Service Dogs

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Service Dogs

My grandson is almost 4 and handicapped. He can not sit-up, stand, and has CP on top of a host of other things. Mentally he is fine- just trying to catch up with communication. He signs now.

So far the organizations they have looked into are charging about $14,000 per dog plus 2 weeks for them to go train with the dog.

I know that some Villagers start training service dogs, but am trying to find out what organizations they are doing it through. Any information would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thank you!

Becky
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Sage

Becky - I had no idea they charged that much for service dogs. Have they thought about a fund raiser? I'm sure a service dog would make a huge difference in that little boy's life - best of luck.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 PM

I know there are a number of Puppy Raisers for Southeastern Guide Dogs who live in The Villages and nearby areas. Southeastern is based in Palmetto, FL (not far from Bradenton), and they provide the guide dogs free of charge to those who are visually impaired/legally blind (event though it's estimated to cost approx $60K to breed, raise, train, and support a guide dog team.)

I do believe the minimum age to get a guide dog is 18, however, for the dogs who don't make it as guides for the blind are often put in their "gifted canines" program, which provides canine companions for other disabilities and doesn't have the 18 yr old age requirement.

Here's their website: guidedogs.org

By the way, Southeastern is having a Walk-a-thon on 3/15 at the Polo Club. Even if you don't walk the the 1.5K track, come for all the fun and bring your own dogs! Lots of entertainment and a great way to learn about Southeastern.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Thank you for the info!!

Becky

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.