she looks healthy. Poor little girl was bit by a brown recluse this summer so she has had a real battle. For treats I have used the Blue Buffalo and whenever I can I'll buy The Three Dog Bakery treats. Expensive but she loves them. Do you have any recipes for making dog treats?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Dog Biscuit Recipe - Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Crunchy Biscuits

Recipe By : K9-Lovers
Preparation Time :1 hour

Amount Measure Ingredient
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups oats
3/4 cup peanut butter -- creamy or chunky
2 1/2 cups hot water

Mix all ingredients, adding more hot water if dough is too sticky. Knead well. Roll out to 1/4" and cut into shapes with cookie cutter. Bake on greased cookie sheet, parchment paper or silpat at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool in oven overnight. Don't open oven until morning.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Dog Cookies - Meaty & Soft

Meaty Soft Dog Cookies

Recipe By : K9-Lovers
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:30

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 small jars Baby Food Meat
1/4 cup Powdered Milk
1/4 cup Wheat Germ

Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Roll into small balls and place on well-greased cookie sheet (or silpat). Flatten slightly with a fork. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until brown. Cool on wire racks and store in refrigerator. Freeze cookies not eaten in 2 days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpingram View Post
K-9 Lover,
I had PM you last year regarding dog foods. Your advise has been so helpful. My female shepherd has so many issues that the correct food is important. We switched to Blue Buffalo (lamb and brown rice) for her and for the first time in a long time she looks healthy. Poor little girl was bit by a brown recluse this summer so she has had a real battle. For treats I have used the Blue Buffalo and whenever I can I'll buy The Three Dog Bakery treats. Expensive but she loves them. Do you have any recipes for making dog treats?
I'm so glad to hear she is feeling better and looking healthier.

Brown recluse? Thank God she survived! Three Dog Bakery are wonderful treats, but try my recipes . . . the peanut butter biscuit is really good. If you don't have cookie cutters, use a pizza cutter wheel and cut into any shape (that's faster, too). Some dogs are allergic to peanuts, so watch her carefully the first time you give her one of these.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.