Size and type of dog restrictions?

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Smile Size and type of dog restrictions?

I am new to the site. I am looking for information about restrictions regarding the size or type of dogs allowed in the Village of Charlotte. Does anyone have any information on that? My husband & I moved down here in July. Loving it so far!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

So far as I know, there is no limitation on size or breed. I've seen everything from a bull mastiff to a teacup chihuahua. In the Vilage of Hemmingway, I know of a German Shepherds, 2 Rottweilers, 1 Great Dane (Cato), 1 Bernese Mountain Dog, 1 Pyrenees (Prada), at least 2 Boxers, Cassie the snowflake Bassett Hound and who knows how many little fluff doggies.

The only rule seems to be that dogs must be leashed (even in their own yards). The number of pets is limited to two, but you can bring in all of your pets from your former household . They cannot replaced with new critters until you get the count down to two pets per household.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instead View Post
I am new to the site. I am looking for information about restrictions regarding the size or type of dogs allowed in the Village of Charlotte. Does anyone have any information on that? My husband & I moved down here in July. Loving it so far!
Welcome to The Villages and TOTV.
Two pets per household. In the older deed restrictions, they had a weight restriction (under 40 pounds). The later deed restrictions eliiminated the weight restriction. You can check your deed restrictions on this link.

Village Community Development Districts
Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instead View Post
I am new to the site. I am looking for information about restrictions regarding the size or type of dogs allowed in the Village of Charlotte. Does anyone have any information on that?
Welcome to TOTV! We purchased a home here because The Villages was the only retirement community we could find in Florida that allowed two dogs without size restrictions. As you can see from my picture, we love big dogs!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum member

No restrictions on type or size. We have a full-size collie and there is a Great Dane on the street, several labradoodles and golden retrievers.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Sage

Size is not a problem, but dogs bread specifically to kill other dogs like the Pitt bull may be a problem.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Sage

Be sure to check with your insurance company. My mom had a rotty and had trouble getting homeowners insurance because she had a "dangerous" dog. She finally got insurance, but had a considerable premium surcharge because of the dog.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Size is not a problem, but dogs bread specifically to kill other dogs like the Pitt bull may be a problem.
Don't go there - there are no bad pitt bulls - only bad pit bull owners.
And no I don't have a pit bull, I have a standard poodle and Australian shepherd, but have had the privilege of meeting some wonderful pit bulls that had wonderful owners - same true for rottweilers.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Don't go there - there are no bad pitt bulls - only bad pit bull owners.
And no I don't have a pit bull, I have a standard poodle and Australian shepherd, but have had the privilege of meeting some wonderful pit bulls that had wonderful owners - same true for rottweilers.
Agree, I don't want to deter from the topic but have to say agree about the pits, I have met many wonderful pits. I didn't have any experience with pits before my volunteer work and boy, have my eyes been opened to how great they are. As with all breeds, it can be that the owners make them not so good. Bless all their souls.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Taken from a search on the internet:
[]Dog Homeowners Liability Insurance | Dangerous Dog Breed Coverage | Einhorn Insurance

•Pit Bulls & Staffordshire Terriers
•Doberman Pinschers
•Rottweilers
•Chows
•Great Danes
•Presa Canarios
•Akitas
•Alaskan Malamutes
•German Shepherds
•Siberian Huskies
•Wolf-hybrids
•Or a mix of any of the above

Old 12-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Gotta admit that there are some breeds that absolutely scare me. I used to judge dog shows and I was adamant that the handler hold the dog's mouth and open it for me when I needed to check teeth (for a couple, muzzles were required). Pitt bulls and Rotties were not one of them. Chows and Shar-Peis were. So were Presa Canarios and Malamutes (love them but you have to really know the dog to be sure they're safe). Bull mastiffs are sweeties unless they're having thyroid problems -- then it is time to stay away from them (even the owners) until the meds have regulated them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

The lack of size restriction was one of the reasons we bought in TV. The second very important reason was fencing. Oh, bless you CYV!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.