So is TV not dog friendly?

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2024, 10:17 AM
Loriemoms
Default So is TV not dog friendly?

I didnt mean to start so many arguments.

Last edited by Loriemoms; 02-23-2024 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

The answer is the Villages is mostly very dog friendly. I would guess approximately close to have of the residents are dog owners. There are some bad/lazy dog owners that give all a bad rap and a small minority of vocal dog haters that don’t represent the general population. As long as you don’t let your dog(s) do it’s business on private property, pick up after your dog, and don’t put a fake service vest on it and bring it with you places only real service dogs are allowed, you will find the Villages to be a great place for dogs.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

TV is dog friendly as long as their owners are neighbor friendly. Keep them out of neighbors yards (no pee or poop ing). Lots of dog owners here. You will like TV.
Personally, I love dogs, but I am the cranky old guy that yells "keep off my lawn". And I mean it.
Now, come on down, bring your furry friends and enjoy.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriemoms View Post
We are moving in mid march...we have two mid size dogs who are spoiled couch potatoes. We traveled a lot with them in our RV so they are used to being walked etc. We bought a courtyard villa so they will most likely do most of thier hanging out in our yard. We are super duper conscious of picking up after them. And hate people who don't pick up after thier dogs! My question is they do love thier walks..and one of them just LOVES people..he wants everyone to pet him but he knows he has to respect others. Is walking along the walking paths that big of an issue with your dog as I am reading? We don't care for dog parks as people don't watch thier dogs..is this the only options besides our yard? Are dogs really banned from the squares? Just trying to prepare ourselves...

As Tophcfa said, at least 50% of Villagers have dogs and they're welcome most everywhere, by most people, including in the Squares.

My dog is mostly a Golden, so he believes everyone's goal in life, is to pet him. Around The Villages, he seems to be right.

I also think you'll fid a different grade of owners at the Dog Parks, than you're perhaps used to. Most everyone is always conscious of where their dog/s are and what they're doing.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
We are moving in mid march...we have two mid size dogs who are spoiled couch potatoes. We traveled a lot with them in our RV so they are used to being walked etc. We bought a courtyard villa so they will most likely do most of thier hanging out in our yard. We are super duper conscious of picking up after them. And hate people who don't pick up after thier dogs! My question is they do love thier walks..and one of them just LOVES people..he wants everyone to pet him but he knows he has to respect others. Is walking along the walking paths that big of an issue with your dog as I am reading? We don't care for dog parks as people don't watch thier dogs..is this the only options besides our yard? Are dogs really banned from the squares? Just trying to prepare ourselves...
I would categorize TV as very dog friendly. Nearly everyone including myself has or had dogs and we love them to death! But… the owners have to deserve it too. It is not the dog’s fault if the owner lets it on another person’s property. It is not the dog’s fault if the owner takes it inside where the dog is not allowed. You may want to check the street you are considering to live on, as to what do the other people who have dogs do? Don’t ask your sales person, guess what is in their best interest to say? If everyone lets dogs crap on their property then it’s expected that you will too. And your property is fair game.

If everyone is respectful of other people’ lawn efforts (and even a tiny lawn here costs thousands a year to maintain as we are working against the natural environment in someways to have a lawn in the first place) then find out where do they take their dogs? Do they get their dog to go on their own property first and then take it for a walk? As most of us do in my neighborhood?

We also have common areas that are more acceptable than private lawns, and we have beautiful dog parks. Not much swimming available for dogs nearby (alligators) so it if that is important to you, buy a home with a pool.

There are no walking paths near my house and most houses but there are sidewalks near by. As far as the squares go, I believe the dancing area at the square is where you don’t want your dogs. The music can be quite loud and certain times very crowded and unless you have the dogs in your lap so they are not stepped on, those times I wouldn’t take them.

On the whole, I can’t imagine where you might be more welcome than TV with your pooches.

Last edited by Velvet; 02-22-2024 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Some people treat their dogs as if they are their children - I don't get it but let's go with it for a bit...

- If your child regularly throws trash on my yard I am not going to like it, even if you regularly come over to clean it up.
- If your child stands in your yard and screams all day I am not going to like it.
- If your child runs in front of my bicycle or golf cart while walking on the MMP I am not going to like it.
- If your child runs over to me and jumps on my I am not going to like it.
- If your child yells at the squares, jumps on me at the squares, or runs around causing a hazard I am not going to like it.

MOST dog owners in the Villages, the VAST MAJORITY of dog owners in the Villages don't allow the above to happen. MOST dogs in the Villages seem to be well behaved or at least well controlled and don't cause any problems at all. The complaints you see on this forum usually concern the small minority of dogs or owners who just can't seem to behave properly.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-22-2024, 11:40 AM

The only thing not mention here, so far, are natural predators. While walking your dog, don't do it near the ponds, as in just off shore. Stay to the walking paths or near them, as gators love them too. Also, depending on size, the winged variety are also out there and even in your back yard, could be taken from you. We had a friend that lost a puppy to a hawk, while it was out in the back yard playing...
Old 02-22-2024, 11:46 AM
Gold member

I am a dog owner & my experience is that my neighborhood is extremely dog friendly. Many of my neighbors have dogs, most I would say. Over 50% for sure, maybe I'll count someday. Several of my neighbors have invited me to walk the dog on their yards. (I haven't done it, but I do appreciate the kindness behind their invitation).

The only place I have found dog haters is here on this forum. Maybe they are in my neighborhood, but having seen me walking my dog, they don't share their hateful views with me. Maybe they are keyboard warriors, & post things they would never say in person. I don't know.

I always walk my dog on a leash, always pick up after him & don't allow him on other people's lawns. I leave him home when I go shopping & I don't bring him to the squares as I don't think he would like the crowds or the noise. Maybe I will try it once, just to see. He is a little guy & I would hold him on my lap, & leave if he started to cry or acted as if he were uncomfortable. But basically, I think both he & I would have a better time if I left him home when I go to the squares. He gets to nap & I get to enjoy the music.

I hope you have all of the same good experiences I have had, & meet similar kind & friendly people.

Oh, the leash walking, picking up, etc. seems to be universal among the dog owners in my neighborhood, maybe that is why we are treated so well. I have never seen a loose dog here, & if I did, I would be sure the little rascal had escaped & I would call him to me, so that we could have a friendly, leashed walk back to his house.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
The only thing not mention here, so far, are natural prHow Much Weight Can a Hawk Carry?edators. While walking your dog, don't do it near the ponds, as in just off shore. Stay to the walking paths or near them, as gators love them too. Also, depending on size, the winged variety are also out there and even in your back yard, could be taken from you. We had a friend that lost a puppy to a hawk, while it was out in the back yard playing...
He said he had medium sized dogs, not bunny sized dogs. A hawk can only lift about five pounds. A full sized bald eagle about 15 pounds per some sources but less than 10 per others.

Alaska which is full of bald eagles and pets has this to say about the risk of an eagle taking your dog or cat
"Eagles Don’t Eat Children or Pets"

Last edited by blueash; 02-22-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:56 AM

So there you go.
Everyone loves dogs except the folks who don't.
All dogs are lovely apart from those that are a pain.
Can't see a problem. 'So come on Down.' Seems just like any other place in the US that has dogs and owners. Enjoy your stay.
Get off my lawn!
Old 02-22-2024, 11:58 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The answer is the Villages is mostly very dog friendly. I would guess approximately close to have of the residents are dog owners. There are some bad/lazy dog owners that give all a bad rap and a small minority of vocal dog haters that don’t represent the general population. As long as you don’t let your dog(s) do it’s business on private property, pick up after your dog, and don’t put a fake service vest on it and bring it with you places only real service dogs are allowed, you will find the Villages to be a great place for dogs.

Best post.

Like other poster OPINIONS, my opinion is there is far less than 50% of Villagers have dogs.
(but that should not impact you)
Old 02-22-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I love dogs(and other pets) and have had many dogs in my lifetime. I even trained them for a while, in the service. BUT, I don't appreciate or tolerate dog owners that allow their dog to use my lawn as a toilet. I spend a substantial amount of money on my landscaping. I would never/NEVER harm a dog, but I would be tempted with the owner. I had one dog owner walk her dogs up my driveway and allowed them to use my wife's flowers. I hate weeding my wife's garden but I love my wife and do NOT understand inconsiderate pet owners. Owners that should NOT own pets that they can not take care of properly.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
So there you go.
Everyone loves dogs except the folks who don't.
All dogs are lovely apart from those that are a pain.
Can't see a problem. 'So come on Down.' Seems just like any other place in the US that has dogs and owners. Enjoy your stay.
Get off my lawn!
Spot on!
Old 02-22-2024, 12:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
"Banned from the squares"? "No dogs on the walking paths"? "Crazy dog parks"?

What a load of B.S.! Who told you these things? I take my dog to the squares every time we go. I take him on a 3 mile walk every other day, on the MMT that runs down the high voltage lines next to Nancy Lopez all the way from Mulberry down to the dog park. We practice off-the-leash heal on nearly every walk. When we get to the woods surrounding the power plant, he romps off leash all the way around, socializing with all the other dogs doing the same thing. We go to the dog park every day and I can count on one pinky the number of times I have seen a serious problem there -- and that was some 40-something non-villager who thought it would be OK to bring their vicious pit bull to a dog park they had to walk a block just to get to, while they were RVing through Florida.

Whoever told you this must have a vicious un-trained, un-socialized dog that someone complained about. This is the most dog-friendly place I've ever lived!
Old 02-22-2024, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Best post.

Like other poster OPINIONS, my opinion is there is far less than 50% of Villagers have dogs.
(but that should not impact you)

In my neck of woods it’s about 25 to 30% and that’s on high side of guest IMO.
Closed Thread

Tags
thier, dogs, people, dog, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.