So is TV not dog friendly?

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2024, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriemoms View Post
We are moving in mid march...we have two mid size dogs who are spoiled couch potatoes. We traveled a lot with them in our RV so they are used to being walked etc. We bought a courtyard villa so they will most likely do most of thier hanging out in our yard. We are super duper conscious of picking up after them. And hate people who don't pick up after thier dogs! My question is they do love thier walks..and one of them just LOVES people..he wants everyone to pet him but he knows he has to respect others. Is walking along the walking paths that big of an issue with your dog as I am reading? We don't care for dog parks as people don't watch thier dogs..is this the only options besides our yard? Are dogs really banned from the squares? Just trying to prepare ourselves...
“walking along the walking paths that big of an issue with your dog as I am reading”

No. I wouldn’t let dog off leash. Or be within leash distance (short leash) to disturb traffic on path. MMP usually has lot of common area on both sides. There are few (very few) ahs out there so best keep distance unless invited.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:16 PM
Loriemoms

Thank you everyone!! This has been most helpful! So looking forward to meeting everyone
Old 02-22-2024, 04:44 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Thank you everyone!! This has been most helpful! So looking forward to meeting everyone
We are all much more enjoyable if you don't meet us.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:57 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
We are moving in mid march...we have two mid size dogs who are spoiled couch potatoes. We traveled a lot with them in our RV so they are used to being walked etc. We bought a courtyard villa so they will most likely do most of thier hanging out in our yard. We are super duper conscious of picking up after them. And hate people who don't pick up after thier dogs! My question is they do love thier walks..and one of them just LOVES people..he wants everyone to pet him but he knows he has to respect others. Is walking along the walking paths that big of an issue with your dog as I am reading? We don't care for dog parks as people don't watch thier dogs..is this the only options besides our yard? Are dogs really banned from the squares? Just trying to prepare ourselves...
Why do people insist on bringing their dogs everywhere? Dogs may be allowed at the squares but they shouldn't be. Why would you take a dog to a place with loud music & crowded with people? Dogs do not belong there nor do they belong at any public gathering, restaurant, grocery store or any other business. I don't care where pet owners walk their dogs whether on the MMP's, walking paths, or village streets BUT I do NOT want any dog doing his business in my yard whether the owner picks up after it or not.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

I use to get on my high horse and post about dog owners that walk their dog across the street to neighbors yard and leave, now, i sing a different note after i discovered a racoon and bunches of squirrels poop, sizeable too, and all poop that mysteriously disappeared the next day. Sooo my conclusion, a whole lotta poop about nothing, unless you own a dog the size of a horse!!!! Oh, btw, this is a dog friendly community for most of us.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Dog owner here...

Dogs are allowed on the walking paths. Just keep them on leash.

The dog parks? They seem okay, but my dog doesn't like them much. She'd rather sit in our lap than run around with the other dogs...

The squares? It's true that dogs are no allowed in the "Square Proper". That is the actual square, where the music is played. You can walk them Around the OUTSIDE of the actual square and on the side streets, they can walk as much as you/they wish...

Many of our neighbors carry dog treats when on their walks. As they approach, they ask if they can give our pup a treat. Only one neighbor has complained that out 13 lb Schoodle peed on his grass, He said it destroyed the grass. This was while his 50 lb lab was "copping a squat" right behind him... He left the pile and went inside... And his lawn look just fine (except for the land mines...)

We no longer walk on his side of the street...

As long as you're a considerate dog owner, you and your dog will love it in TV...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-22-2024, 06:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post

The only place I have found dog haters is here on this forum. Maybe they are in my neighborhood, but having seen me walking my dog, they don't share their hateful views with me. Maybe they are keyboard warriors, & post things they would never say in person.
Nailed it.

There are 10-15 hard-core haters who feel that they have to make multiple posts every time this subject is needlessly raised. They claim to "love dogs" but can't seem to understand that a dog going on their lawn will not ruin it, especially if picked up by the owner. Heck, most of these people probably put BlackCow in their yard. Guess what that is.

Learn who the chronic complainers are and you will be fine. If they're not miserable, they are not happy.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:09 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Best post.

Like other poster OPINIONS, my opinion is there is far less than 50% of Villagers have dogs.
(but that should not impact you)

58% of American Homeowners, supposedly have a dog.

63% of families with income over $100,000 have a dog (or 2).

Pet Ownership Statistics 2024 – Forbes Advisor

The numbers seem high, but it seems like a huge portion of Dog Owners in TV, have more than one dog.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
My takeaway on this post:

You have already gotten a home here, and will be living here three weeks from now. And today - three weeks before you move in, is when you first decided to ask about the community's perspective of dogs?

If you really wanted to prepare yourselves, you would've asked these questions the first day you decided to even WONDER about the Villages as an option for your next move. What would've happened if you found out - three weeks before move-in day - that the only option for your two medium sized dogs was to keep them penned up in your courtyard for the rest of their lives? What kind of "preparation" would you be making?

SMH - what kind of dog-lovers would move in to a place that they believe bans their pets, and then wait til three weeks before move-in day to ask for confirmation.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
58% of American Homeowners, supposedly have a dog.

63% of families with income over $100,000 have a dog (or 2).

Pet Ownership Statistics 2024 – Forbes Advisor

The numbers seem high, but it seems like a huge portion of Dog Owners in TV, have more than one dog.
Of the 40+ houses on my street, fewer than 10 of them have dogs. One of them has three dogs. A couple of people have two dogs. And the other 6 or 7 have just one. So that's only around 25% of residents on my street.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:30 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

You have already gotten a home here, and will be living here three weeks from now. And today - three weeks before you move in, is when you first decided to ask about the community's perspective of dogs?

If you really wanted to prepare yourselves, you would've asked these questions the first day you decided to even WONDER about the Villages as an option for your next move. What would've happened if you found out - three weeks before move-in day - that the only option for your two medium sized dogs was to keep them penned up in your courtyard for the rest of their lives? What kind of "preparation" would you be making?

SMH - what kind of dog-lovers would move in to a place that they believe bans their pets, and then wait til three weeks before move-in day to ask for confirmation.
Wow. Just wow. Harsh welcome to new folks.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Of the 40+ houses on my street, fewer than 10 of them have dogs. One of them has three dogs. A couple of people have two dogs. And the other 6 or 7 have just one. So that's only around 25% of residents on my street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Wow. Just wow. Harsh welcome to new folks.

There you go!

Harsh, but everything a dog owner should consider and Forbes magazine should know, if they want to be credible. Forbes apparently neglected to survey OBB's entire street when they did their survey.

Sounds a little self-centric, but what do I know?
Old 02-22-2024, 08:48 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Smile Best Wishes

I like to think so. Of course I can’t read minds and I’m not naive. We have a dog, and cant seem to live without one. Lawns can be damaged by female dogs or dogs on medication especially St. Augustine grass. Corner lots are frequently passed several times a day so remember to just keep them away from the lawn. A lawn in The Villages can be a great expense and often has a lot of personal work put into it. Try to be conscious that homeowners pay good money to fertilize, irrigate and cut those green patches. They run into chinch bugs and weeds that can be costly. If grass needs replaced a homeowner has to buy plugs or sod. The best practice is to just keep the dogs away from all the yards and all is great!

Pet Safety
Also when you walk your dog be careful in the summer months. It’s helpful to only walk the dog in the early hours or after dusk. The asphalt gets very warm and can burn the poor things feet. Always feel the roadway before walking when it’s hot out!

If you want the 100% answer, no. If you want the canine owner answer, maybe 80% of the time. There are caninemisos out there. They kind of stink like the land mines one sometimes encounters when owning a pet.

Good luck on your new buy!

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 02-23-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Nailed it.

There are 10-15 hard-core haters who feel that they have to make multiple posts every time this subject is needlessly raised. They claim to "love dogs" but can't seem to understand that a dog going on their lawn will not ruin it, especially if picked up by the owner. Heck, most of these people probably put BlackCow in their yard. Guess what that is.

Learn who the chronic complainers are and you will be fine. If they're not miserable, they are not happy.

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 02-22-2024, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:

And people wonder why TV is losing it's reputation as "America's Friendliest Home Town"...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
thier, dogs, people, dog, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.