Shocking but true...

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Shocking but true...

I recently realized that at my age (71) it wouldn't be fair to get a puppy. If I were to get a puppy it would be a small breed and they can live for up to 18 years. 71 + 18 = 89. YIKES!!! What a shock, I'm too old for a young pup. So many things to accept as I age but then again I've never been happier so it's just another thing to accept. I know that an older rescue is the way to go but it was a shocking thought nonetheless. Over and out.......
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

Oh, I definitely hear you and know what you're saying. At a "young" 58, I'm feeling my age more and more every day. I'm starting to think like, "Well, if I have only 25 more Christmases" and stuff like that. My pups are 2, so I suspect they will be our last furbabies. I just REALLY hear ya!!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I understand. I do. But a little fellow is waiting somewhere to be loved. Older dogs and folks love to be loved.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum member

I know, I've had the same thoughts. I know there are many older dogs that need homes and love in their lives, I'm always looking at Petfinder and rescue sites. I see the ones that are seniors or have special needs, I just don't know if I'm strong enough to deal with it. I wonder if you feel different when you adopt an older dog.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I recently realized that at my age (71) it wouldn't be fair to get a puppy. If I were to get a puppy it would be a small breed and they can live for up to 18 years. 71 + 18 = 89. YIKES!!! What a shock, I'm too old for a young pup. So many things to accept as I age but then again I've never been happier so it's just another thing to accept. I know that an older rescue is the way to go but it was a shocking thought nonetheless. Over and out.......
Too bad you're not from the planet Ork (Mork & Mindy) whereas you would be growing younger every year and have another 70 years to have an love many more Duffy's. Nanoo nanoo!

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Sage

Bless your heart, but I guess it's the truth. Some lucky senior dog may just find their way into you heart and home.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
A lot of older dogs in Shelters have been owned by seniors who couldn't keep them due to health issues. As we age, it gets scary to worry about what might happen to our pets if we suddenly become infirm. I met a couple yesterday at the dog park that had adopted an 11 year old dog. I think it is wonderful when people adopt older dogs.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Platinum member

You can always have a back up plan for your littles ones.
Something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/hospicehearts

I am the back up for a friend of mine the is 25 years older than I.
When they adopted a older dog we signed so they could get the dog and feel
confident that their loved one would be taken care of.
The 1st dog as now past on. We have now adopted a 2nd older dog with them.
Older dogs are hard to place. Many recuse will work out a plan like this with you.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
I am the back up for a friend of mine the is 25 years older than I.
When they adopted a older dog, we signed so they could get the dog and feel
confident that their loved one would be taken care of. Older dogs are hard to place. Many recuse will work out a plan like this with you.
Your friends are VERY fortunate to have a younger friend that offers to be a back-up. Hats off to you. That's a wonderful gift to give a friend.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,364 Times in 2,083 Posts

We signed a contract with Sumter County Humane Society for our rescue that if we can no longer take care of him we have to return him to SCHS. He had been with a Villages' woman before us who had also got him with this arrangement. She got Parkinson's so bad that she could not bath him so she gave him back to the SCHS. He was 4.5 when we got him more than 6 years ago.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Gold member

If I were to get another dog it would be a Senior dog. Right now we have a senior dog and a young dog. The senior is much less work. He sleeps through the night and a lot during the day. The young dog hears ever sound. He barks or cries when he hears something outside, on tv, when he is hungry (many, many times a day) or if you rattle something in the kitchen. He gets up around 3:00 a.m. every day. Sometimes 2:30, sometimes 3:30. Good thing I don't mind getting up early with him. The Senior dog sleeps all night long and is definitely not an early riser. He is not deaf by any means, but he does not hear every sound outside nor does he hear us in the kitchen making noise. When he is awake he likes to cuddle and run around and play. He sleeps alot and I can get things done around the house. With the younger dog, he is always under foot and wanting to eat or go out or be held or getting into something or crying because the golf cart left without him or I have stepped outside the house. To me the Senior dog is a lot less work and just the right amount of activity and playfullness. I love both our dogs, but if given the choice and I found the right dog I would go with a Senior in the future. Plus there are a lot of Senior dogs needing homes because most people think they need a puppy or young dog. There isn't any right or wrong answer as to whether a person should get a puppy, adult, or Senior. It just seems like a Senior works out better for our family. The young dog is like having a young child at home.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Duffy'smom

I have thought of you often and wondered how you are doing since you lost your beloved Duffy. For me, it is good to see that you are ready to give another dog a good home.

Yesterday we put down our Sheltie of 17.5 years. Very hard to do but was necessary. I think we will adopt a puppy but I think sometime in our future we will also adopt a mid range to senior dog. You see we didn't mind that she was deaf and could hardly see or that we had to carry outside for 3 mos so she could do her business...she had been extremely faithful to us.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
I have thought of you often and wondered how you are doing since you lost your beloved Duffy. For me, it is good to see that you are ready to give another dog a good home.

Yesterday we put down our Sheltie of 17.5 years. Very hard to do but was necessary. I think we will adopt a puppy but I think sometime in our future we will also adopt a mid range to senior dog. You see we didn't mind that she was deaf and could hardly see or that we had to carry outside for 3 mos so she could do her business...she had been extremely faithful to us.
sssmith I just read your post with tears in my eyes. I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Sheltie passing, it is extremely hard to lose a member of the family. How wonderful that she had such loving care in the last few months of life. I'm also happy to hear that there are a couple of dogs out there who will be blessed to become members of your family. I'm sending you a virtual hug.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Gold member

After our 2nd of 2 dogs died in 2008 we decided we would wait; like that's going to happen.
3 months later we adopted 2 Shi Tzu/ Maltese brothers from the same litter and brought them back to FL from Petoskey, MI and they wore us out!
I'll take as many years that they can give us and after that adopt an older dog.
Ben and Jerry are the sweetest dogs I have ever had the privilege of taking care of.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.