Saying Goodbye

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Sage

Duffysmom, I am so sorry for your loss. Remember the good times you had with your beautiful Duffy. You will meet Duffy someday at the Rainbow Bridge.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Default sorry

So very sorry, we lost our baby 14 months ago. We both said "never again". This past month, we've adopted two rescues. I know how much it hurts, but you did the right thing and Duffy is at peace.

I don't know who wrote this, and it is too soon, but come back and read this after some time has passed:

LAST WILL & TESTAMENT OF A DOG:

Before humans die, they leave their last will and testament, give their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask:

To a poor and lonely stray I give:
My happy home,
My bowl, comfy bed, soft pillow and all my toys
The lap I loved so much
The hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice that spoke my name.
I’d will to the sad, scared shelter dog the place I had in my loving human’s heart, of which there seemed no bounds.
So when I die, please do not say “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and pain is more than I can stand.” Instead go find an unloved dog, one whose life has no joy or hope and give MY place to him.
It’s the only thing I can give….the love I left behind.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Gold member

Oh my gosh, I'm just reading this.......please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss. Duffy certainly had wonderful parents and I know he gave you so much love in return. My thoughts are with you and your family during this very sad time.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Deb, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think the very hardest thing about losing a pet is the feeling that we could have done more, been a better pet mom. I can really relate to your comment "I still struggle with my choice".

Any time I've had a pet euthanized, I've felt the same way. I've had at least 15 pets including dogs, cats and horses. If we choose to end a pet's life before they suffer unnecessarily, we always second guess ourselves. It's the right thing to do, to not allow a pet to suffer. Our animals trust us to make the right choice for them. But it's such a hard decision to make.

I had my Himalayan cat euthanized in January. I had her for 20 years. I always think losing a pet will get easier, but it never does. I still cry when I walk down the pet food aisle at Publix and see the cat food.
Thank you Barefoot. I really needed to hear that I made the right decision. Your post has brought me some much needed peace. God bless.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

I am so sorry about the loss of your Duffy. There are so many of us that know how you feel due to our own personal experiences. Just know that the love you felt for Duffy came back twofold---nothing is any better than the love of a pet----so unconditional -- so pure. We had to say good-bye to our Maxie Dog so many years ago but we have so many wonderful memories of him---still laugh and talk about him. I know the decision we had to make for him to leave us was done with love and I know that he knew that too. We take comfort in that--hope you can too.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Veteran member

So sorry to hear of your loss. Duffy was beautiful. I've lost a couple cats over the years and understand how devastated you are. You did the right thing for Duffy. Until you meet again, you'll keep Duffy in your heart.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Sage

Duffysmom - I've been thinking about you all week. And I've been thinking of Deb and Florida Gal and others that have recently lost pets. I think that the kindest thing we can do for beloved pets is to make sure they don't suffer. I hope that the passage of time is helping to ease your grief.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Reading everyones experiences with their pets and the love expressed has been a comfort to me. Having to decide to take the the life of a loving trusting pet is one of the most difficult things I've had to do and I'm learning to live with that decision. I feel that Duffy was suffering and looked to me to stop the pain; I'm grateful that Dr. Angel Smith came to my home and made the experience as loving as possible. Mostly I'm grateful that Duffy was my companion for 13 years and taught me about unconditional love. Now I have to learn to live in my world without him.
Barefoot, thank you for your kind words of wisdom and for Dr.Angel Smith.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Duffysmom,

We are truly sorry for your loss. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that he was loved throughout his life, and, when the time came, you showed your love for him even more.

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.